SAU Community

WHats Your Favourite BOV?

mofodm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything plumb back, I ahte attention.. I am really liking the GTR stocko's at the moment..

I would like to add that my least favourite would have to be my old GFB Mach One, that thing was offensively loud, it was mounted inforn tof the passenger wheel on the 180 and shortly after getting ti fitted I changed gears next a cyclist in ym small country town (as you do so that you can keep the car quiet as you go past) the noise scared him so muhc he fell off his bike... I felt bad :rofl: Living in the country he must ahve been sheltered from BOV's I think I was the first one in town too...

HKS SEQUENTIAL (not the 'whistle' fast n furious one) stutters when low boosting, really nice note when on full boost - heard em on 33 gtr, rvr and 34 gtt and all sound very different but all really good.

I get the stutter when low boosting, but i was really after the high pitch ching sound. Do you need to run more than 7 psi to get it?

Kristov - I'm running about 11 psi on a 34 and it only stops stuttering when really caning it - adjusting the spring tightness doesn't seem to make much difference on this bov either. I would say at 7 psi it would always stutter. The GTR is running 1 bar and the hks bovs sound really strange on it almost like a groan corssed between a quiet screetch :whatsthat

When I had it on my Rvr running 8 psi it mainly stuttered, when i increased to 14 psi it sounded more like a typical bov on max boost release. I'd say run 10 psi and fiddle with the spring (10 mm bolt stickin out of the end) to try and get the sound you want.

Hey guys im looking at getting a BOV now so help me with some newbie questions:

1) Are their any performance differences between BOV's? plumb back or atmo ?

2) If the plumb backs keep the air in then do they not make any noise ?

3) Does that mean that the stock BOV on 32gtst's is plumb back ?

Hey guys im looking at getting a BOV now so help me with some newbie questions:

1) Are their any performance differences between BOV's? plumb back or atmo ?

2) If the plumb backs keep the air in then do they not make any noise ?

3) Does that mean that the stock BOV on 32gtst's is plumb back ?

since no one has/can answer my questions ill help you (even though you should have searched and read), :D

1)unclear question but plumback is best for smoothness of running because no air is 'magically lost' due to the bov

2)yes they make much less noise and are hence legal, but you will still hear a plumback bov through an aftermarket air filter

3)yes r32s have plumback bovs standard (almost all these nissan turbos have stock plumback bovs)

remember the only function of a bov is to prevent back pressure from a suddenly closed throttle reaching the turbocharger which would slow boost response and may eventually cause shaft play in the turbo

there is no restrictor on a stock bov.

I assume he meant he PLUGGED UP the bleed hole in the base of the bov (you have to take it off to see it)

When I did this to my one, I got about 0.5 psi extra and the sound changed slightly..

oh and boost came on a little quicker as well.

as for best bov.. what you should do is get the one with the biggest trumpets and attach duck call horns in front of them trumpets..

so every gearchange goes.. psshhwwhhaaaaaa

Block it off, then you never have to worry about it leaking or any associated issues.

I was recommended to do this by a Jap D1 driver, as he explained it, if you vent the air from the inlest system it must repressurise after you change gears/throttle input, introducing throttle lag. This is what he preffered, but they do a lot of on/off throttle changes and balance a car through the drift with the throttle.

I have also used the Trust BOVs, which work well and allow you to plumb back

Out of interest, why do you need ideas for a bov? is the stock one not doing its job properly?