SAU Community

The story of my sick engine

Demon

Well guys, I ended up buying another GTR. It's a 1997 R33 GTR V-Spec. I bought it from Mr En One from SAU and I'm really beginning to regret it.

To cut a long story short, the car was in Tassie and so I had VIP inspect the car for me. The report came back all good, so I left the owner a deposit and got my lease company to draw out a cheque for him. He received the cheque within a couple of days and so I organsied the car to get on the boat at Devonport in Tassie to come to Sydney. He told me that Devonport was some 250-300kms from his home and he will get his "trustworthy" mate to drive the car to Devonport for me. Anyway the car arrives to Sydney, I pick it up from the wharf and to my horror, there is a noise in the motor. The car also arrives with the space saver wheel on the back right and the rim in the boot with the tyre absolutely shredded. When I get home I check the oil stick and find it to be dry.

I contact Mr En One, who puts me through to his mate who said that he noticed a noise after he changed to the space saver. Also, he explained that the tyre blew coz it was low on thread. VIP did tell me that both rears were low but the left rear had been replaced with another tyre, but not the right? I send VIP pics of the shredded tyre and they then explained that the tyre blew coz of high speeds around corners...

I get it towed to my mechanic who reckons the noise is not a big end knock and that the noise is in the head but he has decided to pull out the whole motor as this will take him only a little longer than pulling off the head. I've been in touch with Mr En One who has told me that his mate had nothing to do with the noise and that it probably happened on the boat..."Yeah right". He basically has told me that he wants nothing to do with me anymore.

I did read somewhere that sometimes the valve guides break and wedge into the pistons and then hit the head making a loud noise.

Anyway, when the motor comes out, my mechanic will probably take the head off and send it away but is it worthwhile taking off the sump to check the bearings? Is it also worthwhile to do the rings whilst the motor is out? Any info on where to source parts etc would be good.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey is this knocking sound like a big end my motor started knocking on the weekend and just thought straight away big end so call a tow truck to take me home. maybe mine could be valve guidese as well.

I hate reading stories like this. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it?

Dont just assume it was the mate though. The owner himself could of done the damage having "one last drive" before giving to it to you.

fatgts-r, u maybe absolutley right....

either way, ethics would say that he should put his hands up for some of the repairs...I mean, if I sold someone a car after they had it inspected and it turned out fine and then it gets damaged during the delivery or after they leave a deposit, I'd do what I can to help them.

Have you thought of contacting the police given that the condition of the car did not match the description (eg. shagged tyre, loose space saver, b0rked engine). I doubt there is much they can do, but even if they just speak to Mr En One it may give him enough of a jolt to become a bit more helpful.

Good luck: hope it works out.

Lucien.

PS. I would leave a negative Trader Rating too.

Have you thought of contacting the police given that the condition of the car did not match the description (eg. shagged tyre, loose space saver, b0rked engine).  I doubt there is much they can do, but even if they just speak to Mr En One it may give him enough of a jolt to become a bit more helpful.

Good luck: hope it works out.

Lucien.

PS. I would leave a negative Trader Rating too.

The cops cannot and will not do shit, the "ethics" maybe on demon's side, but the law in these matters is "buyer beware".

I'm sorry for your bad experience demon, and thank you for sharing so others can learn and hopefully avoid a similar situation, I hope your hip pocket doesn't take to much of a battering geting it on the road.

The cops cannot and will not do shit, the "ethics" maybe on demon's side, but the law in these matters is "buyer beware".

I'm sorry for your bad experience demon, and thank you for sharing so others can learn and hopefully avoid a similar situation, I hope your hip pocket doesn't take to much of a battering geting it on the road.

Well, you could argue that the item was not delivered in the condition in which it was purchased (according to the report Demon had done). Might be worth a talk to a lawyer friend if you have one: see if they can draft a letter on your behalf to the other party. Legal letters have a habit of illiciting a response.

It might be a wasted effort, but what is there to loose?

LW.

bummer. Don't get too down mate. you are doing the right thing having the engine out and if I was you I would turn it into a positive and have some kind of some baffles fitted, have them inspect the crank/pistons whilst the sump/head is off. Also maybe get the turbos checked out and maybe bolt on some nice dump pipes. When this is all done you will KNOW what condition the engine is in, and will have fitted some nice parts at the same time. Then you will be driving what is many peoples dream car. :)

yeah, I was thinking of talking to a lawyer...I'll look into it further. I don't know how they will treat this case - its a private deal so "buyer beware applies" .

I'm trying to look at it in a positive way....unfortunately I don't have that much money available if we find out more problems in the engine.

I wouldn't waste your time and money on a lawyer, it just wont get you anywhere, and because it's interstate you have even LESS chance of being successful if you do.

To put it in perspective, it's hard enough for the authorities to chase people who use dodgy tactics with bank cheques (yes, that's right, despite what they say a bank cheque is still not 100% cleared funds and as good as cash under the wrong/right circumstances) to make large purchases and piss off leaving the seller without EVER getting their money, it becomes next to impossible if they go over the state border.

It sucks, it's unethical, and the legal system isn't up to scratch. But that's the way it is atm unfortunately, I'd hate to see you throw more money away at a lawyer and get no where, if you can get one to have a "quick look" and advice you without charging like a wounded bull then run it buy them, otherwise you're just going to have soldier on and chalk it up to experience.

I would agree with you lwells, it was my car and then got damaged by someone else...but it could be argued that I allowed him to drive it...

I would agree with you lwells, it was my car and then got damaged by someone else...but it could be argued that I allowed him to drive it...

... but not with the expectation that he would drive it into the ground.

As I said, if you have a "lawyer friend" (ie. someone who can give you some legal advice/help without charging the earth) it might be worth drafting a letter with a few (nicely worded) threats.

I agree with Oosh that the chances of anything happening are low, but given a RB26 rebuild is $5K+, we aren't talking about lunch money here.

LW.

Yeah, I've got no lawyer friends but my wife has a friend who just completed a law degree. She doesn't practice but she might have some contacts...

If you look at his profile he has a business in Tas Im sure the office of fair trading would be interested in this case they probably cant do much but pressure is pressure.

Also an advert in his local paper can cause all sorts of things to happen.