SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Did a trackday with these too, nice for a couple of laps then they get pretty hot and slide around alot.

I would suspect that you might not have had the best pressures in them. Try experimenting with them and you should find that they only get better once warmed up.

I currently have 235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my 8 inch fronts, and 235/45/17 Adrenalins on my 9 inch rears. (Both around $225ish a tyre when new)

I did a track day on them last year, at that stage they were around 12 & 18 months old respectively.

I got no delamination at all, Michelins help up extremely well for a street tyre. While the Adrenalins spun a bit out of corners, but I'm putting most of that down to my diff.

I'm looking at doing another track day soon. Currently leaning towards Toyo R888's, 235/45/17 for front, and 255/40/17 for the rears.

I've been quoted around $300 per tyre delivered to Melb by Taleb Tyres.

I also have pricing of around $220 & $250 for similar sizes Falken RT615's, but I think I'd prefer a proper semi-slick, than the "street-semi" kinda tyre.

Regarding street use... I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's all round, although the 17inch PS3's only go up to 245 at the widest. :(

• 2 weeks later...

KUMHO KU21 ECSTA

'All season tyre'

235/40/18 245/40/18 (bit o' stretch)

got recommended to give them a go by my tyre dude as I don't require 2nd gear stand stills/track days every 2 weeks and I'm after a harder compound to last a bit longer.

WET: 6/10

DRY: 6/10

VALUE: 8/10

Pretty quiet ride, they don't warm up much through the hills though (what do you expect) and screech a bit if your hauling ass around twisties.

predictable though, not a bad price. Can't say i like these more than the KU36's i tried previously (handling wise) but fark they were cheaper and will definitely LAST LONGER!

Triangle somethings

Dry 5/10

Wet 0/10

Value 0/10 well i dont wanna die so id say value wise close to 0

They are on a fwd corolla and on the rear tires. Will let go at any speed in the wet. Ridiculously dangerous tires. Tread at 80%.

As far as H/T tyres go:

Achilles Deserthawks H/T 235/50/r18

dry: 7/10

wet: 5/10

value: 9/10

quality: (so far) 9/10

Kumho Solus H/T 215/60/r16

dry: 5/10

wet:3/10

value: 5/10

quality:1/10

Toyo Open Country H/T 215/60/r16

dry: 6/10

wet: 4/10

value: 5/10

quality: 5/10

Using Achilles Deserthawks atm, no complaints. People say they're crappy indo-made tyres, but they are the best H/T tyres I've ever used. Wearing slowly, good grip, fairly cheap, pretty quiet on the street! I know a few guys who have used them on drifters and racers, and they have no complaints either.

Edited by Pork Hunt

Triangle somethings

Dry 5/10

Wet 0/10

Value 0/10 well i dont wanna die so id say value wise close to 0

They are on a fwd corolla and on the rear tires. Will let go at any speed in the wet. Ridiculously dangerous tires. Tread at 80%.

I had these on my last 32 was the biggest mistake i ever made the car would let go at any time ESPECIALLY in the wet tread was new and my mate drove the car in the wet ended up in a tree after we aqua planed i got out ok few stiches and scares but my mate is alot worse off has broken near every bone in his body and cant work for the rest of his life.

Please i urge people to never buy these tyres!

• 2 weeks later...

Michelin Pilot Precedas 245/40/18

Cost: $450/cnr I think

Lasted 24 months/15,000 kms. No track work.

Street tyre rating

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 7/10

Value: 7/10

Getting Michelin Pilot PS2s 265/35/18s for about same price delivered from Tire-Rack. Should be a step up in terms of dry performance. PS2s seem to be consistently one of, if not THE most highly rated tyre online for dry performance from a street tyre.

sumitomo htr z11 215x40x17 between 200 -250bucks each

dry 9/10

wet 8/10 (excellent anti-aquaplaning)

longevity-awesome

replaced by z111's

firestone firehawk 245x45x17 $200

dry 7,5/10

wet 7/10 (noticeably not as good)

longevity/wear-one year on as daily,awesome

great value street tyre,only 'found out' when really testing them.no good for track.

bridgestone slicks that came with car,awesome on dry,wet, ok.re somethings...o55's?

Edited by GT ARRRGH

• 1 month later...

Toyo Proxes R1R 265/35x18 ($$ unknown - depends where you buy obviously)

dry 10/10

wet 8/10

longevity-a lot better than i expected

In 2wd w/ 500hp just starts to spin 2nd at high revs.

4wd launching is unbelievable.

Extremely good in the wet, braking and acceleration wise.

Dropped a few skids here and there and expected to cry when i saw them. Barely wearing - very surprised.

