SAU Community

Checking around the Skylines

bmwpaul

Hi all I've been hanging 'round the Skyline fringes for a while now, reading lots of posts as I'm interested buying a car in the future. Properly R33, to me nicest shape and at the kinda money I want to spend. I'm a little older than some of you guys so I have other things to spend my money on! LOL I went to the States via Japan 'bout this time last year. Didn't see any Skylines on the street, but did see a couple of Stagea Wagons in Tokyo and bought a copy of GTR Mag for about 1200 yen on my last day there. I have cruzed the car yards on Paramatta Road just getting a feel for it all so I'm really interested in more of the total owner ship thing. E.g. insurance, servicing I was interested in reading about the sagas with defects and Regency Park for some of you guys. Is this some thing that happens a lot? I don’t really want to buy a car to be picked up all the time. The don't even look at my work van! Any feed back would be a great help

if ur not doing cruises on friday and saturday nites ur fine.

my car isnt stock, but through booze buses they couldnt care as long as you are polite. sunday cruises up the hills and down the coast are great, and ive come to appreciate why people like imports, as i hated them before. they are generally good cars if you find the right one and its not too modified. nissan do services for $180 and generally they are good clean fun.

mine will be up for sale soon so if your interested let me know.

luke

Hi BMWpaul (and welcome)

My sedan is modified, (as listed in my signature) but I have had no problems with the police (touch wood)

I put this down to my car being a sedan (not as obvious as a coupe) that I am not an 18year old in a sports car, and that it isnt dropped onto the ground, and my exhaust isnt too loud. I believe in general if you dont hoon infront of the police or give them anything obvious to pick on then you should be fine.

I would recomend a Stagea or a Sedan, both great cars and a little different than the normal coupes

LOL I went to the States via Japan 'bout this time last year. Didn't see any Skylines on the street, but did see a couple of Stagea Wagons in Tokyo and bought a copy of GTR Mag for about 1200 yen on my last day there.

Strange, I did the states via Japan as well in August last year and back and Australia via Japan. While I was there I saw heaps of Skylines, and took many photos too. mostly R33 GTS25t's and GTR's, saw hardly any R32 GTSt's but alot more R32 GTR's and quite a few R34 GTT's and a couple 34 GTR's.

Saw a couple Stagea's and one was a Autech 260RS. I had lots of fun just looking at all the cars.

I have never had any problems with the police and my Skyline, even though I have done my fair share of weekend night city driving. (Although I dont drive through the city like an idiot so cops havent picked on me)

Anyway welcome to the forum.

yep I agree with what is said above - if you are generally well behaved and don't do the Friday and Saturday night Hindley, Rundle and Bay cruising you are mostly left alone. Except of course unless you come across a cop with a bee in their bonnet, in which case they will go to town on you and your car. Luckily you are a bit older like many of us on here, and the police tend to respect you more and not look for trouble.

That said, if you don't want the negative police attention that Skylines bring, buy a 200SX like mine, and you basically get left alone. The cops seem to have the import models programmed into their brains as defectable and troublemakers.

Or even better if you have some money under your belt, bring in a nice R34GTR so we can all gawk at it on cruises :)

at the very beginning of the ownership of my skyline, i actually cruise around city at night time 3-4 times a week

which covered every defect station

as i am addicted to criuse in my line and McDonald's soft serve core :cheers:

NEVER had a single problem with police, not even pull over by them

& i have been driving import for 3 years.

age and yr behave makes all the different

as u mention u are a little older than some of us sure u won't have any trouble

First off thanks for all of the feed back, I kinda figured out the answers but it was nice to hear from you all. I am thinking my possible Skyline will be more of a weekend driver rather than a every day driver. Thanks again

My car looks obviously modified and to be quite honest I do get somewhat nervous when I go out for a drive anyday. The reason being the bad general reputation of Japanese imports. It takes away a bit of the pleasure of owning and using one. I have been pulled over twice in 2003 for being slightly over the speed limit but was sent off with a warning on both occasions. At my age, the police must know that I'm not into hooning around. Plus, my driving history is quite untarnished.

It's a risky thing this skyline ownership. Three years on however I have no regrets whatsoever

Buddy, personally you gotta way up the whole 4WD - rear wheel drive, Auto - Mannual, then decide which car you would like. After a few months of deciding myself between 33 4door, 32GTR and Stagea, i worked out a Stagea gennerally comes out AUTO unless you pay more. Then i worked out 32GTR too old for what i want, but had everything 4WD(Rear wheel drive at a flick of a switch) and mannual easy to find. Came down to R33 4Door, i liked this option because not as many arround as 2door. Ended up buying a 2 door 33 off of a mate and don't regret it at all! went through a defect station(couldn't avoid it and also during the day, fricken doggas) 2 months after buying it, got through after he told me to rip tint off, remove turbo timer and she no worries.

Personally i think with your age, time you will be driving and sort of car you choose you will be fine.

Just gotta remember when you wanna do something stupid(fat) thenlook over your shoulder or head to the hills where there is not many copa dogs out there, and also they aint gonna keep up with you in the hills(not in a commo) so just pleasurly drive away

:headspin: :cheers::) :ufo: FLAMO :flamed:

• 4 weeks later...