SAU Community

GTR and Gtst turbos

• 1 month later...

Well a GTR has two smaller turbos, GTST one larger turbo, if you bolted a single GTR turbo to a GTST (which you can NOT do without an adaptor plate) you'd be getting HALF the "puff" of a GTR so you'd end up with LESS power (esp. on a RB25).

You *COULD* twin-turbo a RB20 or RB25 GTST but it's not as simple as bolting the GTR exhaust manifold to the engine, and then there's all the other plumbing complexities, making it hardly a worthwhile venture.

If you're after a cheap and simple RB20 upgrade then bolt a 2nd hand RB25 turbo on.

I believe that it is just a straight swap, no problems

Yeap you just unbolt all the stuff and bolt the RB25 turbo on in its place.

Just need to make sure all the oil and water fittings are secure and replace the gaskets (or goop em up) if necessary.

They're not as good as a 2510 or 2530 bolted on there but a hell of a lot cheaper.

So, I would be better off twin-turbo-ing my RB25 with GTS-t turbo's.. interesting.

I wonder how the stock ECU would handle it...

Watch this space people :P

Already have 1 turbo, AFM and Pod, FMIC and full exhaust.

The only big cost is fabricating the new manifold, inlet pipes, and dump pipes that go to my Cat. The ECU dosent control the Turbos, they are just pressure pumps.

Stuff like Injectors can be 2nd hand GT-R. I'll want a new fuel pump and a piggyback chip (fuel only) the hardest part I imagine will be making 2 AFM's read as 1 to the standard ECU as I doubt that it will able to manage 2 seperate sensors like a GT-R ECU would.

Dont see why it couldnt be done for about $5k all up, cheaper than a GT-R engine swap.

(I already have forged pistons and a rebuilt/balanced bottom end :cheers:

I wonder if Nissan marketing made the call to make the GT-R and GTS-t intakes, throttlebodies, exhaust manifolds, heads/blocks, etc non-interchangeable. Probably to stop stuff like this happening.

Already have 1 turbo, AFM and Pod, FMIC and full exhaust.

The only big cost is fabricating the new manifold, inlet pipes, and dump pipes that go to my Cat. The ECU dosent control the Turbos, they are just pressure pumps.

Stuff like Injectors can be 2nd hand GT-R. I'll want a new fuel pump and a piggyback chip (fuel only) the hardest part I imagine will be making 2 AFM's read as 1 to the standard ECU as I doubt that it will able to manage 2 seperate sensors like a GT-R ECU would.

Dont see why it couldnt be done for about $5k all up, cheaper than a GT-R engine swap.

(I already have forged pistons and a rebuilt/balanced bottom end :D

I wonder if Nissan marketing made the call to make the GT-R and GTS-t intakes, throttlebodies, exhaust manifolds, heads/blocks, etc non-interchangeable. Probably to stop stuff like this happening.

id be the same, cept i have a Microtech ECU, so i dont need the AFM's, or if i did want them, i can use 2 fine :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread has me very interested... How much could I pick up a 2nd hand RB25 turbo for? Will it be laggier? how much more power, or will it require a bit of tuning?..

2 afms, 2 air filters, 2 exhaust manifolds, custom as piping, custom exhaust manifold with 2 T3 flanges?, 2 dump pipes, computer, injectors, fuel pump, fmic, headaches and wishing you just got a bigger single turbo

1 AFM

1 filter

GTR manifolds, modified to fit

GTR dumps

GTR front pipes, bolt straight to cat, modified for single O2 sensor

Custom single intake piping

As with any substantial upgrade a decent computer and engine support systems.

The downside to GTR turbos is the ceramic turbine which can let go pretty easy, and the front one appears to have done so causing damage to the front 3 cylinders. Unexpected and impossible to predict. Time to RB26.