SAU Community

Don't forget, the japs and the suppliers that find these cars, know that it may be their last chance to get a decent price (overpriced to them) on that old 15 year car thats been sitting there, waiting for an overseas buyer.. Otherwise what do they do with them? some will be literally junked.

Sellers should be able to profit a bit on this at the last minute too :cheers:

good luck with it! whichever way you decide.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I have. I have a bout 10k total to spend, so if I bought that I would be pushing it to get it here as I have barley anymoney in reserve once you take the price of a mechanical inspection out. Probably wouldn't be the wisest thing to do, thanks for helping though :(

thanks rob, looks like some really nice cars there.

Ok guys well we all know about the 15yr rule, but i managed to pick up something up yesterday afternoon www.j-spec.com.au/list/2223 ... well I'm really happy with it, because I was convinced that I'd missed out on it all together and I was cracking the shits and punching stuff and what not. Called J-spec and talked to craig about this car... I'd previously disregarded it because of the stuff abou the airconditioning compressor. Craig said that they actually have more details, and the comment about the aircon compresor had been removed, he said it was most likely a misinterperetation with the missing air con vent. I stressed to him that my number one priority was mechaincal soundness, and he said that the supplier was really trusted and were very thourough. He also said that he could arrange with the supplier, that we would purchase the car only if it was in excellent mechanical condition, he requested a test drive and another inspection just to make sure, and everything came through allright, import approval was submitted last night and i got the invoices for the car today. We also got 200dollars of the FOB price which is cool....I know it was a semi rushed decision but I feel i got a pretty good car for the price.

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with the skyline writing at the back being in red? is it a factory thing? has anyone else seen it?... oh and ill fix the sig asap shan...lol

Does anyone know where abouts the car is stored on the ship with RORO shipping? If it's open aired, or on the deck has anybody had any problems with a couple of weeks worth of salted air? If for some reason the japanese wharfies can't start your car, do they jumpstart or do they use a forklift? I've heard a few things about forklifts here.. does Kiwi insuarance cover any chassis damage done by forklifts?

• 2 weeks later...

hey sorry for late reply, have you found a skyline yet? dont give up there are heaps of good ones still around.

anywayz we got our skylines for under 300000 YEN FOB, both were auction grade 3.5, although mine did have a slight oil leak, in the rear main seal, other then that no other issues. My brothers one had no issues with his car.

Shop smart and you will find the car that is just right for you.

J_R32 yeah I got one :D its all explained in the above posts ^^^

For the price you paid for the car 9k driveaway sounds fantastic.... do you mind telling my how much all the other things costed? shipping, GST, stamp duty and compliance?? PM me if you wish, if you don't want to say thats cool I respect that. Thanks for the assistance :(

By the looks of the wear on the gearknob its possibly done close to 200,000km's.

Mines done 185,000km's and its only 'just' started to polish.

The rust you mention is quite common. I only had a tinny little bit of rust at the bottom of the door sill. Where the rear guard sill mates up with the center sill.

As you open the door you look down and can see it, I've had mine fixed when the car was sprayed.

Also with the amount of kays it has you WILL need to replace all the little tinny hard to get at heater hoses and fuel hoses under and on top of the inlet manifold etc..

Hopefully its already been done. :rant:

The gearbox will no doubt need a front and rear seal. Easy and cheap to do when you get the clutch done. :D

Don't let the kays put you off the car as parts are cheap and easy to get.

cool thanks anyway.. I was looking at Kiwi's website.. and its pretty hard to understand. It seems like their prices depend on the size of the car in cubic metres... Does anybody how big the r32 is in cubic metres? lol

cheers mark... So according to the Kiwi site the charges are $72US per cubic metre. It also says "Ex Melbourne or Sydney add AUD 18 per cbm to Ocean Freight"... I assume this means interstate trucking???

So far the shipping costs are as follows:

$72 US/cbm for the shipping iteself

$18 AUD/cbm for trucking (if thats what it is)

$0.80 AUD/cbm GST

$75 for the Quarantine Inspection

that works out to be $1273.86 with the current exchange rate.. interesting, J-spec quote $1800 for shipping.. maybe this includes the price of a customs agent ($150). What else am I missing?

Actually I don't think I have any idea about that trucking stuff... I think it has something to do with the Aus - new zealand route.. Who knows how much brisbane/melbourne trucking costs these days?