SAU Community

Jaycar Boost Controller, Hand Controller, Fuel Adjuster

funkymonkey

Funky - thanks but I found one at work. Its a male DB25 -> female DB9 but I'll just have to figure out the pins and wire it stright in, otherwise I think I have a DB9-DB25 converter at home. Otherwise I'll get one off a mate who reckons he might have one laying around at home. I had some but threw them all out about 6 months ago, thought I'd never need a serial cable again! :P

Might build the IEBC tonight too.. :(

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a male DB25 -> female DB9 but I'll just have to figure out the pins and wire it stright in, otherwise I think I have a DB9-DB25 converter at home.

dont rely on this, as the kit probably (almost definitely) doesnt use just the 2 or 3 pins rs232 often uses, but all of them. if they only needed 9 pins or less theyd use the db9 in first place

dont rely on this, as the kit probably (almost definitely) doesnt use just the 2 or 3 pins rs232 often uses, but all of them. if they only needed 9 pins or less theyd use the db9 in first place

Thanks for that NewKleer, I'd actually thought of that earlier today ;) It's logical! I found a DB25-DB9 at work today and a DB25 printer cable, and cut up that one. I cut off the printer plug end, then went through pin by pin working out what wire ran to what pin. So then I just soldered the wires onto the HC board where the respective pins would go (ie. pin 2 to pin 2, etc).

Then I applied some power, plugged it all in and it's all good! HC lit up in its green goodness and nothing appeared on the screen, so I just adjusted the contrast up a bit and text appeared :rofl:

Anyway cut a long story short, I've tested it fully and calibrated it so it's ready to go in my 180. I've also printed out the pinout for my ECU, so I might stick it in tomorrow night. But I cant wait! *thinks* 2 hours till bedtime, hrm I might go have a play :D

(BTW, funky if all my posts should be in SydneyKid's thread (rather than a group buy thread), move em over (you're a admin right?)) :)

Here's photos of the finish(ing)(ed) DFA/HC:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

cameron, should be in the mail now. Give it till monday depending on where you live?
Hi Shan,

I'm registering interest for the group buy for the following items:

1x Independant Electronic Boost Controller

1x Hand Controller

1x Cable

Which should be $151.80 including GST if I'm remember correctly. If you want I'll just make it a square $155 for your help in organising the buy and helping us out. Unless I also need to take postage into account? If thats the does $160 for all those items posted sound good?

Anyways hit me up with a PM or call me on 0403578014 when you've got enough numbers for the group buy. I might have 1 or 2 friends interested in everything above except for the DFA.

Cheers and thanks,

Andy

Hi again Shan,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've confirmed that my friends are also interested. So thats now 1xDFA, 1xHC and 2xCable extra ontop of my oder. Can you tell me how close we are to the second group buy? Or maybe you could start a new thread and list all the interested people?

Would just like this soon thats all. :P

Cheers,

Andy

Well I got the DFA installed last night but my car was running like a POS, but that was because I took off my AFM the other day and I think (well, now know for sure) that the electrical connections were a bit crappy because of lots of steering fluid over the connector (I have a leak in the pwr steer pressure line). So tonight I cleaned it all up and reset the DFA (and my ECU) and went out driv.. err...tuning. :) After driving around for about an hour and a half, down to Clayton (uni) and back, it's noticeably different. I don't have an air/fuel ratio meter nor my multimeter hooked up to the O2 sensor, so I was just guessing and going by the 'feel' and sound of the car. It certainly feels more responsive and harder coming onto boost. And driving on the freeway, my (loud) exhaust is quieter because I don't seem to have my foot as far down on the accelerator. I know because if I turn on my air con, I have to accelerate more on the freeway and my exhaust becomes louder. This is the opposite.

I'm happy with it:) I just need to build some kind of air/fuel meter and Jaycar/SC have a few projects of the like. Or I could just jam my multimeter on the O2 signal to watch the voltage but with the update rate of it, it might not help much. But yeah, no more burbling when slowing down in gear with 2k-3k revs :) Andddd no more backfiring when totally booting it after changing gears; well sometimes it does but its not as bad I don't think :)

Next up I'll build the IEBC, but I'm not in a hurry because I'm awaiting a Greddy boost gauge from Nengun in the mail. :)

does any one know where i can get the r33 rb25 det ecu pins? I can't find it. I finished building the IEBC and handcontroller. I used the 12v that goes to the head unit to test. Was very happy when the screen lit up. I think i'll use that as the power as i don't want to chop the ecu wires too much.

edit: How much for the digital thermometer. I might be up for 2 or 3 of them oil and water temp and 1 for me bro :)

getrippedoff, I think you guys do have enough for a second buy... Just wait till Tuesday when the last orders have reached their owners and then I'll get started on group buy #2 on a new thread.

BTW I have tracking numbers for the packages I sent out in the office, I'll PM them to you guys when I get in tomorrow.

does any one know where i can get the r33 rb25 det ecu pins? I can't find it. I finished building the IEBC and handcontroller. I used the 12v that goes to the head unit to test. Was very happy when the screen lit up. I think i'll use that as the power as i don't want to chop the ecu wires too much.

edit: How much for the digital thermometer. I might be up for 2 or 3 of them oil and water temp and 1 for me bro :rofl:

For those making these kits, the APEXi AVCR/SAFC2 wiring instructions might be very handy. I used the SAFC2 instructions to find the pins on my SR20DET ECU for the DFA because it uses the same ECU pins (AFM + power + GND). It looks like the AVCR instructions show the #1 injector input also so that might help with the IEBC. The instructions have ECU pinouts (well, only the pins you're concerned with when installing a AVCR/SAFC) for almost every Japanese car around.

They are on the APEXi website at:

AVCR: http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentat..._savcr_wire.pdf

SAFC2: http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentat.../AFC2Wiring.pdf

I'd also gotten some doccos from a quick Google search which included wire colours and stuff which was good for the verification that I was looking at the right wires. Try a Google/Yahoo/etc search for 'ecu pinout r33' or something. :cheers: