SAU Community

z32 afm and SAFC 2

sky

Yep it will work, but if you have enough power to really need a Z32 afm I wouldn't be tuning my car with an SAFC.  Too many compromises:cheers:

Just bought a GT2540 but thinking that the stock AFM will not support the turbo. Besides i have a mines ECU currently making good power with stock turbo. Didnt want to go for the power fc as yet as i have got SAFC 2 from my friend. any recommendation?thanks.. :)

Just bought a GT2540 but thinking that the stock AFM will not support the turbo. Besides i have a mines ECU currently making good power with stock turbo. Didnt want to go for the power fc as yet as i have got SAFC 2 from my friend. any recommendation?thanks..  :)

Recommendation #1= Sell Mines ECU and SAFC and buy Power FC, Z32 AFM, fuel pump and injectors. Why = because the 2540 will exceed the standard fuel supply capability. Plus exceeed the SAFC's ability to balance the A/F ratios and the ignition timing.

Recommendation #2 = Buy a Nismo adg fuel pressure regulator, and a GTR fuel pump and use the Mines ECU and the SAFC to get a pretty close tune. Depending on the quality of the tune, you may not be able to use the full capability of the 2540 ie run lower boost. It's a compromise, but cheap.

Hope that is of some help:cheers:

Recommendation #1= Sell Mines ECU and SAFC and buy Power FC, Z32 AFM, fuel pump and injectors.  Why = because the 2540 will exceed the standard fuel supply capability.  Plus exceeed the SAFC's ability to balance the A/F ratios and the ignition timing.

Recommendation #2 = Buy a Nismo adg fuel pressure regulator, and a GTR fuel pump and use the Mines ECU and the SAFC to get a pretty close tune.  Depending on the quality of the tune, you may not be able to use the full capability of the 2540 ie run lower boost.  It's a compromise, but cheap.

Hope that is of some help:cheers:

Thanks SK! Seems like option 2 would be be the way to go for now. I have already got the nismo adj reg, nismo fuel pump, 3" exh, FMIC, cam gear, filter etc. i will give this a go and see how it go before going with the power FC. Can a stock r33 AFM still be in use if only boosting it to say 1-1.1bar? thanks... :(

Can a stock r33 AFM still be in use if only boosting it to say 1-1.1bar?  thanks...  :P

Boost is irrelevant, it is excessive airflow that can not be metered by the AFM that causes problems. You might get to 33 lbs of airflow per minute (~215 rwkw) before it becomes an issue. But it really depends on how much the tuning is compromised by the lack of ignition timing adjustability. :cheers:

looks like i have to get z32 afm! :P .. will use it with SAFC and mines ecu like SydneyKid was suggesting... not ideal but cheap option for now!!

Robo, did you tune your with stock ecu and SAFC 2? what did you get from it? :cheers:

With the standard turbo it is ok, but as soon as we put the 2530 on and started putting some boost into it, the standard ECU didnt respond well. As it says, depends how good your ECU is going to cope with it. But after updating to the power FC we picked up like 50rwkw in the midrange running the same boost and boy you can feel it.

With the standard turbo it is ok, but as soon as we put the 2530 on and started putting some boost into it, the standard ECU didnt respond well.  As it says, depends how good your ECU is going to cope with it.   But after updating to the power FC we picked up like 50rwkw in the midrange running the same boost and boy you can feel it.

hmmm... sounds tasty! :D .. however, the mines ecu is more aggressive then the stock ecu. therefore i will use it with the safc and z32 afm for time being untill i robbed the next bank! :flamed: thanks guys!!

hehe I'll have to add to this. :D

My understanding is the SAFC when setup as Z32 in and RB out, does just that.

Z32 in, tells the SAFC that it is receiving a Z32 AFM calibrated airflow to voltage signal, RB out, tells the SAFC to adjust the voltage to match that of the RB AFM's airflow to voltage signal. This way the ECU thinks it is running the stock AFM. Theoretically the AFR's should stay exactly the same.

The reason for this is exactly what it states in the manual. For SR's running their power robbing ~40-45mm afm.

Placing a restrictor in front of the turbo reduces its efficiency.

The idea is to run the larger RB/Z32 80mm AFM to reduce the restriction and increase the turbos efficiency.

BUT to do this we need to be able to manipulate the voltage so the ECU sees the voltage/airflow as if it were still running the stock AFM.

This is why it makes sweet **** all difference to the RB's when running a Z32 with Z32 in RB out.

Select Z32 in & Z32 out and it will or should leave the signal untouched.

A few issues I can see with this is that for a given airflow the ecu will be thinking that it is receiving less airflow/load than it really is.

This may not be a problem with fuel as we can richen it up via the SAFC, the problem I can see occuring is the ignition load points.

In the ignition map, less load = more ignition timing.

This is not good for an RB25DET running lots of boost with its 9:1 comp ratio.

In practice it may not really be an issue at WOT but 'MAY' be an issue at part throttle while making decent boost or climbing a big arsed long hill in a low gear.

Unsure. No one has really posted their findings in depth.

Some times I think a majority of the tuners don't really know what is going on, well either that or they just don't care to communicate it to the customer. ;)

SK, it appears logical. or am I barking up the wrong tree?