SAU Community

HELP - Engineer's certificate for modifications

Hi

Can someone enlighten me to the laws now governing basic modifications in nsw? I'm looking to do the following mods:

full exhaust

coilover suspension

pod filters

....pretty basic stuff i thought, but apparently i need an engineer's certificate.

Does anyone know what i'm legally required to do? Who can provide me with an engineer's certificate and at what cost?

thanks

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...s/vsi/vsi15.pdf

List of RTA approved engineering signatories in NSW. The scheme is currently being replaced (with the Vehicle Compliance Certification Scheme), but at the moment the list is still current.

Look to get an engineering certificate for around $450, depending on what needs to be done. Costs will vary, but that's a price I got quoted when I asked around.

You can't get pods engineered for.

Need stock airbox i was told.

Incorrect. All that is needed to get a pod engineered is a drive-by noise test. The test basically involves:

1. Driving up to a marker in 3rd gear @ 50km/h.

2. When you hit the marker, accellerate for 20m, then back off.

3. Repeate 3 or so times for an accurate reading.

The engineer is at road level, about 3m from the edge of the road, reading the noise your car makes with a db meter. Anything under 90db is good, and a certificate will be issued.

Costs about $500 to get a whole car engineered.

Yeah you can get pod engineered. Apperantly the only ADR this relates to is noise so as long as it's under 90db you're ok. Mine is un-oiled and the engineer stupilated this on the certificate however I'm not sure if that's a requirement. I didn't have to do a drive by test.

In terms of exhaust it has to be under 90db mine was read from approx 30cm at 3000rpm.

The coilovers - as long as the height is 100mm from the ground you're ok, this applies everything but the tyre and wheel.

And off course - the whole lot you get engineered has to be deemed safe engineering wise, so things like coilovers that are 101mm off the ground don't cut it if they're sticky-taped on :)

Also - technically, you DO need an engineers with all that stuff however you're not going to really get picked on (atleast around where I live). If you're planning on getting any other mods in the near future consider getting them and then having the whole lot engineered as it will end up cheaper.

As for the actual laws - a good guide is checkout the RTA website and look at all the motoring requirements they put out. A car in NSW is (from my limited knowledge) subject to those guidelines and the national ADRs. I was having a chat to my engineer and he says even for him it's hard to go and look through the whole lot because the laws and guidelines are all over the place.

Another myth he busted for me is the shift pattern on the gear knob, apperantly one of his customers he'd engineered got defected for it. When he heard back from the customer he went through ADRs and regulations to look for it, and it's never mentioned anywhere so he said that's rubbish too.

PM me if you're North Shore area and you need a good engineer. The guy I used was an absolute champ and he quoted me the best quote, when he came out he ended up charging me less anyway.

What's required seems to differ from engineer to engineer from talking to them. When I wanted to get my pod done, one told me it was ok, another told me it would be fine so long as it had a serial number on it (??). Anyway in the process of looking for one too, as I think the money outlaid would be better than fines for a defect - plus I'm sure it would make my insurance company happier if all the mods are registered with the RTA..

Thanks for the info guys.

My insurance company is also saying that it needs approval of the mods by the RTA as well....??? Doesn't the engineer's certificate take care of this or is there an inspection that the RTA will perform as well?

I'm fairly new to nsw so I don't know all the laws.

The POD filter will need to be enclosed in some type of box (CAI)

A H pattern is required near the gear stick that indicates the shift pattern.

Cheers

I've got both engineered fine. Did someone knock you back or have you just heard this?

Anyway - tk80, when you get the engineers certificate, they give you 2 copies, one for the RTA, one for you. When you get your rego you have to take your cert to the RTA and they will keep one copy for their records.

When they print you your rego sticker it will have a code on it stating your rego conditions - these will relate to those things specified on your engineers cert. Your copy you must keep in your car as RTA/police can ask you for it and it's a condition of rego.

If you're anywhere near North Shore/Chatswood area or within a reasonable area of that give me a PM and I'll give you the contact details of my engineer. He was recommended to me and I now recommend him ;)