SAU Community

Blue Slip/Import Papers?

Ok so ive rang up the rta 3 times now and asked them the same question do i need need import papers when im getting a blue slip in nsw when the car is registered in queensland, and they all have told me no but whenever i go to a stoopid ass mechanic they always demand import papers and wont look at the car until they have them, then one rang up the rta and confirmed this, but everytime i seem to call they tell me i dont need them, im pissed off cause i dont have these import papers, the guy i bought my car from "lost some of the papers"

has everyone else needed to provide import papers when registering the car in a state where it hasent been registered before?

Ok so ive rang up the rta 3 times now and asked them the same question do i need need import papers when im getting a blue slip in nsw when the car is registered in queensland, and they all have told me no but whenever i go to a stoopid ass mechanic they always demand import papers and wont look at the car until they have them, then one rang up the rta and confirmed this, but everytime i seem to call they tell me i dont need them, im pissed off cause i dont have these import papers, the guy i bought my car from "lost some of the papers"

has everyone else needed to provide import papers when registering the car in a state where it hasent been registered before?

Mate, you are up sh1t creek then. if you don't have the import approval from DOTARS, you best write to them and request a copy. Otherwise forget about getting it rego'd in NSW.

If the car was rego'd in QLD for 2 years or more then you are safe. If not, it will need to satisfy the NSW engineer regs - Hope you have the engineer cert.... if you have this you will then have to check that the engineer that did your car is registered to certify cars in NSW.

Seriously it is that crappy...

If you (a) don't have the import approval, (B) don't have the engineer cert, or © have a car that was rego'd in QLD for at least 2 yrs, then you are screwed and are silly fo buying a car without that paperwork. But never mind that - write to DOTARS, see if the engineer is certified in NSW and see how long it was regod in QLD....

Good luck, you are going to need it. (NB - I went ot change my rego from ACT to NSW, short story, they wanted me to get a new engineer cert to show it met NSW standards - solution, I'm leaving it rego'd in ACT until it reaches 2 years...)

ahhhh *** yah i heard about the two year rego aswell but its only been registered here for 6 months, i rang up the automotive engineer and he told me that i dont need to get an engineers certificate because its already been complied here and has the compliance plate on the car and a VIN number therefore i dont need to get it certified here again

im planning to send a letter to the guys in canberra, cant remember what there called at the moment but u mentioned them, hoping to get a copy of the import papers, cause its already been approved here and shit, just need the actual import papers i guess for more proof, the guy i bought it of is alright he just said he might'v lost them when he moved to nsw from queensland, so yah if i he lost them im gona get him to send a letter to them to get another copy then it should be sweet

Technically, it can't have been registered without an import approval.

DOTARs should have this - enquire with them

As far as I know, you'll need to get it re-engineered to NSW standards as QLD engineers does not comply to NSW standards...

When the guy who did the blue slip, registered our Stagea he looked up the import approval on the DOTARS web site. Those and the compliance plate on the Stagea were all he needed.;)

My car was rego'ed and complied in Victoria. I had to get an engineers but that's prolly cos it had an engine transplant done in Aus.

If you get stuck and can't get your import papers and need an engineer PM me. I got mine done for less than 1/2 a lot of people have paid and he was a top bloke. North Shore area.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! update to the situation

well i wrote a letter to dotars and they sent me a letter back saying the car had import approval on this date..... as a RAWS SEVS vechile etc....

so i went to the mechanic and he told me i need to get an engineers certificate done, so i called up an automotive engineer than the rta special enquires and they told me both cause the car has a Registered Automotive Workshop number on it i dont need an engineers certificate, then i called back the mechanic and his like nah the engineers dont know shit blah blah u still need one

would anyone know who is right? i would tend to go with the rta and an rta approved engineer rather than a mechanic

i rang up a different mechanic not really around my area and he confirmed that i dont need an engineers certificate so im gona go to him since all the ones around this area dont know anything

so hopefully it will be all sweet, im thinking all i need is the letter from dotars, queensland rego papers and receipt for the car