SAU Community

R32 RB25DET conversion

J.B.E

Hi, has anyone personnally installed a RB25DET motor into an R32 RB20DET skyline before. If you have can you plz tell me if i'm likely to run into any problems with anything eg: fitment wiring

My car is a R32GTS-t I have a full RB25DET motor, wiring loom, computer, turbo, airflow meter and gearbox although turbo is being trashed as i have a bigger unit along with a few other bits and pieces that will all be sorted once I have the motor installed.

Any help would be cool thanks.

The biggest drama is the wiring.

With my conversion, because the R33 has the battery in the boot (and the R32 has it in the engine bay) the two looms had to be wired into each other - not an easy job.

Everything else in the conversion went really well, the engine dropped straight in and bolted up to my R32 gearbox.

I've got a R34 GTt side mount intercooler fitted, which was a struggle to fit in the standard location, but (because you are changing turbo's) I imagine you will be fitting a front mount anyway.

It's not particularly difficult if using an rb20 gearbox as it saves with custom tail shafts.

The wiring is the hard part as Ryno has stated though i didn't have the same problem as him.

To avoid it you can keep the RB20 body loom (for lack of a better term) and strip the knock sensor and air regulator out of the equivalent r33 section of loom and use that bit only. Also, under dash plugs on the r33 engine loom need to be changed to match the r32 under dash plugs and the big rectangular plug up near the airflow meter needs to be swapped to the r32 plug. All this requires a heap of tracing but isn't particularly difficult if you take your time.

You also need to wire in a couple of r32 plugs into the r33 loom for the fuel pump speed control dropping resistor and the climate control temp sensor that sits on top of the heater hoses if you have a late model r32.

I also wired in a relay to activate the secondary aac valve when the air con kicks in.

Thats the basics of it. Doing it all takes a bit longer.

Good luck.

Cool thanks for the help guys. I may now have the wiring sorted (hopefully) as a guy from a performance shop in NZ is doing the same conversion now and has made some sort of plugin loom conversion and may sell me 1 if all goes well with his new little invention.

I'm goin to be using the RB25DET gearbox as I've got it already and it's stonger.