SAU Community

Family car what would you get and why?

Ok looking at family cars, I've got 3 kids so must accommodate them Sedan, Hatch or Wagon. Looking at or around 30k maybe more depending on what it is.

So the question if you had three kids what family car would you be looking at and why.

To give you a idea I currently have a Mazda Astina SP20 so maybe something a little bigger on the inside and I don't want a Ford or a Holden.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've been lookin at:

WRX's

EVO's

R34 Sedan

Stagea

And right up the top is a Mazda MPS but thats pushing the budget just a little well alot.

I'm looking at manuals would prefer it to be turbo.

I wouldn't buy an Evo for a family car, unless your kids are still young. While the CT now has a longer wheelbase the CP I feel is only just OK. Perhaps I sit rather back which doesn't leave much room behind except for a small Japanese girl or young kid.

If you still want performance a JZX100 Chaser, is what I'd be looking at.

A R34 Skyline sedan would also be nice if you want Skyline.

edit: oppps $30K isn't going to stretch that much, a Mazda6 I feel is a pretty good buy.

I'm in a similar boat. Went R34 Sedan.

Apparently no more room in the back than

a coupe just access is much easier. Another

problem is the limited load access to boot.

Again same as coupe i imagine.

Its a compromise I guess. Between having

something that peforms yet is practical.

I don't think WRX or EVO would be any better

for access/space/practicality than a 34 sedan.

Stagea on the other hand may be a bit more

roomy. Wagons are useful for family. Might

have to convert to manual though most being

auto.

Hmm yes I was thinking that the EVO and the WRX might be a little small on the inside, my kids are 8, 7 and 5.

Chaser's are nice but they are hard to find in manual and from everything I've read about them the manual's arn't to strong.

Thanks for that zymotic doesn't sound to good.

Maybe I should see if I can get the money for a MPS (Mazda 6 sedan) but I don't see them being any bigger then a R34 Sedan.

I'm in a similar boat. Went R34 Sedan.

Apparently no more room in the back than

a coupe just access is much easier. Another

problem is the limited load access to boot.

Again same as coupe i imagine.

Its a compromise I guess. Between having

something that peforms yet is practical.

I don't think WRX or EVO would be any better

for access/space/practicality than a 34 sedan.

Stagea on the other hand may be a bit more

roomy. Wagons are useful for family. Might

have to convert to manual though most being

auto.

I reakon you should go to a yard with your family take a R34 Sedan and Stagea for a test drive. Or if you know someone with either. Might have difficulty finding a 34 sedan... especially due to u being in central QLD.

I'd offer a test in my GTT sedan if your birthday is before 30th Sept (insurance) but you'll have to wait about 6 weeks and drive to Northside Brisvegas.

Have to agree with leech. I don't actually have kids but with 3 older kids a 34 Sedan might be a pain. I may have to go to a Stagea or Delica Spacegear etc later on.

Chaser looks pretty nice actually

170101.jpg

JZX90 For sale in Rocky http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!c...rch_distance=25

JZX100 eligible under SEVS and this RAW in QLD can comply http://raws.dotars.gov.au/rawswebpublic/RA...cipant_id=10323

Delica Spacegear is actually a good suggestion, or any People mover.

It's for the family and they have heaps of space, high wheel clearance for the offroad stuff, turbo diesel is good and good equipment level.

How about the Oydessy?

No matter how good the engine is, or bodykit you can throw on a Stagea I still dislike the Stagea styling. The M35 is a different story.

My two bobs worth?

TJ2 Magna Sports wagon!

Truly impressive for the value and ease of servicing. Nothin worse than havin the Missus screamin in your ear 'cause the bloody car's waitin for parts out of Japan!

And I would have the auto "tipronic", quite good and suits the car better. A really sweet engine too cosidering what it's in.

Believe it or not I actually had one until recently, and it was capable of rounding up and passing the following cars at Darlington Park raceway. Esprit Turbo, SV8 VY Dunnydoore, AU XR8 Ute, and a few other "sporties". A few 33's too! Was around 3 seconds slower than an STi Subaru MY02 on the full open circuit.

Never had an issue in 80,000k's. Still hit the 215klm/h limiter with ease!

And they fit 9" wide Skyline wheels!

Fit a set of Bendix Ultimate pads all round and enjoy!

I'm 30 zymotic, but yes trying to find these cars when I live in Central Qld is a bit of a bitch even organizing a test drive.

I work about 60 hours aweek and my wife works a fair bit too.

A Stagea for 30k? Where do I sign up?

There's about 15 or so at Brisbane Street Machines yard. Last weeks trading post saw one of theirs for 18 grand. Cheap car!

They've got a real late one too with the R34 NEO update and rear drive. I DO like that!

Waiting for parts and stuff like that is fine by the wife. The R33 we have is hers, I drive the SP20 and she drives the R33 so I want somthing that can keep up with my wifes car, looks good I want it to be turbo.

Stagea is looking good, all the ones that I have seen are 97 models, what are the newest models you can import?