SAU Community

Hi to all,

I'm need here, stumbled here when i was searching the net for reviews of the R32 GTS... couldn't find any though. :rofl:

I'm driving a AE92 Seca Corolla at the moment, and i'm thinking of upgrading to a 4 door 32 GTS. Mainly because i'm still a young driver, and reasoning with basic logic, turbo = more air in = more power if more fuel in as well = not a very good fuel econ figure.

I really want a review on the 32 4 door GTS... i really like the look of the 32, and the 4 door because of its practicality... but what are the real world economy figures for the RB20DE hauling a heavy (compared to corolla :cheers:) body? Is it underpowered? Anything R32 GTS owners wanna share?

Thanks heaps for all your replies.

Cheers,

Jon

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2278/article.html

You need to pay to get a membership. I bought access to all the back issues (304 issues) for $80. I reckon it was worth it, but it depends how much time you would spend reading an online magazine. I think you can buy just the one issue for like $4 if thats the only article you want to read...

So long as it's the DE not the E then i think you'll enjoy it.

However, 4 doors are already harder to find than coupes, and most R32's are turbos so you're narrowing your options yet again.

Also have you contacted any insurance companies and found out what the price difference between cover for NA and Turbo? In my experience there's not a whole lot, the fact it's a Grey import works against the most, Turbo usually only adds a few hundred to Comprehensive cover and almost nothing to 3rd Party Fire/Theft with little higher excess too.

i'm not really concerned about the insurance point of view, because as u said, its a grey import, therefore the cost is already there; turbo or not it doens't really matter.

I'm concerned about the fuel ecnonomy aspect though, with the turbo... not sure how it would affect fuel economy. And also the weight of the R32 4 door might be an issue too.

if you are buying one, you better do it quick before the 15 year free for all ends, as a 4 door N/A will not qualify as a SEVS vehicle because it dosen't meet power to weight ratio requirements.

As for a GTS, my daily driver is one, great economy, better performance than almost all the other alternatives that are in the same category. RWD, handles well, reliable, can't complain... insurance is only $1200 p/a for full comprehensive as well over 12 monthly payments. Mine's a coupe though, but the 4 doors aren't that far behind.

A GTSt is not going to use much more fuel than a GTS, if any.

Around town I get between 10.3L/100km and 11.7L/100km in my FJ20ET DR30, it just comes down to how you drive it, I could easily push it up to 18L/100km or something equally silly if I drove like a wanker

If i was you i'd just be buying the GTS-T 4 door instead of the GTS 4 door, as they are pretty much the same in fuel economy, it all depends on how hard you drive it, and if you decide later on you want more power, which lets face it, we all do its much easier with the GTS-t

David

whats the widest tire width that could fit on the R32 GTS?

i think the GTS only has 4 studs ... so what would be the optimum size for performance?

as far as i know, for my corolla 1.6; 15" is the best on the track, due to its lower inertia and is wide enough to do the job.

also, is engine transplant a usual scene in the skyline world? In the corolla world, we normally get supercharge frontcuts and transplant the bugger over. Cost around 4K all up. i'm tihnking maybe if i outgrow the GTS... maybe plonk in a RB25DE?

I know first hand a RB26DETT bolts straight up to a RB20DET gearbox, the RB25DET would too, and i would assume it'd do the same with a DE. If you want to go for torqe you can always twin-cam a RB30 with turbos.

If you get the RB20DET out of the box you can push respectable power out of that too, but you're always going to be down on torque compared to other RBs. The other advantage of a DET is if you get a Type-M you've already got some awesome brakes with no need to upgrade unless you're doing a fair bit of track work.

The previous question of rims, I know 9.5" fit on the rears and 8.5" on the front, but you'd struggle to get any more on stock guards, esp. the front.

ic...

thanks for all the info guys.

so now i assume that if i actually get a GTS 4 door, i got a few things against me:

- insurance, since its a grey import, might as well get it turbo

- 4 stud wheels instead of 5

- brakes can still be upgraded

and the pros:

- cheaper

- economical even though u drive like a wanker

- if it gets slow, might as well mod it with the "works" ie 2.5L/ 3.0L RB stick some hairdryers, put some nice brakes... and its ready to roll...

....rb20det is pretty dam economical ...i get 11 to 12L per 100km city driving which i think is really good ....and 8 per 100km highway driving

u aint going to get much better than unless u get a smaller laser or corrolla.

my last car with a 2.4 L motor got min 14 in the city and min 10 on the freeway....it was an NA car