SAU Community

Can Weber get up tonight?

IS it just me or is there way too much secrecy with what's ging on wih th cars during practice? The comentators keep saying. "And he failed to elaborate" this and "he was unwilling to elaborate" that...

And wtf is wrong with the renaults?

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm 2nd to 6th...dont think you can blame Weber though, i think his qulaifying ability is putting the car on a grid where it simply doesnt belong...oh well, its good to see Couthard in the points again:)

Hmm 2nd to 6th...dont think you can blame Weber though, i think his qulaifying ability is putting the car on a grid where it simply doesnt belong...oh well, its good to see Couthard in the points again:)
It wasn't his just his ability that put him on the front row grid - the fact that he was nearly 20kg's lighter in fuel load makes nearly 1 sec a lap difference.

Other than a silly mistake that let Barrichello through just before his pitstop, i think Webber raced ok. It's not his racing that's overly letting him down, it's moreso poor car speed from the Williams and it's inability to get off the line. Hopefully they can get it sorted in the next few races, but it looks like McLaren are starting to get it together and could be the team to beat for the rest of the season.

I dont get it Webber last year was hailed as "the next big thing to hit" but jus didnt have the car to win with now he does and the excuses are coming out again???

From the races i've watched It seems he more so tries to fight to hang on to positions rather than fight to take positions from other drivers.???

The talk this morning is that Weber has the goods but the team hasn't quite got the strategy sorted?

He was up there with the quicker lap times, but the commentary is that he kept getting caught up in traffic when the car was at it's lightest/ most capable of making gains.

it hard to say whats going on, the car should be fast, but they have been playing around with it quite a bit latley, new aero parts for this race (30+) the new engine and he still seems to have problems with the toyota??

it hard to say whats going on, the car should be fast, but they have been playing around with it quite a bit latley, new aero parts for this race (30+) the new engine and he still seems to have problems with the toyota??
You're right, the car should be fast, but quite clearly it's not - hence the need for the new aero parts and continued development on their car. Williams still have numerous aero problems and have a long way to go before they are on level terms with McLaren, Renault, Toyota and Ferrari for outright race pace.

Webber's front row start was a result of great driving and a very light car. If he'd been on a similar fuel load to Raikonnen or Alonso, the best he could have hoped for in qualifying would have been around 6th place. The team would have known this which is why they probably decided to take the gamble on light fuel to get track position. Obviously it didn't work and Webber got stuck behind the Toyota's because they had enough pace on a significantly heavier fuel load to keep him there.

I think Webber's 6th place finish was a very good result considering the inferiority of the Williams at the moment. Webber will show what he's made of when he gets a better car beneath him.

I dont get it Webber last year was hailed as "the next big thing to hit" but jus didnt have the car to win with now he does and the excuses are coming out again???

From the races i've watched It seems he more so tries to fight to hang on to positions rather than fight to take positions from other drivers.???

He has actually exceeded my expectations so far thi year. To say he now has the car to do the job is wishful thinking. The Williams looks to be on the verge of getting enough speed to win a race...but at the moment, thr does not have the pace of the Ferraris, McLaren or Renault..i think its on par with BAR and Toyota though.

should make webbers williams 4WD for launches :wassup: (jokes)

get the sucker moving off the line - problem is the Jaguar wasnt that good off the line either, in fact ive never seen an exceptional start by him :O

well I watched the second half of the race last night. was quite interesting. regarding the start it's a simple as webber starting from the dirty side of the track with a renault on the clean side just behind him, and we all know how well the renaults get away. apparently the williams is actually not the best handling car out there, decent engine but no overall race pace. quite hard on tyres too it seems. I think webber probably did the right thing to let ralf past as ralf has proven time and again to be a menace into turn 1 at just about any race he is near the front (anyone remember ralf on rubens at melbourne '02?). still would have been nice to keep the bastard out. I think the williams strategy has left quite a bit to be desired lately and that's not helping their results. I also think they are masking their pace a little by running light quali fuel loads - trying to make a slow car seem fast, but credit to webber he is still pulling out those times and he is good in quali 1 too when all cars are light. i'm hopefull that with some car improvement and some strategy improvement we will see webber on the podium more than once this year.

Even though he is a fellow UTS Engineering graduate, i think you need to look towards Sam Michaels and the team as well. Its not as simple as pointing the finger at the driver.

My expectation for Williams this season was nothing special...its the 1st time ever Sam Michales has been in this role, you have new engineers working with new drivers, and just as drivers move around, so does the engineering teams, and Williams seemed to lose key personnel at the start of 2004.

As i have said, Williams is going about as well as i expected, but Weber is driving above my expectations, i have more time for him this year then i did previously:)

Be great if Newey returned to Williams, but stron word is that when he leaves McLaren in the near future he is retitiring, and to make sure a rival doesnt pick him up, apparantly he is going to get a retainer from McLaren which means he will be getting paid buckets to do do nothing:)

and dont forget he is 6th in the championship, behind the 2 renults, 2 toyots and kimi so he is not doing that bad, if it wasnt for the crash with fisi in sepang he would be 3rd, so consistent results and development will give a good result for them at the end of the year