SAU Community

UAS RB20/25 Intake Plenum.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way Benm's car has adjustable exhaust cam gear which we have seen 15rwkw alone with that mod on RB25. It was also more than 9.5psi more like 12 or 13psi to make close to 200rwkw.

We have done the dyno test and as I stated made lots more power than it should have with the mods but only way we will know for sure is to do a back to back changing plenum only. This is the big part of the gain but keep in mind the quality intercooler also would give a bit more power. To stop the beer talk we will also do a flow bench test and we will be doing this over next few weeks and we will put the results on this thread and our website.

Not only compare top end but mid range as well. Not only will it make more power but safer as more even air flow to each runner and cooler. Bonus bit is the bling.

Re the price they may work out less yet as have not finalised the price and no price on our site yet. For those that know me I often tell how much things actually cost even show invoices. I am not a rip off but have over heads and three kids and a race car to feed, he he.

It was also more than 9.5psi more like 12 or 13psi to make close to 200rwkw.
*rubs eyes*

(http://users.on.net/~blakrok/198rwkw-small.jpg)

3000rpm to 5000rpm = hovers around 12psi

5000rpm to 6400rpm = drops to 9.5psi

6400rpm to 7000rpm = steady at 9.5psi

Looks to me like the peak power is at around ~6500rpm @ 9.5psi?

Back on topic...

How long until these plenums are likely to be available in the shop?

Yes boost does drop off and yes 12 psi to 9.5 ish debatable what boost is measured at but yes high in revs the boost is lower as they often do? Do you remember what difference the cam gear was in power? What boost crontrol do you have?

When is the question I am scared to guess but SOON.

Do you remember what difference the cam gear was in power?
It made an extra 10rwkw at peak power (dyno graph here). It's a Greddy gear fitted and tuned (-4) at UAS.
What boost crontrol do you have?
A 3+ yr old TurboXS dual-stage bleed valve (doesn't have the regulator that the new 1's have). Soon to be an AVC-R ;)

i think the only way this will be resovled is someone giving up a test car, trying stock mani, then this one, and maybe even a greddy for good measure

too many ifs buts maybes in here to make a confident choice as we stand....

Nope, never seen one of these, despite many years of looking. I always seem to find a reason, you just have to look hard enough.

;)

Yes and no. I think that with mass produced vehicles that sometimes everything just lines up that much closer to spec, and by luck everything balances just enough better than normally to make the whole thing sing.

Examples for me have been cop cars as my mate was a pursuit car driver for a while. The early XR6's would top out around 215 to 225 km/h, but there was one that did 240. (Yes the cops have a private track to test these things on.) There was that XR6 and a VP Commodore V8 out of about 150 cars that all the cops that drove them knew were freak cars.

All that said perhaps if you pulled their engines apart and weighed and measured (in every way) every part of them you would find the real reason; rather than the "oh it's a freak" answer.

Also... we have been discussing Bens car for a while now and while he seems happy to take the blame as driver error for his performances; 200rwkw and only 14 seconds down the quarter? Doesn't add up.

Excuse me.  You are Sydneykid.  That means no joking.  I'm not joking.  Well, actually I am joking.  You were joking weren't you?  Haha, just joking.  I knew you were joking.

I measured a tree doing 45kph with a Police Radar once, no it wasn't turbo'd. :wassup:

• 5 weeks later...

i have just spent a while looking at this thread.

in all honesty i truly belive that $1500 to get a throttle body located at the front of the engine bay is madness, expecialy when you still have the stock bottom half of the factory intake runners bolted to the engine.

as for putting shit on the greddy intake......well that just takes the cake for me!!

fancy anyone saying that a company like trust/greddy cant make an intake as good as one slapped together in australia wich still uses the stock bottom half and a shiney peice af aluminiam on top, what a rip off!!

i think we all should put our heads together and help out greddy because they obviously dont know what there doing??? they proberly dont even test there products??? maybee there got no idea whatsoever??? mmm i wonder if they even heard of the word nissan???

dead set!!

i have just spent a while looking at this thread.

in all honesty i truly belive that $1500 to get a throttle body located at the front of the engine bay is madness, expecialy when you still have the stock bottom half of the factory intake runners bolted to the engine.

as for putting shit on the greddy intake......well that just takes the cake for me!!

fancy anyone saying that a company like trust/greddy cant make an intake as good as one slapped together in australia wich still uses the stock bottom half and a shiney peice af aluminiam on top, what a rip off!!

i think we all should put our heads together and help out greddy because they obviously dont know what there doing??? they proberly dont even test there products???  maybee there got no idea whatsoever??? mmm i wonder if they even heard of the word nissan???

dead set!!

Talk about calling kettle black, strong opinions on tested and proven opinions. If you believe the hype that all Jap products are the best then you need to have a closer look as someare not. Yes from our dyno tests and other workshops I have spoken to the Greddy Plenum loses power which I was suprised at first. The runners are too short so bottom end will be lost and the runners are possibly too big and inside very rough disturbing air flow. There is nothing wrong with factory runners so no need to change them. Yes we have flow bench tested the stock plenum and there is a huge difference in air flow which is not good for power but more so dangerous when winding the boost up as the middle runners get much more air than the outside ones. Also did you forget the dyno result. Plazmaman does not slap things together, you obviously don't know what you are talking about and not heard of him or seen his work. You also mentioned getting the throttle bolted on the front well Greddy does this also so? If we had a rough cast plenum and called it UAS and Greddy came out with a nicely made one like ours I am sure you would be arguing the opposite. We do not have a Greddy Plenum to test but if anyone has one they want to lend us then bring it on. We are still waiting for James from Abrasive Flow Engineering to make a jig to flow bench test the Plazmaman one.

Why has this subject been going so long? why can we see some before and after results.

If i had a GTsT i would simply give it to UAS and get them to install the new plenum, and if it got the results i would buy it!