SAU Community

VL Turbo's so how do they stack Up!

Whilst walking around town I've noticed quite a few VL Turbo's in Adelaide.

I used to have an r33 gtst and naturally I'd imagine handling, interior etc to be far superior.. though how does a 'typical' street driven VL turbo cut its mustard with the rest?

Well being RB powered they can absolutely hammer with only a little modification

stock they're comparable in acceleration with a stock R32 I'd imagine, a little quicker than a stock import R31

but yeah there's not many stock ones left these days, most of them have a decent exhaust and intercooler stuck on them, more boost, computer, injectors yadda yadda

a lot of them on the road are 13-14 second quarter cars or better these days from my experience

handling and braking..... live axle rear hurts, Australian R31s are closest in design and handle better

Braking they have 4 wheel discs as opposed to n/a VLs which are disc front and drum rear

I think the turbo ones have bigger front rotors and corvette calipers

Similar size to R31 and R32 front brake setup i'd imagine

Whilst walking around town I've noticed quite a few VL Turbo's in Adelaide.

I used to have an r33 gtst and naturally I'd imagine handling, interior etc to be far superior.. though how does a 'typical' street driven VL turbo cut its mustard with the rest?

befor my vs cluby,r32 gtr i had 3 vl bt1's yeah they do go very well as all rb enignes without spendng too much,

they dont handle and the interior is plain and the worst thing is they are still going for way too much as they are the most popular car to get on your p's.

it all depends on what you want and how much attention you want from the pi$$gs..

i had one before my 32 and all i can say is they are awesome in a straight line but thats about it, i loved my VLT and had it for almost 2 years but i definitely don't regret selling it to buy my skyline they are just so much better engineered

I was impressed with my first ride in a vl turbo. Had a 5 speed, no intercooler, bov, boost set at 10psi. Love the torque of the 3litre. I picked up an r31 with an auto a couple of months ago as a run around, must say for a car with 340,000km its surprisingly bloody reliable. So far ive only got good things to say about the old one cam 3 litre.

Low 13's is very good for a 304 that rolls off the factory floor running a mid to high 15. :rofl:

No doubt it would have a really nice sounding cam.

A mate of mine ran a 15.8 in his stock auto 304 VL down the 1/4.

Low 13's is very good for a 304 that rolls off the factory floor running a mid to high 15. :rofl:

No doubt it would have a really nice sounding cam.

A mate of mine ran a 15.8 in his stock auto 304 VL down the 1/4.

Thats pretty crap when my old R31 can do 15.9

Up the corty! I used to own a TE 2L. That thing went hard for a 4cyl. I could keep up with VN's etc in first gear (then they would fly past). I could flog 202 commodores and 253 kingswoods though. I even beat a few auto 200 6cyl cortinas. It actually kept up with my R31 in first. It was a bit of a hole shot hero (compring shitboxes that it) It could do awesome burnouts too. Perfect first car I reckon.