SAU Community

Trust vs HKS turbos

shonen

Alright guys...heres the deal.

Was originally going to get a HKS GT2835 Pro S....which would have cost close to $5k including all the oil lines, gaskets etc to bolt straight in.

Got a quote today for a Trust TD05 18G kit for $500 less....it also includes oil lines and gaskets etc to bolt striaght in...AND it includes the greddy intake plenum.

Which would be the better choice ???

also I have a feeling the HKS one is slightly larger than the trust..........can someone please clarify this for me

Cheers

PS

Its for an R34 GTT

ahh so true.........should have made the title Garrett vs Mitsubishi.

but they said the TD05 will make around 280rwkw......where as the 2835 will make 319kw according to the HKS japan website.

but making that kind of power ill most probably need to toughen up the internals...which will blow the budget a bit.

Bob...I dont think you need a new exhuast manifold for the TD05....well not the 18G anyways.....its a low mount.

well I had my doubts from the begining that the TD05 will make as much power as the 2835.....however that Greddy intake plenum looks awesome...and tidys up the RB25 engine bay a little bit.

Question is...would I get any performance gains from it ?

One disadvantage is that I will lose the TCS

Had a TD05-18g on my GTT and it started to run out of puff by 230rwkw @ 1.2bar (17.5psi roughly)

Go with the 2835, got a mate with one on a GTT and it makes the same rwkw with lots to spare. He had some custom pipe work made though to get his turbo to fit.

shonen- about the greddy intake plenum no preformance gains unless u are reaching over 300rwkw.. standard is fine unless u got money to waste.

and r31nismoid

td06-25g makes around 300-330

td05 making 280

is that what the turbo is rated at ...? pls explain

yeah in regards to the TD05 thats what I was told by the people who quoted me the price..

obviously there were being a little biased/optimistic.

IanH

NICE website mate.......you got your car pretty much the same time I did and your website was one of the first ones I saw when I did a google search :P....my mate got inspired by your modified Top Secret front bar and is doing the same !!

shonen- about the greddy intake plenum no preformance gains unless u are reaching over 300rwkw.. standard is fine unless u got money to waste.

and r31nismoid  

td06-25g makes around 300-330

td05 making 280

is that what the turbo is rated at ...? pls explain

?

i was talking kw, and thats what the td06-25g made in real life... well.. acutally a few of i've seen are around that figure. thats why its was a bit broad.

i wouldnt expect a smaller turbo with a smaller housing to make close-to figures

The TD05 can make just as much as the 2835, difference is one is pushing 1.5 bars and the other 1 bar at about 400ps. I know because I was going buy a 2835 but decided to work the factory turbo to it's limits. The TD06-20G L2 is on par with the 2835.

Next upgrade either a TD06-25G or GT30 Pro...also about the same but the TD06-25G has prove itself time after time for my motor.

Basically choose the turbo that works well for your motor, see what turbo the tuning shops have used to get the best results.

A quick stupid question. I'm guessing that trust turbos '06' stands for the larger turbo housing. Is the -25g the size of the compressor wheel? Just wondering

Also IanH....how come your friend had to get some mods done to fit the turbo ??

I was told the 2835 Pro S is a straight bolt on.....no mods needed.....

on another note I was quoted $4.5k for the TD05 18G and greddy intake plenum

I am at this stage only willing to stretch to $6k MAX.......

would the extra $1.5k cover the cost of getting the TD06 25G instead and also the high mount manifolds ?........I have my doubts...but thought id ask :P

Hiya Shonen - Thanks for the praise!

My mates 2835 fitted fine, he just had some of the standard pipes replaced (AFM-Turbo & turbo to FMIC etc)

OHHH....ok....yeah ive already got different pipes for the fmic and will soon be replacing the AFM-Turbo piping.....

The constant rebuilding of plain bearing turbos wore pretty thin with me many years ago. If it hasn't got balls, I simply don't use it. I don't care what Trust compressor and turbine I come up with, I will always achieve faster boost build and more reliable operation from a ball bearing core. It is then a matter of matching the compressor and the turbine with what it is that you are trying to achieve (max power, driveablility, times etc).

I have read all of your posts in this thread shonen and I am still not sure what it is exactly that you want from your car. It's an auto isn't it? And I can't remember what other mods you have already done. Without that information, suggesting a turbo would be a waste of time from my perspective.:P