SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Oh yes, it's for GTT R34 19" wheels.

Hi, do you know how to improve braking & handling?

When I stop from 100kms to 30kms in short distance, the tail shake left & right and unstable.

Any ways to improve body stable?

Also, what is the best tyres for track racing for 19"?

ANG32

sounds potentially like warped brake discs - get your discs checked

you don't track 19's in a GTT, you can but it's just stupid

good track tyres in 19's are going to be good track tyres in 16's, 17's, 18's.

If anything, get a set of 17's with really good tyres, like some Advan semi slicks, a048's etc... immeasurably better than getting out there on 19's

if you've got the dosh, go 18's with s slicks

my KU36's were fine at sandown, with 287rwkw

• 2 weeks later...

Like a number of other people I am very confused as to what I should buy.

17x8.5 +20 offset.

Street use only. Looking for a tyre that will offer very good wet/dry handling and stopping distance. Something with really good tyre wear.

Max $400 per tyre. Hit me up with a couple of different types please.

Big thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Like a number of other people I am very confused as to what I should buy.

17x8.5 +20 offset.

Street use only. Looking for a tyre that will offer very good wet/dry handling and stopping distance. Something with really good tyre wear.

Max $400 per tyre. Hit me up with a couple of different types please.

Big thanks in advance.

Couple of options

Try Federal 595-SS's or Kumho KU31's depending on the size you want, may even do all 4 for the $400 mark.

With your budget the KU36 Kumho would be more than youd need :thumbsup:

Hey guys,

Any one know the tyre wear rating for the

toyo T1R's?

Also would these 265/35/18 fit on 18X10 +20 offset?

These tyres sound pretty sweet. At the moment I got the Kumho

KU36 which rate about

wet - 6/10

dry - 7/10

price - 7/10

car is a 33 GTR with approx 230kw

The only reason for the change in tyres is when I look for more power I think a better gripping tyre would be wise..

Any other suggestions besides the Bridgestone RE001 or RE-01r's, how did anyone rate the dunlops?

cheers guys

Edited by Sl33pR GTR

What street tyres do you use or have used before for your skyline? and how would u rate their performance & value for $ upon a score of 10? Some comments would be great...

Let me start the ball rolling :

Falken ZE326

Dry : 6.5/10

Wet : 3/10

Value for $ : 3/10

One of the worst tyres I have ever used. Was ok in the dry but had almost no grip in the wet. Terrible tyre for the price I paid. ($200 a piece, 235/45/17)

Bridgestone Potenza S-02

Dry : 8.5/10

Wet : 8.5/10

Value for $ : 8/10

Way better than the Falkens. Fantastic handling in dry & wet conditions. Too bad no longer produced.

hey guys i just baught the new summitomo z3 tyres. they just got rated the number 1 high performance tyre of the year in america... they are a 10/10 i paid $1000 for them with a free wheel allignment. which is pritty good compared too alot of the other brands... I am throughing my car harder and harder into corners and still waiting for it to come unstuck... I would recomend these over any other tyre....!

• 3 weeks later...

running el'cheapo falkens up front and hercules in the rear, neither tyre can really hold up to the rigours of being on a GTR, but do the job of getting me to work everyday.

dry: 4/10

wet/3/10

value: 5/10

When first purchased car it had bridgestone re001's in place and even with minimal tread left, grip levels were still very good in all conditions

re001

dry: 8/10

wet: 7/10

value 9/10

• 1 month later...

Toyo T1R Proxy's

255x40zr17

430 kw r32GTR

Dry 6/10

Wet 5/10

Drag=suck

Smoke production=average to suck lol

Originally had some Yoko's on and they rocked, cant remember the type though, But they performed hard no matter what i threw at them. Couldnt afford to replace them though. Will buy some Dunlop 01's next.

On 10inch rims

Edited by sleepr

• 2 weeks later...

just an update

hit sandown for the first time on ku36. had been on 595RS in the past.

so the 595RS on a coolish day the weekend after the v8 supertaxi's were there

so yesterday it was 35+ deg, the car has more camber on the front, 324mm rotors and rear subframe bushes.

I have to say i was impressed. the grip lasted 2-3 laps, which wasnt as long as the 595RS in the cold weather. but they did a good job

you might have to wait for a cooler day for a more even comparison. then again, better rotors, alignment and bushes.

if you want some, i might be able to get you a set of Toyo Proxes R1Rs (for the price of kus) or for that matter, any tyres cheaper :P

edit: also the 595rs had less power and torque than i have now. difference is 25-35rwkw and 100Nm.

sandown is a power track, so the extra power and torque would have helped. thus the difference to the winton time.

1.39 vs 1.41

on my BNR34 street driven i've had:

275/30/19 all 4 corners.

Bridgestone Potenza

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 7/10

Wear Tear: 5/10

Launching: 8/10

Price: 5/10 very expensive

Yokohama V102

Dry: 7/10

Wet:6/10

Wear Tear: 8/10 i've done about 30000km (including about 14 launches)

Launching: 6/10 tiny bit of spin than grips

Price: 8/10 very good tyres for the price

• 1 month later...
ZE326

Dry: 4/10

Wet: 2/10

Value for $: 5/10

Cheap tyre, you get what you pay for - crap.

Hankook K104

Wet 7/10

Value: 10/10

Great road tyre for the money - around 1200 for a set of 255/35/18

Pirelli p zero nero 9/10 all round they wear well

I was quoted the following for toyo t1r's

235/40/18 - $325 ea

255/40/18 - $365 ea

Im all for safety and whatever but in all honesty i think it might be a little overkill for my daily sub 200kw r33

Any recommendations for for something around the $250 mark or shall i just bite the bullet?

kumho ku36

225/45/17 (mounted on a 9 inch wheel)

Wet: 5/10

Value for $$: 10/10.

paid about 160 squid ea, use them as steer tyres, lasted 2 track days and a shit ton of spirited driving so far, got plenty of life left in them yet, and i cant fault them.

dunlop direzza dz 101

235/45/17 (mounted on a 9 inch wheel)

Wet: 8/10

Value for $$: ??/10

got them basically new on my current set of wheels, decided to keep them instead of using what was left in the ku25's i was using before. very predictable tyre, gives you plenty of if its about to give, they warm up quickly, and provide plenty of grip, will definitely use again.

• 2 weeks later...

Falken ZE326

Dry : 3/10

Wet : 2/10

Value for $ : N/A - came with the car

Scary in the wet, scary in the dry. Don't Know why I tried the Falkens again (below)

Falken FK451

Dry : 9/10 Awesome traction

Wet : 9/10 Awesome traction in pools of water - never driven anything like it in a high powered rear wheel car.

Value for $ : 7/10 - only because they didn't last very long. Very expensive compared to their life!

Ecsta - tyres came with the car

Dry : 8/10 Fantastic traction, hard to tell how good with all wheel drive.

Wet : 8/10 Fantastic traction, hard to tell how good with all wheel drive. No complaints yet.

Value for $ : N/A - came with the car... dunno how much they cost! No complaints yet, and would buy them again at this rate.

Goodyear Revspec RS02 - not worth rating. Unpredictable Overpriced junk. Never buy Goodyear tyres again.

Can anyone help me out here?

Had a bit of a read through here. Was thinking of going Kumho KU31's for my street only 33 gts-t, 270rwhp. Currently got Yokhama advan sports on the back but there about $500+ each and was only looking at spending around $400 mark for each tyre. Only need the rears though for 265/35/18.