SAU Community

The story of my sick engine

Demon

Yeah Mr En. One, you may have not driven it after vip checked it, didn't check the oil, blah blah blah , but fact is that your mate drove it for 300 kms to get it to Devonport and admitted that he heard a noise...I then get it with a stuffed engine....they are the facts...

I agree with you 1400r, his mate broke it so his mate should fix it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well there may have been problems the inspection didn't pickup, the car could have had a problem that could have been exasperated by giving it a good workout.. Any skyline should be able to be driven on redline for a couple of hundred km without a problem, if there was no problem.

To be honest I doubt it wouldn't have been anything you wouldn't have done sometime in the first 6 months of ownership to cause the same end-result. Its just one of those grey areas, and shit happens.

The way I figure with these things, if it was going to happen it was going to happen. It just happened to happen before you got hold of it really, which was a pity. Getting angry at anybody doesn't solve anything, fixing the engine will solve the problem.

The disclaimer on the report says that VIP's report is valid for 3 days only after which it becomes void. The car was inspected on the 17th Feb and the car left Tassie on the 26th February. I do have a reading of the kms from when they inspected and I received the car with about 300 kms more but this may not be enough. The car had also been sitting away in storage for 10 months so when I spoke to the inspector, he said that due to this reason and constant thrashing for 300kms, the car burnt all its oil. I know that they'll try to shift blame in any way but the fact is that they inspected it on the 17th Feb, the inspection is valid till 20th Feb, the car left Tassie on the 26th Feb.

Sorry, it's been a few days since I got back to this thread.

What's this 3 days crap? It's irrelevant anyway. They reckon the oil level was fine when they checked it, good that's exactly what you wanted to hear. Because that means it either had an oil leal, which they should have picked up. Or it used the oil in 300 k's, which again they should have picked up.

Even better, the inspector admitted that he knew it was stored for 10 months, he should have recommended an oil change if there was any doubt that the oil was good. Or if he thought the rings where stuck from no use, he should have warned you. There is no escape for VIP here, you have them by the nuts, start squeezing.

Get your mechanic to write a detailed letter on the engine's problems, attach that and the quote for the repairs to a letter of demand and send it to VIP. The longer you wait the less chance you have of getting some money. Time is not your friend.

Let me know how you get on, I always answer PM's:cheers:

SydneyKid,

I'll get my mechanic to write a report about the engine but I don't know if it will help. VIP will argue that there are some things that cannot be picked up in an inspection and that the previous owner could've given it a hard time after the inspection. VIP said that there was no oil leaks anywhere and Mr En. One confirmed this. What gives me the shits is that if there was a problem with the engine, then the previous owner would've known about it and it would've been nice to let me know. It's just good ethics...

I've read this whole thread and all I can say is that this is :bs!:

George gets the car with a stuffed engine after it was inspected by VIP who said all is good. The only thing that changed after VIP checked it was that it got driven for 300kms to the port!!!

For the record, I didnt drive the car after VIP checked it, didnt check the oil as VIP menttioned no problems with it, sold it for cheap therefore didnt change the tyre, arrived in Sydney with suggested problems... I cannot pinpoint the guilty party myself.

Ahhh, helloo...Mr En. One, your mate is the guilty party. Assuming you didn't drive it after it was inspected, then your mate was the last guy to do so, so I think he is responsible. Stop being a wanker about it and reach into your pocket and fork out some dough for the repairs :)

hmmmm i hate to be rude and state what happens in reality but as i see it you didnt inspect the car yourself so therfore you have to wear it......as far as i am concerned a lot of prepurchase inspections are not even worth wiping your behind with....over the last month or so i have checked various vehicles after one these inspections to only have to tell the owner that there car has had 1/4 panels put on,radiator support panels,back panels all been plug welded with a mig welder and not ground back to an acceptable standard caroliner jaw marks on the sill panels and my grandmother wouldve spotted all this!!!At the end of the day what has happened is bad practice and i am pretty sure its obvious that the guy that drove the car there done it.....but unfortunatly you have to wear it....on another note....theres no way i wouldve given permission for a complete stranger to drive it

sorry dude...

ylwgtr2,

The car was interstate and its hard for me to get time off work to go and see it so that's why these companies exist. I should've got it towed from his place to Devonport, that's my mistake....I guess you can't be too trusting these days.