SAU Community

Inertia Drift

Shell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If so, "scandanvian flick", its how you get the saab to oversteer :D

You'll see it in any rally car approaching a corner, instead of a usual racing line (outside, in to apex, outside again on exit), they approach on the inside of the corner, turn to the outside, and then turn in again to the apex (or sliding past) in one smooth motion. This means the back of the car "flicks" around, increasing its tendancy to oversteer.

Same works fine if you're trying to get the skyline sideways (don't need to do anything brutual like using the handbrake).

Perhaps fatz could offer more...

umm yep slip, I won't be forgetting that in a hurry :D;):)

can't remember WHAT i hung onto in your car, but I hope you've removed the fingernails hehe :D

thanx for the replies everyone....Duncan especially, i can picture what u mean from what you wrote...which is good cos it's sometimes hard to understand when "written down"... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i thought inertia drift was where, whilst cornereing, the inertia/weight of the rear end of the car forces the rear end slightly to the side, therefor breaking traction allowing you to plant it to keep it sideways, with the rally style counter sway into sharper corners, is to get the car to be almost straight after the corner with minimal extra sway, the drift version of this is to plant the crap out of it when you do it, and hold the anti lock and feel the car around the corner....i think???? this is how it feels for me...but im not a pro....iv never been on track, only street......so shhhh..

I always thought that inertia drift was just one of the "dorifto names" for the old feint drift ttechnique. If so then yeah,for a right turn, flick it hard left, then flick hard right, as the weight is about to transfer get the tyres loose and presto, sideways. Its the only way I can get the rear out predicably with the meagre power of my rb30e, aside from late drift coming out of a Corner.

It would be the best way to link multiple left and rights, which you can do by ,in essence, over correcting so that at the end of the slide through bend number one it flicks into a slide through bend 2.

Its the same physics principle as when you get over confident and under skilled and start whiteknuckle fishtailing down the road when you over correct, you know how the car flicks right uncontrollably from the left etc when you are not in tune with the controls? you are trying to do this in a controlled fashion.

cheers,

floody

r32, i'm pretty sure what u're describing is another technique. feint drifting applies to using the suspension rebound of the car to induce oversteer.

what u're describing is hard braking entry into corner, forcing weight from the rear to the front. this puts more weight on the front tyre, allowing u to control steering. the weight off the rear makes the tyres sort of come loose and whip around, again an oversteer situation.

in mid-corner, like in rallies, and to a lesser extent, on the track, the technique is applied using the left leg, allowing the car, if understeering in the corner, to gain traction and slight oversteer so u can turn the corner and not run into the tyre wall.

r32, i'm not too sure about what u're saying, however drifting round a course requires the driver to link a lot of drift techniques together to successfully get through the course.

what i have described in my previous thread is known as weight transfer and is widely used in all forms of motorsports. it's not only meant for drift but to assist turn in, apex and exit.

shell ..,,,, inertia drift describes itself really ... its as simple as picturing in slow motion going around a corner when u tighten up your weight transfer is too great for the two rubbers in the rear of the car to hold the laterall g forces so in turn they let go of the road and struggle for grip thats in their threashhold. basically till u ease off the throttle or pick up so much speed ur engine dont develope the power to keep em going ..... i noticed people talking about scandinavian flick???? what the hell??? anyway,,, in the world of drifting and rallying it is called PENDULLUM this is when ur going flat knackers down a straight comming to sharp bend usually a 5right or left or tighter,, when u apply the brakes hard the weight transfer goes all the way to the front starting a sideways motion cuz the back wheels are locked up and the front are just barley turning. to keep the car on the side of the road u need ,,, its training that teaches u how to pendullum swing,,,,,

i hope this helped u shell ..

i noticed people talking about scandinavian flick???? what the hell??? anyway,,, in the world of drifting and rallying it is called PENDULLUM this is when ur going flat knackers down a straight comming to sharp bend usually a 5right or left or tighter,, when u apply the brakes hard the weight transfer goes all the way to the front starting a sideways motion cuz the back wheels are locked up and the front are just barley turning. to keep the car on the side of the road u need ,,, its training that teaches u how to pendullum swing,,,,,

"In the world of drifting and rallying"? do you have anything to do with rallying? ever met a rally driver? scandinavian flick is the most common colloquial term they use for the left/right/left (or vice versa) flick technique, to set the car up into a slide. It is not done because the car is all over the place with locked wheels (though they might be locked up), its done to set the car up on the right attitude for the corner, and its more efficient than yanking the handbrake, a clutch kick or most of the techniques touted by the drift(rice)boys. Also think about the physics-unless there is something wrong with the geometry/axle location of your car, braking hard will not make it sway side to side down the road, unless there is some outside factor. :)

Ok that done, so is this inertia drift you speak of a method of making a car slide through artificially inducing instability under braking? through weird suspension setup, excessive front end dive or adverse brake biasing? Someone once said- "drift workshops- you mean you pay them money to make your car handle like shit?!?" :)

cheers,

floody

making it sway side to side is not done by the brakes. it's done with the steering wheel. braking is used to transfer weight, putting weight on the front allows front to turn in, loosening back for oversteer situation.

the left/right/left flick is the feint drift, but i'm assuming you want to link 2 corners together using the flick, thus, when you exit the 1st say right hander and the left is coming towards you, you could use the suspension rebound from the 1st right hander to induce oversteer for the 2nd corner.

clutch kick is not a lousy technique. it's used to overcome understeer and if you'd download some jap drift videos, you will hear the obvious rise in rpm when they dive into a drift, which is the clutch kick.

locking up the wheels, is again, another technique used to drift, which is called shift lock. using excessive downshit without heel toe to balance the car causes compression lockup which locks the rears.

there are drift setups for cars, but i assume these cars won't be driven on a daily basis. excessive camber and toe out would not be a good thing for a car to have on the highway.

mmm interesting ,,,, FLOODY i see "theory" has overtaken u lot

Try doing it your way 160 kays round a powder coated ballbearing gravel forest and we shall see the scandinavian bumjack.. everyone has there style,,, text is easily mis-interprited

i dont want arguments,, for ur information there is nothing wrong with our evo 3 or 6 or any other car in the arc or wrc,, take the time get some footage with no commentry listen to the cars i mean really listen them,,, maybe u misunderstood maybe my story was not what i wanted to describe,,, who knows ,, but i tell u what if u think u can defy the law of physics and u can swing 1200kg of weight doin 160 170 kays and slamming the brakes round a slight bend and keep it straight cuz ur car is perfect .... i will kiss my own ass,,, and there will be a new class made just for you,,,, THE UDOTU ultimate drivers of the universe.

rb26dett i know swaying is not made by the brakes ,,, but just thing of another factor .... the brakes on our cars ar not small like brembos,,,, on gtrs' 14 inch discs on the light weight rockets,,, just think we peel off tread on dirt roads the ass of these cars just barely touch the ground on hard braking,,, look im not wrc master but i do know how to pendullum a car i have done it ,, i teach it . i was assesed on it,,, i was tought it .. PLEASE everyone dont think a car handles on dirt like it does on road ,,, i preffer the road but its progressive, smooth, predictable .. lol just jump in constant 4wd setup like that and u will understand and when u do (IF U DO) ur both gonna say FARRK THAT DOPE MENIOS WAS RIGHT ,,,,,

regards menios.....

cheers,,