SAU Community

How do i test coil packs if they work 100% fine?

I wrote this down a little while ago, have a read but maybe let some of the other more knowledgable forum users look over it and pick out anything I've missed, which is entirely possible.

DISCLAIMER: While i have performed this myself and believe the below to be correct i am NOT a mechanic, I'm a backyard tinkerer, you do it all at your own risk. Just take it slowly and be methodical, don't rush anything, but if you're not confident in your abilities resign yourself to paying a mechanic to do it for you.

1. Disconnect power to the injectors (pretty sure they're grouped in to 3's and there's 2 plugs power them just trace the wires back and unplug).

2. Pull the coil packs off the spark plugs, leave the coils on those 2 rails in groups of 3, just undo the rails and lift.

3. Check your spark plugs now if you haven't already.

If there's nothing obviously wrong with the plugs put them back in and move on.

4. Pull all the rubber boots off the 6 coil packs, be careful the spings don't fall out the end, it CAN happen.  

5. IMPORTANT! Use something to mark the position of Crank Angle Sensor (a blob of whiteout overlapping the CAS and timing cover works).

6. Undo the 3 bolts and pull the CAS off.

7. Rest the coil packs so they're tips are a short distance from, but NOT touching, the head or anywhere that's well earthed.

8. Turn the ignition to ON (don't try and start it!).

9. Take the CAS in your hand with the little "stick" facing you and rotate that stick ANTI-CLOCKWISE.

You should get sparks leaping from the tips of the coils to the rocker cover one by one over and over. If indiviual coils spark sometimes and not others make sure there's a clear and clean path for it to spark to and from and that you're not turning it clockwise as it sparks unpredicatbly when you do.

To put it all back in, turn off the ignition, and go in reverse taking care with CAS, manipulate the stick until it slots over and the whole thing slides on, don't force it, then line those marks you made back up otherwise your timing will be out. Plug the injectors back in etc etc.

once the car is warm, just diconnect em one at a time, reconnecting.

if te idle doenst change... then youve got a stuffec oil pack

he can't do this unfortunately as his car wont start!

but yeah, that is the easiest way to test these kind of problems.