SAU Community

splits crackling

KILL HSV

i tried a search but didn't really get the answer i was looking for

basically i've got a clarion head deck 50x4 watts or whatever, alpine splits rated at 250 watts, i think 50 rms

the problem is when i turn the volume up a bit in these babies the tweeters start to crackle, and there doesn't seem to be too much bass, have i just wired it wrong?

i've been in other new cars that have a way better sound than this, that only have similar setup, like subaru's and xr6's

anyone know where i'm going wrong?

possible dodgy connections, or that you've blown them...had them long? ran them hard? (be honest :) )

All the Alpine speakers I have seen are way quiet without an amp, so you gotta crank them, but then they have issues. I have had 2 sets of alpines (not splits) and will never go alpine again...i was given some alpine splits which i run now, same problem, but they are loud enough to hear, unlike the other ones.

possible dodgy connections, or that you've blown them...had them long? ran them hard? (be honest :D )

All the Alpine speakers I have seen are way quiet without an amp, so you gotta crank them, but then they have issues. I have had 2 sets of alpines (not splits) and will never go alpine again...i was given some alpine splits which i run now, same problem, but they are loud enough to hear, unlike the other ones.

i dunno it sort of sounds good down low, so i don't think i've blown them, i bought them at lifestyle and noticed that he was wearing a alpine shirt, (maybe gets dosh on the side to sell),

he showed me these other ones which looked slightly bigger, and a lot better bass, think they were jbl, mght get a couple of those jobies put them in the front, piss the sony crappers out of the back and put the alpine's in the back

• 3 weeks later...

Splits dont have bass, thats what splits are for, so you have splits, just hign freq and then u have ya subs for the low freq.

the crackling you hear is whats called low level distortion, its because you are serverly underpowering them, and when you crank up the head deck to get it loud you are maxin the built in head decks amp and its only putting in a fraction of the power that the tweeters want, i hope that makes sense, its hard to describe.. but of course you could still have dodgy connections or they could be stuffed .. to check them out its best to remove the mid bass speaker and put your ear realy close to it and gently push the cone in and out with your fingers and listen for a scratching noise, it you can hear a slight scratching noise they are stuffed ..

Trust me it will be worth while to but an amp, even a cheap one. I dont know if you know much about car stereo's but splits are used only if you are running a sub, splits dont put any bass out at all that why you use a sub .. if you just have your head deck and you dont have an amp and sub you should be running 3ways, for example have 6inch 3ways in the doors and a pair of 6x9's in the parcel shelf .. you should pack the splits up and put them aside for when you decide to get an amp and subs and buy the 6inch 3ways and 6x9's, you will be happy with the sound i bet ..

Kill HSV, half the info you have been fed is incorrect I'm afraid.

Seeing as you're in Sydney, can you come down and see me sometime and I'll sort the whole front end out for you. There are many things that can cause (crackling) and I have not got time to write a thesis on it here I'm afraid. :thumbsup:

Splits dont have bass, thats what splits are for, so you have splits, just hign freq and then u have ya subs for the low freq.

the crackling you hear is whats called low level distortion, its because you are serverly underpowering them, and when you crank up the head deck to get it loud you are maxin the built in head decks amp and its only putting in a fraction of the power that the tweeters want, i hope that makes sense, its hard to describe.. but of course you could still have dodgy connections or they could be stuffed .. to check them out its best to remove the mid bass speaker and put your ear realy close to it and gently push the cone in and out with your fingers and listen for a scratching noise, it you can hear a slight scratching noise they are stuffed ..

