SAU Community

FAQ: Can I use PVC pipe for intercooler piping

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the bends and that is exactly what it is eh !   :crazy:  

Enjoy   :)

I'm sure all the plumber go via Liverpool Exhaust before they fix a dunny.

..even though I'm taking the piss, I'd love to see this done :Pimp2:

autospeed.com.au did an article a few weeks back but instead of pvc pipe, they used copper pipe that slips together and you braze/solder it.

apparently before it all went pvc, copper was mainly used and is still available from good plumbing stores.

i was suprised at how cheap the article claimed that the copper pipe was too.

worth checking out.

i used a bit of pvc on my old 1.6 turbo tx3 when the cooler hose popped. it melted after a few mins cause it was too close the exhuast manfold. so i assume if you make cooler pipiing out of pvc, youll have to wrap it up to stop it fom being cooked.

steve

its can be done but i cant imagine myslef with a bbq gas bottle and a stupid gas pipe with metal tip spitting flames out of it.

if any1 have a safer way, tell me i wouldnt mind trying it out myslef.

on secound thoughts..............i think its too dangerous, ill let nj hurt himslef first b4 i try it out. relise heating it wil making it more brittle, prone to break or strecth, so any high pressure going through wouldnt be too safe.

:S all my support lies in NJ

autospeed.com.au did an article a few weeks back but instead of pvc pipe, they used copper pipe that slips together and you braze/solder it.

apparently before it all went pvc, copper was mainly used and is still available from good plumbing stores.

i was suprised at how cheap the article claimed that the copper pipe was too.

worth checking out.

The hybrid kits come with copper piping

I gave the electrical piping a look and found it softens and deforms at 98 deg C, which is no good for the sustained high temps in the racecar.

Good concept but just no longevity.

I saw some PVC intercooler plumbing on a CA18DET S13 Silvia runs 13PSI. He painted it black. It doesnt look bad. To be honest I probably wouldnt have even noticed it if he didnt point it out. Seems to be effective. Although I personally wouldnt do it because I can get SS done relativly cheap cause my mates are boilermakers. I cant see anything wrong with PVC.

ya, the high pressure stuff is generally green :P

i dont think id trust pvc pipe as I/C piping.. the middle is a foamy-like substance, its designed to run on a 2/3 full system, so its never actually full, or under pressure, whereas 'pressure pipe' is designed for a full, pressured system, but at 2-3" isnt alot cheaper than steel, if at all..

ill just buy some s/s pipe from work at wholesale price for mine :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see it do 10 laps of a race track. OK for a dyno queen or daily driver where little time on boost is seen, but on a track the heat will have time to soak and then you have a problem.