SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

235/45-17 were 320ea fitted 14 months ago. It hurt, but not what I would call eye watering. And I could certainly not get RS4s for half that, even had I wanted to go back to them and their painful road noise in the last 50% of tread depth.

5 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

So I've had the RS4's on for about 2,000km now. I really love them, they are "pull the painted surface off the cement" levels of sticky. 

Small problem though, I'm going through them at a rate of 1mm of tread depth per 1,000km. This is the same wear rate I was getting with the 120 treadwear NS2R tyres (however I like the RS4 more then the NS2R). 

I'm looking for recommendations. I don't know if this tyre exists, ideally I'd like 15,000 to 20,000km from the tyre (keeping in mind RS4 is on track to give me about 8,000km) while still having acceptable levels of grip. I don't expect to be able to hook up 350kw and still get this mileage, really what I'd like is to have similar levels of turn in/responsive steering input when compared with the RS4. 

I'm kinda thinking maybe I should try something like Pilot Sport 5? Dunno. 17 inch rims also limits the choices a bit too. 

RIP paint.jpg

I recently got 15,000km from my RS4's! And got a new set recently. By recently, it... was just over a year ago now. Shut up, I have reasons as to why these tyres are still near new.

Anyway with regards to the previous ones, pressure them up. Drive them around gently on the street at ~36 psi and they do tend to last longer. I don't know how many track days I had them for, I want to say a couple but obviously that varies a significant amount for a lot of variables.

A friend got 35,000-40,000KM out of his AD08R (!??!?!?!) and his tip was to raise the pressures on them for road driving which helped in my case, but obviously the other big factor is driving with the fuel economy mindset of someone who runs higher pressures in your tyres too.

I have RS4's on the commodore, around 15k Km on them and they still have plenty of tread

In saying this my alignment settings are purely street and the car mainly sees Hwy cruising (Bogan Cruise Ship)

I have run RS4's on heaps of my cars and rate the highly for value for money IRT grip and life

I wanted RS4's for the MX5, but, the sizing I wanted wasn't available when I needed them, so I got Pilot Sport 5's

I feel the PS5's are quieter and better in the wet and cold than RS4's, but the RS4's win in the dry, as expected from a tyre with a lower tread wear

7 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

235/45-17 were 320ea

That looks like a really good price. I didn't call around, so I was relying on this for pricing - 

https://www.beaurepaires.com.au/tyres/yokohama/yokohama-advan-neova-ad09

1 hour ago, The Bogan said:

I got Pilot Sport 5's

Have you put many K's on them? Any chance you'd be able to estimate how many K's you'll get out of them? 

7 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

driving with the fuel economy mindset

I suppose this is the big difference, if I'm taking the skyline out it's for a fun drive and fuel economy / preserving the tyres are not really front of mind lol. I had read so much on other forums as well where people were saying how long lasting the RS4's were on track that I think my expectations were probably just set to high. 

3 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

That looks like a really good price. I didn't call around, so I was relying on this for pricing - 

https://www.beaurepaires.com.au/tyres/yokohama/yokohama-advan-neova-ad09

Have you put many K's on them? Any chance you'd be able to estimate how many K's you'll get out of them? 

I suppose this is the big difference, if I'm taking the skyline out it's for a fun drive and fuel economy / preserving the tyres are not really front of mind lol. I had read so much on other forums as well where people were saying how long lasting the RS4's were on track that I think my expectations were probably just set to high. 

Only about 500 km on them at this stage with an unknown alignment, it is getting an alignment over the next day or so after fitting some new suspension, I'll see how it feels and wears over the next few thousand km

Recommended for NC with street rubber:

Front

Caster: 5.0°

Camber: -1.0°

Total Toe-in: 1.5mm

Rear

Camber: -1.5°

Total Toe-in: 1.5mm