SAU Community

R32 feels like running out of petrol,but its got plenty of fuel???

turbohectics

Hey fellow Skyline owners ,

Hopefully some one else has experianced this or knows what the problem is?

The car is a R32 gtst aftermarket turbo wif shit loads of lag 1psi at 3400rpm then 9psi by abt 3700rpm .68 rear housing not sure abt front ,I just bought it so not sure about timing etc might need to be adjusted to bring boost on earlier or i think the wastegate (internal) is stayin open?

Any way after driving for 40 mins it starts chugging like its out of fuel so i pull over and put it in neutral clutch in and the revs start goin from 1000rpm to 2000 rpm really quick up and down for abt a minute, i wait for the idle to stop fluctuating then turn the car off.

Wait a few minutes then I can drive for about 20 mins or so then it will happen again????Any ideas running bp ultimate) I put optimax in and it still did it.But then in the morning cold i drove it wif no boost for 30 mins and it went sweet.no probs

Gonna check relays for fuel pump /maybe just replace it (is it intank or external)

Plus take fuel tank out and clean out check for matchbox cars etc

Any other IDEAS or no the direct problem???

ThANKS IN ADVANCE

you have obviously changed your fuel filter yes?

Yeah apparently its timing belt broke and ruined some of the valves so that got changed new valves , the fuel filter ,battery ,alternator all got replaced about two weeks ago by a mechanic got the reciept from previous owner so the car is back at mechanic and he gonna find out the problem and the previous owner is gonna pay for it to be fixed .because all this happened 10 mins after i bought the car .I test drove for 30 mins no probs .

Also the engine bay smelt like petrol after the car was playing up.but when i drove in the morning after without comin on boost for 30 mins to mechanic ..popped the bonnet and there was no smell of petrol!

change your fuel pump id say.

My petrol needle in the dash used to go down when on boost, (i thought it was supposed to :rofl:) The car ran lean in the top end, and used to chug sometimes....

I have upgraded to a bosch pump now, and when on boost it does the opposite slightly with the needle. It goes up a little bit when on boost. I put it down to it flowing more and the pressure is greater....

When they transport your car from Japan they empty the fuel tank, so your pump drys up in there....Id assume its not good for it, so id change it if i ever bought another car.

Might be worth a look....you never know. :D

Thanks fellas 'John21m" yeah i'm brians brother .

I'm waiting for this guy gonna get me 400hp fuel pump for $160 brand new .I got quated $300 for supply of f one place and $320 supply and fit off my mate adam .

I pulled the pump out in 10 mins so glad i didn't bother payin for someone else to take it out so just waitin for the cheap pump.Any one else no where to get cheap fuel pumps?

Its got standard regulator.are you guys running malpasi's are they a "must have"?

Also what plugs you guys running in your rb20dets?

Im just thinking it shouldnt be a pump. Really it shouldnt be a malpassi either, just I know when I had a black top one (not silver top) it had problems after it got warmer.

Think about it, you turn off the car... and it comes good for a bit, stuff with no processing isnt that smart, it wouldnt know if you turned it off or not. Say it was a heat isssue, they wouldnt reset. The money wouldnt be wasted going for bigger and better stuff, but if its not going to solve the problem...

Plugs: NGK BCPR6ES

I'm guessing that fuel pump is a walbro pump. I reckon its your pump 2, no harm in changing it anyway though coz im guessing your gonna need it down the track haha...

have you found out wat turbo you got on there yet?

I'm guessing that fuel pump is a walbro pump.  I reckon its your pump 2, no harm in changing it anyway though coz im guessing your gonna need it down the track haha...

Still not sure its big and Oil cooled .I get boost 1000 rpm quicker(3000rpm) now and i'm running 11 psi instead of the original 9psi it came wif running a home made boost controller(brass fittings for a plumber i presume),I put GFB atomic boost controller on it wound down to standard and it runs 11 psi then misfires at 4500 rpm so i checked the coils one has a crack and 2 others are bodgy.

Ive got NGK R 6 's aswell

hopefully i get fuel pump this week!PSSSSHHHH

I'm guessing that fuel pump is a walbro pump.  I reckon its your pump 2, no harm in changing it anyway though coz im guessing your gonna need it down the track haha...

Check your fuel regulators too, i had a stuffed front one.

Check your fuel regulators too, i had a stuffed front one.

Is there more than one? I unplugged its vacuum line to the throttle body and the revs died newly stalled so i m guessing it s in working order!

How would you go about checking if its working?

Or just buy black malpassi ?what pressure would you set it at?

Still not sure its big and Oil cooled .I get boost 1000 rpm quicker(3000rpm) now and i'm running 11 psi instead of the original 9psi it came wif running a home made boost controller(brass fittings for a plumber i presume),I put GFB atomic boost controller on it wound down to standard and it runs 11 psi then misfires at 4500 rpm so i checked the coils one has a crack and 2 others are bodgy.

Ive got NGK R 6 's aswell

hopefully i get fuel pump this week!PSSSSHHHH

sounds good, bring it to the sq one night, i wanna c it, i'll even run ya wen my car decides to work again...haha

Is there more than one? I unplugged its vacuum line to the throttle body and the revs died newly stalled so i m guessing it s in working order!

How would you go about checking if its working?

Or just buy black malpassi ?what pressure would you set it at?

Was a while back now but im pretty sure when i put it on the dyno i hooked up a fuel pressure guage and blocked off the return to the tank. When boosting it was showing poor readings fuel pressure wise.