SAU Community

UAS RB20/25 Intake Plenum.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may or may not contribute to the 'stock ecu' argument, but my old R33 GTS-t made 204rwkW with:

*Stock '95 ECU

*Stock turbo 14psi

*Turbo back exhaust

*FMIC

*Greddy intake manifold & Q45 throttle

*Adj exh cam gear

:D

$1500 for a top bolt on?....that is a rip if you ask me (That is $1,150 US currancy). That is not even the whole plenium, you are just talking about a half bolt on that bolts staight onto the stock runners. You can get the greddy one for $777 AUD that flows more then yours, looks better and is made by a quality top of the line company. I am getting a custom one made from a guy out here for $323 AUD ($250 US currancy). It is a bolt on just like yours, but almost garentee that it flows just as well. I almost bet that you guys are getting these made for less then $300 (US currancy) and then are trying to sell them for $1,150!. Would never support a company like that.....Have fun selling those 47+ manifolds... I won't be one of them.

Here are some pictures of the $323AUD plenium that I am getting:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerofile/13036/rb240c.jpg

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerofile/13034/rb240.jpg

it might help if the link to your pics work dude... and yes no doubt they will be making a killing off these plenums.. but the fact is that there is no bolt on option for the rb20's as it stands... were as rb25's... you never know... *shrugs*

$1500 for a top bolt on?....that is a rip if you ask me (That is $1,150 US currancy). That is not even the whole plenium, you are just talking about a half bolt on that bolts staight onto the stock runners. You can get the greddy one for $777 AUD that flows more then yours, looks better and is made by a quality top of the line company. I am getting a custom one made from a guy out here for $323 AUD ($250 US currancy). It is a bolt on just like yours, but almost garentee that it flows just as well. I almost bet that you guys are getting these made for less then $300 (US currancy) and then are trying to sell them for $1,150!. Would never support a company like that.....Have fun selling those 47+ manifolds... I won't be one of them.

Tough crowd !

Ignorance like this amazes me. Almost guarantee is a bit different to putting time and money into R&D which must be recovered in small manufacture runs, allowing the possible comsumers to rip apart your product approach and early performance measures and idiots with bugger all technical competency to make their own judgements.

First, don't insult us by posting links to whatever other forum you lurk on that then don't work. Learn to post the pics using the attachment tool in the advanced post page. This way you look less of a tool. I myself am well experienced in this field.

Second, if the plenum (not plenium) is custom made then there has been no research and development, no repeatability, and no credibility. I'll leave the rest of your spelling skills to the true Nazis.

Third, my point is now made about the product "looking good" and the ricers who will buy it. John, make sure it comes with a big colorful badge and a sticker for the car.

Finally, John is a member of the SAU crowd who is active amongst the track crew and is well liked and respected. He is accepting risk and exposing himself to unnecessary criticism to offer and discuss with us products that seem to be in demand. He is allowed, in fact encouraged, to make money from his ventures as places like UAS maintain a limited resource to the import modification crowd in Australia. You have been getting some valuable info from this forum for free recently, and some of that has possibly originated from the likes of John at some stage. Please be a little more considerate when blowing your trumpet and comparing apples with lemons (as most "custom" plenums end up). If you disagree with the pricing structure, keep it to yourself or use PM, or show some diplomacy in the way you present you argument. I also challenge you to reread the thread and discover some of the truths regarding that quality plenum you say flows better and attempt to understand some of what has been discussed.

Rant over.

did you guys even see the pics??

rb240c.jpg

rb240.jpg

hahahaha..

it would have been a better job if he cut and shut the stock RB25 plenum.

it's just a rectangle box on top of the runner.

no tappering..

back in your hole son..

DETurbine the pics are not clear and the test car looks like a roughy. Does not mean the product is not good it may be. Show us dyno readings or better still flow bench tests, and also you obviously don't know who Plasmaman is as in Australia he is regarded as one of the best fabricators and sets up some serious race cars, not a backyarder. They cost way more than you think in machine work alone. They are quality.

