SAU Community

Would It Be Balanced To Drift?

Gday guy n girls

I currently drift my R33 which has a basic drift setup with all the basic suspension and driveline mods. Its fairly stable car and has good mid range torque equally too my previous Typex180, however i plane on selling skyline and getting its older brother. Once the car is sold i plane on getting a run about car and begin setting up an R32 for light track work and plenty of drift.

I plane to do an Rb25 converstion to the R32 soon after purchase, does the rb25 weigh much more than the rb20? Im wondering if i do converstion if the R32 is still be a well balanced coupe? It would include R33 gearbox with motor. Maybe with a good suspension setup it could become more stable if neccessary. Also Is it at all possibe too fit my Tomei 2way centre in an R32 when its meant and is currently in my R33? Can you get different half shafts or modify something to suit the R32?

Anyone with some constructive advice

or helpful pointers would be great :)

yeah ive heard r32, s13 are interchangable however am unsure on the R33, thanks for your input. Ive seen a very nice rb25 4door r32 in i think hpi 8 or 9 which took out the comp it was competeing in, very impressive.

HPI 8 as the nice green r32 4 door with RB25, it drifts unreal. all cars with the right setup and driver skill will drift.

i cant imagine that an engine swap from rb20 to rb25 would change the balance of the car. removing the underlay and unecessary trim bits would prob balance it up again.

roll cages and bracing increase weight, but improve chassis response.

an rb25 puts out more power and torque, but add a fraction more weight.

everything will equal out... and aslong as u get used to driving it and drifting it, it will be fine, everyone has their own style and car setup.

cheers

Linton

Engine swap: I would recommend against it. The RB20 is a great engine, and loves to be thrashed. Teamed up with cooler, fuel pump, adj FPR, boost control and a fuel cut defender (or remap ecu) - you are ready to thrash.

The RB20 absolutely rips with a HKS 2530 turbo or similar, enough for 220-230 rwkw, perfect.

The RB20 is alot cheaper than the RB25 should you lunch it, another factor to consider. For the cost of RB25 and gearbox, you could have several RB20 engines, or pay for alot of mods to the R32. Its just plain more cost effective, and the RB20 works fine. If you dont beleive me, check Kelly Mckinnon, who competes in the Drift Aust rounds.

As for balance, well of course it will change the balance. You may be able to sort the balance with the right sus, but it will never be as good as with the RB20 - why? ANY extra weight will have negative effects. Its not just about balance, a car that is lighter will have more effective power at the wheels, brake better, corner better, and most importantly, be better to control when drifting due to the reduced inertial.

Your diff - change the centre, it will swap across. You could fit the 33 diff (I have a 33 diff in my S13), but the R32 centre uses 4.3:1 ratios, the 33 is 4.1 and therefore not as good for drift/midrange.

Lastly, if you want an expert opinion, ring the guys of D1 Garage on 08 8294 1355, James had an RB20 powered cefiro that absolutey ripped with minimal mods, and took regualar (almost daily), long hard thrash sessions with no problem.

Thanks Linton, thats a good point about extra bracing and a rollcage would equally weigh to the rear if setup correctly a little time and research i think it could be achieved.

Thanks Steve, I know the Rb20 powered 32 is proven to be a good drift plateform, like you said there is plenty of Aussie winning events in these cars. However i know the money is $$$$ and could be spent rebuilding the rb20, however the consept of doing the conversion is too exciting.

Hey also Isnt the diff ratio determined by the teeth on crown wheel and pinion?? If i could i would be setting the 2way centre up in the R32 housing or even buy a non turbo R32 Diff and housing i think they have a 4.44:1 which would be good

Thanks Linton, thats a good point about extra bracing and a rollcage would equally weigh to the rear if setup correctly a little time and research i think it could be achieved.

Thanks Steve, I know the Rb20 powered 32 is proven to be a good drift plateform, like you said there is plenty of Aussie winning events in these cars. However i know the money is $$$$ and could be spent rebuilding the rb20, however the consept of doing the conversion is too exciting.

Hey also Isnt the diff ratio determined by the teeth on crown wheel and pinion?? If i could i would be setting the 2way centre up in the R32 housing or even buy a non turbo R32 Diff and housing i think they have a 4.44:1. So my diff ratio wouldnt be the R33 4.11 it would be either 4.33 or 4.44, thats if i bought a non turbo r32 diff and housing