SAU Community

Replumb ebc to be like Jaycar style

ned

Hi all,

After reading the project book on the Jaycar boost controller, and having built the autospeed manual boost controller before, I like the way they put a valve in line with the wastegate to prevent it from seeing any boost until you determine. This lets you control not only the peak boost but also the rate of boost increase, so that the turbo can come on as hard as you want. This contrasts with standard where the valve is in parrallel with the wategate which is still seeing boost and hence starting to bleed (which slows the rate of boost increase) despite the fact you may be tricking it into seeing less that the actual boost.

If I understand correctly though, most other EBC's ( I am thinking of getting the boost control kit for the PFC) replace the factory solenoid with another, which acts to lower the boost seen by the wastegate, but not eliminate wastegate creep?

So............can I then change the plumbing of the EBC solenoid so that it is now in line with the wastegate, and change the programing, so that it doesnt open until I want to slow the rate of boost. I imagine that this means that programming it will be a little different, but it should result in a faster boosting setup ? :wassup:

Has anyone tried this, or is the logic a little off?

Cheers

Ned

Hi  all,

After reading the project book on the Jaycar boost controller, and having built the autospeed manual boost controller before, I like the way they put a valve in line with the wastegate to prevent it from seeing any boost until you determine. This lets you control not only the peak boost but also the rate of boost increase, so that the turbo can come on as hard as you want. This contrasts with standard where the valve is in parrallel with the wategate which is still seeing boost and hence starting to bleed (which slows the rate of boost increase) despite the fact you may be tricking it into seeing less that the actual boost.

If I understand correctly though, most other EBC's ( I am thinking of getting the boost control kit for the PFC) replace the factory solenoid with another, which acts to lower the boost seen by the wastegate, but not eliminate wastegate creep?

So............can I then change the plumbing of the EBC solenoid so that it is now in line with the wastegate, and change the programing, so that it doesnt open until I want to slow the rate of boost. I imagine that this means that programming it will be a little different, but it should result in a faster boosting setup ? :wassup:  

Has anyone tried this, or is the logic a little off?

Cheers

Ned

Hi Ned, my first suggestion would be to have a read of the Jaycar IEBC and DFA thread in the Stagea section.

The difference between the IEBC concept and the usual EBC, is that EBC's close the solenoid to decrease boost. This decreases the bypassed pressure and lets more airflow to the wastegate actuator. Whereas the IEBC opens the solenoid to decrease boost. This increases the airflow to the wastegate actuator.

The programmig logic in an EBC would therefore say;

decrease boost = close solenoid

The programmig logic in an IEBC would therefore say;

decrease boost = open solenoid

I don't think you could change the programming in an EBC so redically as to reverse its logic ompletely.

A solution, I have seen a Norgren valve inserted into the feed line to the solenoid such that the solenoid gets zero boost until a preset pressure. This is similar in concept to how the Autospeed 2 valve boost controller works. Consequently, even though the EBC might allow the solenoid to be open (prematurely), the valve stops any airflow and the wastegate stays closed.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation:cheers:

Hi SK,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I logic you explained is exactely how I understood it to be, but not having played with an EBC or PFC I was unsure whether you program them on the basis of boost (via feedback from a sensor), or on duty cycle and then measure boost afterwards.

If I understand you, a conventional EBC doesnt let you control valve opening rather you control boost level which the software converts to solenoid opening duration?

Thanks

Ned

PS - I already have the valves form the Autospeed II setup, and currently have that plumbed into my standard setup, so could transfer that to the new one if that is the only way to control wastegate creep.