SAU Community

screamer pipes

A screamer pipe is a short, unmuffled pipe from the wastegate. They dont run through any mufflers or catalytic converters, so yes they are highly illegal.

also do you know if screamer pipes (a pipe that goes from the wastegate to the back of the car)  are illegal?

It doesn't get much more illegal, you'd get done for no cat (big fine) and noise, hence the name "screamer".

Just buy a proper dump pipe, get a split type if you really must, BATMBL has quite a few on offer here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=15558

costwise i don't really want to spend another 200 bucks plus for an extra piece of metal when I can use the gas axe, welder and a bit of pipe for about 50 bucks.

also i reckon that if i plum it close to the cat (as far away from the turbo, this will give better turbo efficiency because there is less turbulence. Thats the idea of the screamer isn't it?

what you guys reckon?

The concept of screamer is when the wastegate dumps the excess exhaust gases to atmosphere. This is why it is called a screamer pipe.

It is recommended to plump back as far away from the turbo as possibble. This will reduce turbulence. For legal reasons this must be before the Cat converter.

Hope this helps

run the screamer pipe through a 2inch cat or something mountedunder the car.

this way the exhaust is let off through a cat (not illegal)

then go to your local exhaust shop (EPA approved or whatever) and get a db test done.

when they rev it to 4xxx RPM, the wastegate wont open, making it legal noise at the required RPM.

its only loud under full noise.

Think about it. :cheers:

run the screamer pipe through a 2inch cat or something mountedunder the car.

this way the exhaust is let off through a cat (not illegal)

then go to your local exhaust shop (EPA approved or whatever) and get a db test done.

when they rev it to 4xxx RPM, the wastegate wont open, making it legal noise at the required RPM.

its only loud under full noise.

Think about it. :P

Hey this is a clever idea :cheers:

I agree, this would work as you really only need a cat on the screamer pipe for legal reason's but mufflers and such are for noise reduction. The wastegate will not open at 4000rpm with no load so this will pass a db test.

You get the best of both world here, legal and a screameeeerrrr :wassup:

Hey this is a clever idea  :cheers:  

I agree, this would work as you really only need a cat on the screamer pipe for legal reason's but mufflers and such are for noise reduction. The wastegate will not open at 4000rpm with no load so this will pass a db test.

You get the best of both world here, legal and a screameeeerrrr  :wassup:

However, even though you pass the noise test you may not be legal still unless you adhere to the standards regarding how far back and where you are allowed to vent exhaust gases. In the ACT i am prett sure you are *only* allowed to vent exhaust gasses out behind the rear bumper and are not allowed to vent at an angle. Just something to think about.

Hey this is a clever idea  :cheers:  

You get the best of both world here, legal and a screameeeerrrr  :wassup:

not really, see thats extra piping, which in turn is extra weight.

when you could simply plumb it in just before your normals CAT

and you have no issues what so ever, and you save piping/weight and space

However, even though you pass the noise test you may not be legal still unless you adhere to the standards regarding how far back and where you are allowed to vent exhaust gases.  In the ACT i am prett sure you are *only* allowed to vent exhaust gasses out behind the rear bumper and are not allowed to vent at an angle.  Just something to think about.

In Vic I belive it's something along the lines of:

Behind the last openable window and on the drivers side

In NSW, I am pretty sure it has to be out the rear of the car only. I remeber seing a Viper at a car show over here, and they had to remove the side exhausts and put on ugly rear pipes to get it registered.

Jeff.