Toyo Proxes R1R 265/35x18 ($ unknown - depends where you buy obviously)

dry 10/10

wet 8/10

longevity-a lot better than i expected

In 2wd w/ 500hp just starts to spin 2nd at high revs.

4wd launching is unbelievable.

Extremely good in the wet, braking and acceleration wise.

Dropped a few skids here and there and expected to cry when i saw them. Barely wearing - very surprised.

Thumbs up for proxesthumbsup.gif , best tyres i have ever had .

I've just got 4 x Toyo Proxes T1 Sport (i think this replaced the R1R) 235/45x17.

I'll find out this weekend how they rate at DECA.

Has anyone else used/got these?

sumitomo htr z11 215x40x17 between 200 -250bucks each

dry 9/10

wet 8/10 (excellent anti-aquaplaning)

longevity-awesome

replaced by z111's

I've had both Z2 and Z3 on my car, both new 1 day apart. I can tell you the Z3 is a MUCH better tyre than the Z2. And for barely more money, like $30 each. I paid $250 per tyre for the Z3, 235/40/18. If the Pilot Sport 2 was <$300 I'd consider it.

I've just got 4 x Toyo Proxes T1 Sport (i think this replaced the R1R) 235/45x17.

I'll find out this weekend how they rate at DECA.

Has anyone else used/got these?

I don't think so?!?! Replacing the T1-S.

T1-Sport is a KU31 like tire (or the KU31 is a T1-S like tire...either way, hankook evo etc etc). So good overall life and grip on the road. Ok for light track days, 2-4 seconds a lap slower than R1-R.

R1-R is a KU36 / 595RSR / AD08 like tire. Fantastic dry grip on the road, standard wet grip on the road. Will wear faster than T1-Sport, but super grippy on the track. Harder sidewalls for better cornering, compound built to last with heat.

Generally lower means softer, means faster on the track, means more wear on the road. so 10-15,000km instead of 15-25,000km.

T1-Sport

UTQG = 240

R1-R

UTQG = 140

I don't think so?!?! Replacing the T1-S.

T1-Sport is a KU31 like tire (or the KU31 is a T1-S like tire...either way, hankook evo etc etc). So good overall life and grip on the road. Ok for light track days, 2-4 seconds a lap slower than R1-R.

R1-R is a KU36 / 595RSR / AD08 like tire. Fantastic dry grip on the road, standard wet grip on the road. Will wear faster than T1-Sport, but super grippy on the track. Harder sidewalls for better cornering, compound built to last with heat.

Generally lower means softer, means faster on the track, means more wear on the road. so 10-15,000km instead of 15-25,000km.

T1-Sport

UTQG = 240

R1-R

UTQG = 140

I knew I should've called you before tyre shopping!

• 1 month later...

Federal 595 SS 235/40/18

Dry 9/10

Wet 7/10

Very good tyres, looses traction well unlike my previous tyres which were unpredictable. Wet grip is very good, was quite surprised.

Not sure if there good enough for the track but I'm gonna give them a go at deca.

Feddys 595SS = 9/10??? You gotta be kidding... I've used them before and they are nothing like what you said, brought it to skid pan, even worse, under heavy braking would lock up in DRY! After warming up, have next to no grip

Kumho KU31 215/40, 235/40

Dry: 7 / 10

Wet: 6 / 10

Value: 8 / 10

Not the best street tyres out there but they provide decent grip when they are new, my car probably have about 180rwkw, however once they wear down to less than 50%, dry and wet grip goes out the window and loses traction very easily

Will try Dunlop Z1 star spec next

Feddys 595SS = 9/10??? You gotta be kidding... I've used them before and they are nothing like what you said, brought it to skid pan, even worse, under heavy braking would lock up in DRY! After warming up, have next to no grip

Kumho KU31 215/40, 235/40

Dry: 7 / 10

Wet: 6 / 10

Value: 8 / 10

Not the best street tyres out there but they provide decent grip when they are new, my car probably have about 180rwkw, however once they wear down to less than 50%, dry and wet grip goes out the window and loses traction very easily

Will try Dunlop Z1 star spec next

Just because they lock up doesnt make them crap tyres. Plus on a skid pan there is less grip then the street, I was surprised how crap the grip was at last deca on the skid pan and the wang.

I did brake tests with these tyres and even in semi wet conditions they were really good. There not the evo 595s which are the cheaper ones, maybe you were thinking of them?

I've had ku36's before and on the street there is not much difference between them and the 595 ss, different story for the track but Im scoring them for street use only.

If you consider a ku31 a 7/10 a 595 ss is easy better then a ku31, i had them on my aw11 and they wernt that great.

Hi guys,

how much roughly for a set of Toyo Proxes R1R 275/35x18??

Needing to look at tread pretty soon, car will be doing some track days.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...