SAU Community

intercooler mountings?

krush

hey all,

having had my skyline for awhiles now, im thinking about upgrading the standard side mount incoolder in favour for a front mount. now, ive heard of piping kits but im not real sure how these go together. questions are such,

how does the intercooler mount? are custom brackets needed to bolt it to the body?

these piping kits, are the a set of numerous bends/straights for what *might* be needed, or are they specific to fit r32's etc?

ive got a gtr front spoiler, there looks to be a lot of room behind it, would i need to cut away any of the spoiler for the pipes to fit in there?

just a few questions im unsure of, dont want to jump into anything and find problems later on :S

thanks guys!

shaun.

most people weld brackets to the top and bottom of the intercooler and just bolt it on. It works but transmits lots of vibration to the intercooler which could lead to weld fatigue. If you do bolt it straight to the body, try to at least put a rubber washer in between to help isolate the intercooler. Ideally it would be mounted to the body in the same way that the radiator is from the factory. Take a look at that and try to get close to it.

a lot of the coolers these days have threaded screw points in the top, so its simply a matter of finding the right bolts and using those, in conjunction with some metal brackets (which you may have to build yourself out of sheet metal, cladding, etc), attaching this to the chasis at a suitable point.

You should got to an install by wados HERE it may help you give a few ideas about an install.You will be able to see the intercoolers mounting brackets on the bottom quite easily but the top is harder to see.But as predator said it is easy to build a bracket yo self..

His type of install is entirely based on a budget diy build,and,is a great guide to an install.

HTH..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I would never LS an R32 either. I do have truly evil thoughts about VK56s or the Toyo V12s out of New Zealand though. Very hard to justify for my daily....
    • Oh no. There's heaps. A whole lot of them are legitimately handling/installation problems. The material used in the L19 bolts is susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement and must be kept well oiled and not handled without gloves, etc etc. There have been many failures of these from people who didn't realise. There may also have been failures caused by conditions inside the engine (say, head gasket failures?) and people didn't realise that that was probably a death warrant. But that's the L19 material. The ARP 2000s are not made of the same stuff and are more forgiving. But from what I gather there have been occasions where the head has pulled off of one, and non-one can say that the installation was at fault (given good torque records), etc etc, but maybe just maybe the face of the rod shoulder where the bolt head sits wasn't actually perfectly square to the bore of the hole...and loaded up the head with a torque across it and.... ping! I've head stories of bolt heads being found in corners of workshops or in the bottom of sumps even without starting and running the engine! Trouble is, it is really hard to sort the true material failures from the handling/installation failures. It's worse than human medicine. You can only run the experiment once, and you can't run it backwards in time to look at the rod before it became a modern sculpture.
    • In my experience with maxspeed rods, it was not that the ARP rod bolts were "fake" but they are made under licence from ARP, rather than made directly by ARP. Not the same thing and quite likely to have more quality variations, let's be realistic. I haven't had any issues with mine.  I daresay look hard enough, there would be some failures of genuine ARP products too though? Even if very few.
    • Haha honestly the thought crossed my mind but skylines are so damn rare here someone would probably hang me 😂    I’ve had a few LS swapped cars (280zx and a foxbody mustang) so trying something a bit different this time 
    • Not much info in that request..... If you have a VIN you could look up the factory part number here: https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/nissan