Skylinegeoff thanks again for your support and explain there. Options are fine but that is what they should be options not put as attacks.

You obviously dont know anything about your own suppliers if you're STILL referring to his business as Plazmaman.....

Unfortunately, my first impressions of you john havent gone away, and every time I see you or hear your name, you do something to justify what I think.

Hi wazz, this is the RIPS RB20 plenum:

bell%20rb20det%20plenim%20kit%20003.jpg

It's similarly priced to what John is offering (cheaper for RB25/30). I've never seen RIPS make any real performance claims but that might be just so they avoid threads like this.

For me, i'm not that concerned about the performance aspect of either plenum because my interest is because of packaging problems with a tight engine conversion.

First off we are talking about a forced induction application. It does not have to be intensely designed to flow a good amount of air into the motor like you would need with a naturally aspirated application. The turbo pushes heavy amounts of pressure into the plenum, so even a basic design like I posted will work great. People put to much thought into plenums, when even the most plain and simple designs will work just as well. Check out Igor from NGR performance. He has a basic square plenum like the one I posted, but bigger diameter and is making 585hp with his T61 on his RB25. Also I know exactly how much goes into those plenum bolt ons, because I have talked to many metal fabrication shops even locally that will custom make them for less then $500 and can have any bent and rounded design that I ask for. That is also going to be the price as just one. Make a quanity of them (20+) and you will see the price drop substantially.... would be in the $350-400 range. I am also going to bet that the Greddy's flow just as much or even a little more then these, with less then half the cost and look better in my opinion, since they are not using the long stock runners. We are talking about a bolt on for the stock runners, it is not even a whole intake manifold and they are wanting it for that cost. Sorry, but in my opinion no plenum should ever be that much. I get a good laugh when people spend this amount on items that can be done for 1/5 the cost.

$2,300 (US currency) and I will get a setup that will make 550-600hp.

That is including a T61, 38mm external wastegate, 50mm bov, aftermarket fuel rail, piggy back/stand alone, 740cc injectors, FMIC w/ piping, moded stock exhaust manifold, 6puck clutch setup, custom downpipe, and custom intake plenum.

Plain and simple, people waste their money on things that can be made and done for allot cheaper. People love to buy named brands and are pretty much paying for the heritage and name of the product. Not saying that the parts are not quality, because they are, but most just do not realize that it can be done for quite a bit cheaper and be just as good as quality as the others. People with a some what similar setup as I just listed above, but they are just buying named brand products are easily spending around the $5400, while people like me are out there spending more then half what they did and are as equal of a power range. Wouldn't you be ashamed if you spent that much and found out that there are others out there who are making more power then you with less then 1/2 the price as you have in yours?

Say as much negative comments as you would like, doesn't bother me one bit, because once the motor is out of the machine shop, has the turbo setup, all the custom fabricated parts, and other supports on there, we will see how much power it can throw out. I have a feeling that it is not going to be to bad at all. I will post the car, motor, and results up once it is all done and complete.

First off we are talking about a forced induction application. It does not have to be intensely designed to flow a good amount of air into the motor like you would need with a naturally aspirated application. The turbo pushes heavy amounts of pressure into the plenum, so even a basic design like I posted will work great. People put to much thought into plenums, when even the most plain and simple designs will work just as well. Check out Igor from NGR performance. He has a basic square plenum like the one I posted, but bigger diameter and is making 585hp with his T61 on his RB25. Also I know exactly how much goes into those plenum bolt ons, because I have talked to many metal fabrication shops even locally that will custom make them for less then $500 and can have any bent and rounded design that I ask for. That is also going to be the price as just one. Make a quanity of them (20+) and you will see the price drop substantially.... would be in the $350-400 range. I am also going to bet that the Greddy's flow just as much or even a little more then these, with less then half the cost and look better in my opinion, since they are not using the long stock runners. We are talking about a bolt on for the stock runners, it is not even a whole intake manifold and they are wanting it for that cost. Sorry, but in my opinion no plenum should ever be that much. I get a good laugh when people spend this amount on items that can be done for 1/5 the cost.

