SAU Community

skyline on p plates?

tmb86

hey guys,

i was looking at buying a Skyline, ECR33 GTSt (93), then i thought 'hmm thats probably a pretty powerful car', factory specs seem hard to find.

But given its a 6cyl 2.5ltr Turbo, i suppose that makes it like 180kw....

Im still on my p plates, but does anyone know for sure if it is legal or not for someone such as my good self to drive it?

Thanks

04 wrx unless ur over the age of 24 i think not lol.

p-plates on 33 is fine (its not fine its illegal, but u hardly ever get ****ed for it), been pulled heaps of times no fines or anything yet.

also use the search button 100's of threads on power to weight and p plate legal issues

the specs vary from where you read them, can someone get the official ones eg weight and power? i was looking at some for a r32gtst and a r32gtst mspec... the 2 door versions are 4kg's too light (do the laws take into account the weight of the driver??)

I am still on p's and I have been pulled over and told by the copper that I was not meant to be driving a Skyline RB25DET model. He explained that the "black book" of forbidden P plater cars is based on the power to weight ratio and that the skyline Rb25 is among the WRX's and also VL turbo's are fine to drive but once any modification is done to them they are considered too powerful for a P plate.

He was a fairly good bloke of a cop, cos then I asked 'what do you suggest I do? B'cos i'm obviously not going to sell my car when I'll be off P's in a year' an he told me 'well no I wouldn't expect you to sell it and I wouldn't really worry about it either, half the guys in blue uniforms don't know the difference whether they are legal or not'.

So there you go...

Ok first of all where do u live. If it's in the eastern suburbs around knox, ringwood maroondah area u WONT get away with it. Trust me this is comin from experience. The police here know what they are lookin for, u just wont last very long. Too many TMU cars that just patrol the main roads here, u cant get away

But over the other side of melbourne and northside they are usually pretty cool unless u do something wrong.

04 wrx unless ur over the age of 24 i think not lol.

Going by the current specs, the car is 168kW and weighs 1395kg (manual, i suppose auto is heavier), you do the maths.

also use the search button 100's of threads on power to weight and p plate legal issues

p

Thanks, for some reason the search button refused to show up in FireFox :|

Ok first of all where do u live. If it's in the eastern suburbs around knox, ringwood maroondah area u WONT get away with it.

Box Hill :P Its rice city here (Im aussie btw), nearly every second car is a supra or a skyline :)

Have you thought about insurance? Last time I checked full comp is about $3500.

Thats about what i got quoted through Just Car Insurance, or something similar, but atm im paying $3000 with RACV anyway, and all im driving is a Holden Vectra (98 model, sport body kit, 18" rims :) sexy car).

What are the concequences of being 'caught' or what ever? Like what do they do?

bout 75% of my driving is done in the northern / western suburbs, with a bit of city travel, but the other 25% would be around eastern suburbs, like box hill, ringwood, knox etc.

Going by the current specs, the car is 168kW and weighs 1395kg (manual, i suppose auto is heavier), you do the maths.

no maths required, powetr to weight is legal however its on the vic roads list of powerful cars

That list is pretty unclear IMO, ive seen it, but it doesnt make sense. If it doesnt exceed the 125kw p/tonne, how can they stop you from driving it? They just make up their own rules or something.

Blah, anyway, what happens if you do get busted with a high powered vehicle?

skyline r33 turbo is 127kw to to the tone which puts it 2 killowats over the power to weight ratio for a P Plater in victoria...

I have seen hundreds of p platers in R33 turbos driving around, me being one of them, the only way you will get dicked is if u are doing sumfin stupid, your car is riced up with shit on it that makes you stand out from the croud or if you are being followed by a TOG...

My advice is to go for it buddy

TOG= Traffic operations Group (Ithink)

but more clear would be TMU- Traffit Management unit, usually drives XR8 Or SS marked highway patrol cars

when you get busted , they will give you a fine for driving a high powered vehicle. $156 or something like that and sometimes if the coppa is a real c*nt he will give you a cout summons, and if your car is modded, you will most likely will cop a nice yellow window sticker(defect)....

good luck in your quest for a skyline dude

yes well this is definately a done to death subject... if u still have any questions im sure u will be able to answer them using the search function.