SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

• 2 weeks later...

Or import them yourself, Aussie distributors will say all sorts of bull so they can charge twice the price of imported tyres, try looking at www.tirerack.com, $150 for tyres that they try and charge $450 for in AU.

My money goes overseas when the saving including delivery is nearly half price

Or import them yourself, Aussie distributors will say all sorts of bull so they can charge twice the price of imported tyres, try looking at www.tirerack.com, $150 for tyres that they try and charge $450 for in AU.

My money goes overseas when the saving including delivery is nearly half price

As someone who works for an Australian tyre importer/distributor this is disappointing to hear... You are right on the pricing diferentiations between countries and sometimes the parity seems hard to believe but you need to realise before making these types of statements that there are additional importing and distribution costs such as import duty, freight, currency factors, financing costs, distribution costs, fitting costs, that does start to add up. In addition, your local retailer or distributor cannot compete with a one off importer who doesnt keep regular inventory, maintain equipment or pay staff to provide service to their customers.

Also as the importer of any tyres directly into Australia you are deemed the manufacturer from an importing and insurance perspective and as such are not covered by any local insurance policy given any tyre issues. This is an additional cost that all Australian tyre importers, distributors and retailers cover every year.

I have yet to hear about " insurance problems", in any case I could import 8 tyres for the price of 4 sold in AU, sorry but my money goes to who can do me the best deal.

Also the company they are from is a large company with staff and equipment and storage and importing fees, why can they sell new stock for so low when AU cannot.

I have yet to hear about " insurance problems", in any case I could import 8 tyres for the price of 4 sold in AU, sorry but my money goes to who can do me the best deal.

Also the company they are from is a large company with staff and equipment and storage and importing fees, why can they sell new stock for so low when AU cannot.

Obviously it's your call as to which tyres or "tires" you purchase and have fitted to your car... All I am saying is that Australian importer/distributors have costs associated with bringing these products into the country and supporting the product through the tread life of the tyres at many levels, such as:

- Manufacturers warranty

- Product and public liability cover

- Staff and representation

- Logistics/freight

- Marketing and advertising

- Inventory and warehousing

- Importing fees and duty

- Retail costs such as fitting and balancing

Then there are the differences in currency which become very complicated as world markets rise and fall, tyre manufacturers deal in different currencies which have to be bought and traded so this includes financial fees as well.

There is no simple answer as to why it is cheaper to import your own tyres, and making statements such as "Aussie distributors will say all sorts of bull so they can charge twice the price of imported tyres" is simply untrue and ill-advised... The company that I work for has been in operation for over 56 years and has a customer base in excess of a thousand stores, do you think they got to where they are now by just "telling people all sorts of bull so they can charge twice the price of imported tyres"?

As I said, it's your call but when you buy local your money stays in Australia instead of going off-shore to help boost another country's economy... You'll also be supporting a large industry with many Australian jobs involved.

Just something to think about.

Australian large industry hey, so the tyres you sell are Australian made then ?

http://www.federaltire.com/en/html/corp.php

Australian large industry imports most of the things they sell, and then sell on for a huge profit because Joe Public will drive to a shop and pay what they are told to, Australian industry was/is trying to ban people from importing.

"Aussie distributors will say all sorts of bull so they can charge twice the price of imported tyres" like saying you are not doing the right thing by buying from OS.

Im all for buying Australian made if its the same quality and value, you would be a fool not to.

Australian large industry hey, so the tyres you sell are Australian made then ?

That's not what I said.

I said "a large industry with many Australian jobs" and of course I know how importing works, I have been working for an importing company for many years, I don't really need it explained for me thanks.

I'm not going to continue arguing, it doesn't matter to me which tyres you choose or where you get them from. I was simply trying to point out that your statement was incorrect and that there are many other reasons (not simply profits) that drive consumer pricing in Australia.

That's not what I said.

I said "a large industry with many Australian jobs" and of course I know how importing works, I have been working for an importing company for many years, I don't really need it explained for me thanks.

I'm not going to continue arguing, it doesn't matter to me which tyres you choose or where you get them from. I was simply trying to point out that your statement was incorrect and that there are many other reasons (not simply profits) that drive consumer pricing in Australia.

sure. you are in order

That's not what I said.

My statement was NOT incorrect, you just dont agree with it, in the end it doesnt matter what you or I say, its how smart the consumer is, and in "my opinion" the more "middle men" you can cut out the better.

Happy shopping.

SHOP SMART, SHOP S-MART

where abouts did you get the rt615's for that price? looking for a set for my gtr but cant seem to find them at a decent price in 265 35 18.

do they need to be warm to grip?

cheers

went with rt615, set for $808, 255x40 for 18x10 rims

can anyone reccomend a good priced set of semi slicks 265 35 18 for my gtr.

the car does mainly road kms, but not many, 7000km since i bought it nearly 2 years ago, and a the odd visit to the strip, and looking into a track day.

want something that will give me good grip on the road and on the strip, that i can drive on everyday. just not getting the grip off the line with my current tyres, and the sidewalls are like jelly at speed, (cheapies) get what u pay for i guess

was looking into the falken rt615, then also looking into toyo 888 and nitto's, but not sure if i want to spend the money on something that will wear so quickly.

try not to drive in the wet so not a big factor for me.

any advice would be good,

cheers

Obviously it's your call as to which tyres or "tires" you purchase and have fitted to your car...

Actually, as we are in Australia and British English is our official language, it's "tyres".

I've got Federal 595ss on the Stag and although I've only done about 600ks on them, I have to say they have performed extremely well. (most of those 600ks have been medium to hard street driving)

They just seem to grip for ever. It's very hard to get them to break traction.

I've got probably 180ish rwkw (when I choose to play in rear wheel drive mode) and they hold on with no issue even if I don't want them too.

The wet performance is equally as good if not better. Possibly the best wet weather tyre I've ever used on any car.

Dry performance 8/10

Wet performance 9/10

Noise 6/10

Wear - NFI

No idea about their track performance.

can anyone reccomend a good priced set of semi slicks 265 35 18 for my gtr.

the car does mainly road kms, but not many, 7000km since i bought it nearly 2 years ago, and a the odd visit to the strip, and looking into a track day.

want something that will give me good grip on the road and on the strip, that i can drive on everyday. just not getting the grip off the line with my current tyres, and the sidewalls are like jelly at speed, (cheapies) get what u pay for i guess

was looking into the falken rt615, then also looking into toyo 888 and nitto's, but not sure if i want to spend the money on something that will wear so quickly.

try not to drive in the wet so not a big factor for me.

any advice would be good,

cheers

Excellent tyre is the new Hankook Ventus RS-3 ,

track results on this tyre speak for themselves , also a good street tyre .

on my 2nd set of federal 595SS in 225/35/18 .. been happy enough with them. They are excellent in cutting through the water in wet weather, and do pretty well in the dry.

Only problem is I bought them cheap from an online store (member of this forum) and one of the 4 they sent made a loud clicking noise when driving about 70km/h ... so i purchased a pair of Nankangs for real cheap 2nd hand to replace the dodgey tyre, and well... the nankangs are terrible.

Edited by Wogan