SAU Community

Engine Bay Painting

GTSpec

I would like to paint the engine bay. Is it possible to do so without removing the engine, but removing pretty much all other components around it?

Also, what is the best technique?

Strip/sand back, then paint? Do i sand back until i see the colour fade away or just until its lost its sheen? I have read that some of the guys use scotchbrite(?) rather than sandpaper. What is this stuff?

PAINT: What sort of paint is best? Proffesional 2pack, or can spray cans produce a descent finish? Ive noticed that most engine bays paint jobs are usually low sheen. Is the paint a different grade (ie hi temp)? If I were to use spray cans, what type (ie hi temp, engine enamel etc) and wat brands are best?

I am planning to chrome plate anything i can remove, replace all nuts/bolts with s/s ones, and replace all hoses with silicone/braided hoses. Any input would be grateful.

If anyone knows of a link which shows a step-by-step preparation/spray painting tutorial (DOES NOT NEED TO BE ENGINE BAY, ANY SURFACE IS FINE), that would be great as i am also planning on painting my front lip which is cracked.

it is possible to do the sides and most of the firewall without removing the engine, but its alot of work to remove all the components from each side and paint it with 2 pack.

you could just do it with a pressure pack can of proper mixed paint, and do it in small bits. start in one corner and remove a few things and paint.

with things like brake lines and other parts that are a huge amount of work to remove, try smothering them with some vasoline or grease, after painting, just wipe it off and it comes up schweet.

good luck eh.

cheers

Linton