SAU Community

Using Car Stands?

eXc

Hey Guys,

I am curious.

You know how the car stands you buy to sit the car onto once you have it jacked up? Well are they bad to use on the side of the car? I ask, cause they are made for axels arent they? Not the side of the car?

If you look at the jack in the car, it has a more of a box shape, with a small opening to fit in the correct spot on the car. On the car itself, it has a built up solid part for it to go on.

The car stands don't have this. Will this bend the bit under the car?

Same goes for using a floor jack in those spots.

Assuming that it will cause damage, where should you put the stands? Or can you buy stands that have the correct 'fitting'

Do you understand what I mean?

For front, I would really use anything other than the bottom radiator support for jack stands.

When jacking, I tend to use the tow points, as they are welded to the end of the chasis rails and come down nice and low, and obviously are designed for a weight bearing load.

yeah good question.

Some things to avoid when jacking and using stands.....dont use the sills where the standard jack goes, and don't use the chassis rails. Unless you have a nice wide piece of wood or similar to spread the load out....otherwise you will bend it. Don't use the sump.

The best places are the front and rear subframes, or the diff at the rear.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I just bent my chassis rail a bit doign a preliminary jack .. :)

Sorry to sound like a newb, but what are the orange things that come in the toolkit (I have a GTR but i imagine it would be the same for all r32s).. are these used for spreading the load for the jack?

I have to jack up the rear of my car (just one side) and the diagram in the instruction manual doesnt really show anything, and the instructions dont specifically say where to jack it?

Just in front of the rear wheel theres a peice of steel that rounds out with a bolt in the center. From what I can see its the most logical thing for the jack to slide into given the shape of the top of the jack from the toolbox in the back. It seems like the right spot but i'm not sure. And my gf has my digicam! :)

But I get it back tmrw :D

Could someone chuck up some photos or something cause i'm really struggling to find a good place to jack up my R32 :P. I was just about to use the chassis rails but I don't really like the idea of bending them :P. If someone could explain where the hell the "The best places are the front and rear subframes, or the diff at the rear." are i'll take some photos.

• 3 weeks later...

Good question, coz im just about to buy stands. No way im paying mechanics to change oil. So what do people do? make there own adaptor out of metal or wood like benm said. Then use the sill, that sounds the go. Do you fix it to the stand or let the weight of the car hold it in place?

• 4 months later...

According to the R33 manual, you are supposed to support the front and rear of the car on the outside rail. Right next to the skirts. Mechanics use rubber blocks for various cars, and the Skylines have a seam which sticks out a little (the part you bent?) For Skylines, the rubber block must have a slit in it for this seam.

To jack the car, you really shouldn't go off anything other than the cross-member or gearbox mount. (would be pretty hard to get the gearbox mount that far back!) The sump sounds like a BAD idea to me.

Hope that helps!