$2,300 (US currency) and I will get a setup that will make 550-600hp.

That is including a T61, 38mm external wastegate, 50mm bov, aftermarket fuel rail, piggy back/stand alone, 740cc injectors, FMIC w/ piping, moded stock exhaust manifold, 6puck clutch setup, custom downpipe, and custom intake plenum.

Plain and simple, people waste their money on things that can be made and done for allot cheaper. People love to buy named brands and are pretty much paying for the heritage and name of the product. Not saying that the parts are not quality, because they are, but most just do not realize that it can be done for quite a bit cheaper and be just as good as quality as the others.  People with a some what similar setup as I just listed above, but they are just buying named brand products are easily spending around the $5400, while people like me are out there spending more then half what they did and are as equal of a power range. Wouldn't you be ashamed if you spent that much and found out that there are others out there who are making more power then you with less then 1/2 the price as you have in yours?

Say as much negative comments as you would like, doesn't bother me one bit, because once the motor is out of the machine shop, has the turbo setup, all the custom fabricated parts, and other supports on there, we will see how much power it can throw out. I have a feeling that it is not going to be to bad at all. I will post the car, motor, and results up once it is all done and complete.

Hi DETurbine, about 80% of what you have posted is spot on, but there are few things that aren't. Sure it easy to say don't worry about flow and restrictions, just turn up the boost. If that's the case then why are you using a DOHC engine with 4 valves per cylinder? Shoot a single cam pushrod with 2 valves would do the job, just turn the boost up. Why are you running a big exhaust, just turn the boost up. Why are you running a low restriction air filter, just turn the boost up. Why are you running a hi efficiency intercooler, just turn the boost up. I could go on, but I suspect you get the drift.

"Turn the boost up" is old world turbo thinking. Mostly it leads to poor response, the thing that turbos used to be infamous for, put foot down, count to 10 and hang on. Every single bit of restriction that can be removed or lessened means a smaller turbo can be used for the same power output. It means a smaller intercooler can be used. It means smaller pipework. It means less retarded ignition timing. It means pump petrol, not special brews. It means less pressure differential beween cylinders. Lower exhaust gas temperatures. Lengthened engine life. I could go on, but I suspect you get the drift.

This plenum is an example of an attempt to lower restriction, the cheaper alternatives are examples of "just turn the boost up, who cares about restriction". That's why one costs $A1,500 ($US1,150) and the other $A1,000 ($US770).

My 20 cents worth:cheers:

I do get your point, and as I had said they are making a good manifold, but sorry for the price it is totally not worth anyones money. You want me to make a manifold just like theirs that flows just as much if not more. I have the shops out here that can get the perfect airflow for these RB's and I can do it for like I had said $500 or less. Not sure about there, but out her in the states, metal fabrication is every where. Especially here in the midwest where I am located. They have state of the art machines that can make it just as easy and precise as any other place out there and will do it for a reasonable price. The 27hp increase isn't bad, but majority of the aftermarket plenums out there will open up the power just as much. I have seen simple square style plenums on a few 2jz's that increased it to a 20hp gain from a stock form 2jz, it's actually the same design as what I intend to get.

The thing that upsets me and is why I made the negative comment is because I know how much these cost to be produced and probably a pretty good clue of what they put into them.....why they are trying to get so much profit out of them shows how they really operate and treat others. Every business is in it for the money, but most are not that stupid to increase the price another $1,000 (USD) on top of their build cost. I am sure that they are welding these together on their own, so I have a pretty good clue on how they are getting these plates and the top dome cut outs.

not entirely true DETurbine... they are getting another place to make them.. price of materials for them wouldnt exactly be all that cheap no matter wat you think.. even tho they are buying in bulk *sorta* shit is different from the US to australia

the only thing i have against these plenums is i havent seen a BEFORE dyno sheet provided with the after plenum dyno sheet

Warrick