Trust me it will be worth while to but an amp, even a cheap one. I dont know if you know much about car stereo's but splits are used only if you are running a sub, splits dont put any bass out at all that why you use a sub .. if you just have your head deck and you dont have an amp and sub you should be running 3ways, for example have 6inch 3ways in the doors and a pair of 6x9's in the parcel shelf .. you should pack the splits up and put them aside for when you decide to get an amp and subs and buy the 6inch 3ways and 6x9's, you will be happy with the sound i bet ..

wow thanks man, didn't know that, suppose i'll be buying some 3 ways

Seeing as you're in Sydney, can you come down and see me sometime and I'll sort the whole front end out for you. There are many things that can cause (crackling) and I have not got time to write a thesis on it here I'm afraid. :rofl:

sounds like you do not no what your talking about he should buy a cheap amp and a set of 6x9 run the 6x9 of the amp and run the twetters of the head deck that way he can set the 6x9 through the amp and set the tweeters through the head deck like turn the bass down on the head deck and turn the bass up on the 6x9s

sounds like you do not no what your talking about he should buy a cheap amp and a set of 6x9 run the 6x9 of the amp and run the twetters of the head deck that way he can set the 6x9 through the amp and set the tweeters through the head deck like turn the bass down on the head deck and turn the bass up on the 6x9s

Tweeters from the head deck and 6x9's from the cheap amp.. lol He *could* do that.. but who wants a $200 p-plater sound system? Man I've heard this advice given out so many times and you end up with dumbass'es who don't know what sound well.. no front stage, no mid range and the whole thing underpowered.

If you're on a budget you're much better with (in order of budget allows) a decent H/U, front splits or coaxs from an amp and a sub from an amp.

Even no sub and decent fronts will kick the crap out of 6x9's in the back imo.

Right now I'm on a budget so I've got a pioneer 7650 (or thereabouts), a pioneer gmx414 amp 4 channel amp (discontinued and old but sounds nice) driving some focal polykevlar 2way 6.5" splits and the rear stock 6x9's turned way down for rear fill.

Noname $50 amp and $50 sub in a box (for now). If I have a large cashfall and my car is finally fine mechanically I'll be going for a 1.400 and a idmax 10" sub.

Fhrx knows what he's talkin bout, 10mins on the phone with him will tell you that much, or you could checkout his page on www.fhrxstudios.com .

Realistically though before you go buying new stuff try to fix the stuff you have already, and if you have the money talk to Fhrx he does some nice specials.

aaah... yeah. i'm with marty. and, no offense here Mick and others, but you've been ill-informed and are wrong. kill hsv, quite simply, it could be a whole plethora of problems causing you grief from wiring to dodgy components but let me assure you, it has nowt to do with "splits dont put any bass out at all that why you use a sub". "running 3ways, for example have 6inch 3ways in the doors and a pair of 6x9's in the parcel shelf" is not the right solution to your problem.... at all.

best of luck mate

d

Tweeters from the head deck and 6x9's from the cheap amp.. lol He *could* do that.. but who wants a $200 p-plater sound system? Man I've heard this advice given out so many times and you end up with dumbass'es who don't know what sound well.. no front stage, no mid range and the whole thing underpowered.

If you're on a budget you're much better with (in order of budget allows) a decent H/U, front splits or coaxs from an amp and a sub from an amp.

Even no sub and decent fronts will kick the crap out of 6x9's in the back imo.

Right now I'm on a budget so I've got a pioneer 7650 (or thereabouts), a pioneer gmx414 amp 4 channel amp (discontinued and old but sounds nice) driving some focal polykevlar 2way 6.5" splits and the rear stock 6x9's turned way down for rear fill.

Noname $50 amp and $50 sub in a box (for now). If I have a large cashfall and my car is finally fine mechanically I'll be going for a 1.400 and a idmax 10" sub.

Fhrx knows what he's talkin bout, 10mins on the phone with him will tell you that much, or you could checkout his page on www.fhrxstudios.com .

Realistically though before you go buying new stuff try to fix the stuff you have already, and if you have the money talk to Fhrx he does some nice specials.

sounds like you only got a $200 sound system lol

I have Splits, 2 Subs, 4 amps etc etc etc .. but not everyone has that kind of money to spend on a system .. if he put some nice 3ways in the front and some coaxles or 6x9's in the rear he should be happy ..

overboost, I don't suppose you have the specs to that Pyle amp anywhere do you? I'd like to have a look over them if I may. :(

ill have a look it should be here some wear but if not i am buying another pyle amp soon so when i do ill send you the specs