SAU Community

Family car what would you get and why?

Last I heard they were still $40k D:

I wouldnt mind one of those pimp VIP vans that were reviewed a few weeks ago in Autospeed. Looks like the Batmobile on 'roids but much much slower :rofl:

Only about $7k uncomplied

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothin worse than havin the Missus screamin in your ear 'cause the bloody car's waitin for parts out of Japan!

As we can all see the difference between the 30 yo with the kids and the youngins.

I'd quite happily drive a Prius if they didn't cost so much, or a Estima Hybrid if they were offered here. I would have bought one, if I was still living in Japan. Even the 2.4L petrol ain't bad, there is a turbo kit available for them. But a little on the pricey side.

http://www.mzspeed.co.jp/zeus2002_2/ENG_01.html

Accord Wagons are always popular if your keeping with the J-scene.

The only thing my wife would be complaining about is if I bought a van she hates them.

As far as she is concerned it has to be sporty, jap, turbo, sedan or wagon and fit the kids in it.

Evo_Lee: the JZX100 I'm assuming that you have to get the Tourer V version? Is that the only one with turbo @ 206kw?

Interesting same power as GTT, 30kgs heavier but 44nm more torque - could be a close race there. Wonder how handling compares...

Sorry craz0 end of hijack just nice to find out about other sporty jap sedans.

Yeah, thats the car, its pretty tidy, and Pearl white which is a bit hard to find in a Stag.

Screamin for a set of feet though!

ok i may get smacked by admin but I've heard not so good things about that yard...

pimpin interior though black leather?, woodgrain.... nice

Hi mate - no question go the Stagea! Check my gallery (or my avatar) for some pics of mine... but yeah go for a 1998 onwards Series 2 (in my opinion) with the Neo6 (factory 205 kW) and tiptronic auto. Picked mine up for around $28,000 with 45,000km and service history. These 1998+ series 2 also come in a manual option too! But finding one may take a few months and cost about $5000 more (low $30g). I've got kids, and first thing I did was throw in the Alpine DVD / roofmount screen / IR headphone set :rofl: Works a treat! Then came the HKS cat back, panel filter and boost + .... so nice to drive :P More mods to come of course - and maybe a kit to get it looking like this...

16143Yellow11.jpg

And go the 4WD not the RWD (that brisbane street machines have).

How tall are you? I am 6'5", and therefore need the seat all the way back - which leaves about 5" clearance which is OK for skinney legs in the back - but if you are around 6' or under then heaps of room in rear.

Anyway - just do it - come join the growing Stagea clut lol! Check out the Stagea forum on this site for more info ;)

Good luck with your shopping!

Evo_Lee: the JZX100 I'm assuming that you have to get the Tourer V version? Is that the only one with turbo @ 206kw?

Interesting same power as GTT, 30kgs heavier but 44nm more torque - could be a close race there. Wonder how handling compares...

Sorry craz0 end of hijack just nice to find out about other sporty jap sedans.

Correct only the Tourer V has the 1JZGTE. The Tourer V TRD Sports is even nicer, well more sportier package. Becareful not to get it mixed up with the Tourer S and Tourer S TRD Sports, they are just 1JZGE only. The good thing about the JZX100 is they made the same power in both 5MT and 4AT transmission, 280ps/38.5kgm and back in 96/09. While the Skylines saw 2 revisions in 96/01 and 97/02 still only had 250ps/30kgm (5MT) and 245ps/28kgm (4AT).

Then came the R34 GTt and GT-X turbo sedan with the Neo RB25DET in 98/05 and while power was up she still lacked some torque 280ps/35kgm (5MT) and 280ps/34kgm (4AT). A revsion in 00/08 only saw improvements made to the manual with 280ps/37kgm = what the JZX90 was making back in 92/10.

Course what's a few Newton-metres, if your thinking of doing some mods. But I know what I would be buying.

How about the Legnum VR4, there is one selling on his board and I know a mate who is selling his as well. Released in 1996 the V6TT 6A13...4AT made 260ps/35kgm and the 5MT made 280ps/37kgm. In 1998 the 4AT model joined the manual with the same power/torque. Don't forget the EC5 Legnum VR4 dominated the performance wagon era in Japan with the Subaru Legacy, adding to the Legnum's popularity wining Japan Car of the Year in 1996-1997 in the first year she was introduced.

I only know so much about the Legnums because I was going to buy one so I could fit my ski gear. My mate ended up buying one so I bought the Evo, still can fit my snowboard :rofl:. The 5AT INVECS-II is so smooth and changes gears quicker than you could in the manual. At the time no tiptronic shift was faster, only the 2nd gen M3 SMG shifts quicker than the INVECS-II.

Jzx90 Mark2? one in the trading post for $19k. 5 speed and twin turbo. Stock I'd say there pretty slow.. With a few bolt on's you can have some fun. Mate has one with around the 230rwkw.. Very interesting in the wet to say the least.

3 kids in the back of a 4door skyline or a Stega is a bit of a squeze.

I have a sedan and its brilliant for 2 kids or even 2 adults (not too tall) but stick 3 kids side by side for a trip of 20min or more and youll be ready to kill them when you get to your destination. :rofl: (well some times - especially if they are a bit grouchy)

The only way to take 3 kids in a sedan is to have one in the front seat, one in the back seat and one in the boot. :P