SAU Community

Automatics

Gary2

Auto Info

Just to let you know that the Stags came out with two types of boxes, both are RC40 but there is an A and a B box. The A box is the most common being available in a lot of Aussie Nissans so parts are readilly available but the B box is only from Japan so some parts will have to come from there ie.. Electric Solenoids and oil filter.

The valve body is also different as I purchased one from M V Autos that fits the A but not my B although we didn't try to match it up visually some valves are different.

The solenoids seem to be a problem when they get hot and your car will end up having only one forward gear 3rd, when cold the solenoids can check out as OK. Hopefully this problem seems to only afflict low mileage R34/Stagea with Neo and Tiptronic.

Driving around in 3rd is a bitch but still capable in rolling starts :P

Gary

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gawd Gary - sorry to hear that.... third gear start lol - thats like having an UltraSnow button :rofl:

... but are you saying the Series 2 tiptronic auto box is always type B, or could be either A or B... and how the hell do I tell before I go playing around with it??

Cheers

The solenoids seem to be a problem when they get hot and your car will end up having only one forward gear 3rd, when cold the solenoids can check out as OK. Hopefully this problem seems to only afflict low mileage R34/Stagea with Neo and Tiptronic.

Driving around in 3rd is a bitch but still capable in rolling starts  

Also is a problem with the R34 2WD variant...I was stuck in 3rd for 2 months!!!!!!

TWO MONTHS NOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will ring up tomorrow.

Oil Cooler no problem, when I fit my fmic I will have a spare cooler allready mounted, all it will need is some fittings welded on for the oil lines. (I hope it can hold the pressure but it will be checked out beforehand)

Gary

OK so now Im confused - are the solenoids only a problem if you do the valve body upgrade - or is this a problem that just happenned and has nothing to do with messing with the valve body... feeling dumb so please walk me through this thread so far Gary!? :rofl:

Not connected with the shift kit.

I had a hiccup with the trans the day before and on the morning of getting the kit fitted it decided to s''t itself before they had a chance to put it in the w/shop.

The MV Autos kit sounds good but it is for the A box not the B box so reluctantly I had to return it.

My Auto tech did put welsh plugs in the 2 central holes as per shift mod but i'm still stuck in 3rd untill Nissan Australia pull their finger out and get the parts to me so I don't know how much of a differance that will make but the auto mech reckons it will firm the shifts up a bit.

Maybe I should order 2 sets of solenoids just in case, for the future.

I am going to use my original intercooler as the new oilcooler, so has anyone else tried this?

Gary

It's fixed

Got it done yesterday and with the welsh plug mod the shifts are better with the flaring in the shifts nearly gone alltogeather so the changes are quicker but not to brutal. Highly reccomend this for the later box's as the shift kits don't fit, cooler coming soon.

Gary

NO

Valve body not done, just the 2 welsh plugs in the 2 center holes as per the shift kit.

The auto shop said that doing the valve body would quicken/tighten the shifts up a bit more but I am happy the way it is now and will spend the money on some good oil when I do my cooler.

Gary

Hmm, I know I am probably going to rustle a few feathers here but, oh well.

A skyline mechanic friend of mine does not rate the RE401 autos at all. And that's putting it nicely.

What's is the genreal consensus out there? It seems that Gary is slowly going grey (or even balding) with his auto troubles.

Is the RE401 the Achilles heal of the mighty stagea, and what are the must do mods to improve the reliability & performance of the auto? And most improtantly, is there a serious weakness in a particular series (ie. the Neo)

With that many auto stageas out there I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering.

PS. I want to buy a stagea, I reckon they are the perfect package!!

The problem I encounted sounds to be common in the B autos but I don't know what the difference between the A and B except what I stated earlier.

The worst problem for Auto's is heat so oil cooler is a must.

I had a problem but I wouldn't swap this box for a manual.

Gary

Sorry

No ignorance on your part because if you don't know you just ask, to me that is not ignorance.

You need an oil cooler to cool the oil in your Auto, but there are specific coolers just for autos that don't need to be high pressure like an engine oil cooler as they don't usually have to cope with the same type of pressure.

My plan is to modify my standard intercooler to an auto oil cooler when I mount my front mount intercooler as it is nice and large and allready mounted somewhere.

I am allso fitting an engine oil cooler under the R/H/F guard, Not for racing but because of the temp we get here and too hot oil is not good.

SK fitted the largest heavy duty one he could buy as he uses his car for towing a race car which would cause his auto oil to get very hot and his standard one just wouldn't cope.

For an unmodified car that dosen't get any abuse, an upgraded oil cooler is a good idea, but for something that gets worked a bit it is a must. After a good drive when you stop put your hand on or around your shift lever you can feel the heat radiating through.

Hope this helps or maybe my ramblings are more confusing.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Ben and Gary,

The model code on my build plate actually reads "RE4R01A" followed by the "RC40". I can't read Japanese, but I assume this is the transmission type because it is close to the RE40 that you identify. If this is correct, then mine is obviously an 'A' type box.

Cheers ..... Craig

Craige that is an A box and I have just got the trannie upgrade (valvebody) and it has made a big difference in my book as the shifts are alot tighter and don't hang (lag) when changing. Feels like a different car. Well worth it.

Cheers ICE