SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

on my 2nd set of federal 595SS in 225/35/18 .. been happy enough with them. They are excellent in cutting through the water in wet weather, and do pretty well in the dry.

Only problem is I bought them cheap from an online store (member of this forum) and one of the 4 they sent made a loud clicking noise when driving about 70km/h ... so i purchased a pair of Nankangs for real cheap 2nd hand to replace the dodgey tyre, and well... the nankangs are terrible.

urgh nankangs *shudders*, bad wet weather memories

Michellen pilot sport 3

Got them about 4 months ago and they are great. Very very grippy in the dry and just as good in the wet. Very comfortable and not much road noise.

Dry 7/10

Wet 8/10

Would get a set off these tyres again

IMO the KU31 just edge out the SS595 in performance. Had both on my cars.

Currently running KU31 all round on the GT-R. Very good tyre with lots of grip for the road.

KU31 255/35/18 @ $180 each from Tempe

Dry 8/10

Wet 8/10

SS 595 215/45/17 @ $130 from Tyrepower

Dry 7.5/10

Wet 7/10

Please note the sidewall difference. I run 38psi cold on all tyres.

Also had a pair of KU31s 205/55/16 running on my old R32 GTS-t, they were very good.

Hard going past KU31 for price vs. performance. I also heard that KU31 and KU36 use the same compound.

• 1 month later...

New Skyline owner here, would appreciate some advice for my first spend on tyres, have a stock R32, I've only recently purchased the vehicle so my budget is very modest, is there a decent cheap tyre with good tread wear and is OK in the wet?

And what are some to avoid.

Would like 205 55 16

Regards

Mike.

Stay the f**k away from Forceum tyres. They grip ok in the dry, never tried anything to test them in the wet. They have been in my street car, have lasted no more than 10000km. I have not done any track work, not a single burn out, just some throttle. Nothing to severely break traction and wear tires. Theres hardly anything left on them. Less than a year. Utter rubbish. I had Kuhmo Ku31's which I actually gave a hard time to and out lasted these tires by a long shot.

Now I need 4 new tires, in the same year.

why did you go from ku31 to forceum? Lol

call me crazy but i just put on 235/40/18 federal 595ss to replace my 1.5yr toyo proxes 4 and i am actually very suprised with both dry & wet grip.

feels much more stable then the proxes ever did in the wet and dry grip feels about the same. it handles pretty darn good.

i tracked with the proxes at wakefield and they weren't too bad for around 3-4 laps before having to let them cool so will be interesting to see how the feddys go.

Federal 595SS 235/40/18

Dry: 7.5/10

Wet: 6.5/10

Price: $135ea fitted & balanced @ tyres for less, Fairfield NSW

overall, not a bad tyre for $135 a pop fitted & balanced, the proxes 4 cost me $220 fitted & balanaced so i can definitely say these tyres are a good choice for the budget minded.

Will try the kumhos KU31 when these wear out so will be interesting to see how they par up.

The KU31's were on my old skyline which got sold off with the rims when my car got written off. New car came with no name tires so I wanted to get the same ku31's and needed them urgently but no one had the stock at the time so ended up going with these as I was told "they are just as good as" the ku31's... Utter rubbish. Its like driving on tires made of ice, they wear from nothing.

Ive got some old Continental tires up front, like f**ken 2003 production date and they outlasted these 2010 forceum tires.

I got the forceum from HPR at fairfield.

These Ventus V12 tires look good.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110&frontTire=345YR7K110XL&rearTire=54YR7K110XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Nissan&autoYear=1996&autoModel=300ZX%20Turbo&autoModClar=

Damn thats a nice price. Ill see how much they cost local(also in Sydney) and buy from overseas if necessary. My brother gets all his tires from overseas for his rotor.

Edited by SargeRX8

I just got 4 new tires. 255 40 17 595SS's on the back and Maxxis MA-V1 on the front in 235 45 17. All up was 520 for 4 corners fitted and balanced.

Can't rate them yet but they feel nice and smooth, not much noise. I gave them a pretty sharp turn and they stuck nicely. I gave the car a squirt and they did break traction which was odd, considering my old ones would slightly but were also smaller than these and a shit brand... Shall be interesting.

Edited by SargeRX8

Hey guys

Can anyone give me an idea how long Federal 595 RS-R's last for, I know the treadwear is only 140 but if someone can give me an idea on how many K's they got out of them that would be great.

Cheers

I just got 4 new tires. 255 40 17 595SS's on the back and Maxxis MA-V1 on the front in 235 45 17. All up was 520 for 4 corners fitted and balanced.

Can't rate them yet but they feel nice and smooth, not much noise. I gave them a pretty sharp turn and they stuck nicely. I gave the car a squirt and they did break traction which was odd, considering my old ones would slightly but were also smaller than these and a shit brand... Shall be interesting.

feds need a wear in and warm up time to get optimum grip

Another vote for Kumho Ecsta KU31's.

I have had them on my ECR33 in 225/45R17 with a slight stretch on a 9" rim.

Run them on two track days- one at Marulan (Wet track) and one at Wakefield (dry track) I was thoroughly impressed with these tyres, especially given that they are a true, basic street tyre and only cost $150 per corner!!

Wet grip at Marulan was truly impressive. They did start to get a bit hot at Wakefield and suffered accordingly.

On the road they are quiet and seem to be wearing very well (Hard to tell as its a weekend car)

In all likelihood I am going to upgrade to a semi-slick for the next track outing, but would not hesitate to run with these again!

Overall, great value for money IMHO.

KU31 are not quiet at all, both me and my mate had them and changed from it, they are very noisy, especially when it's near the indicator...

Adrenalin RE002 235/40/18

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 8/10

Price: $350ea fitted & balanced @ Tyre Power

As above, had KU31 before and these re002 were HEAPS more quiet. I had them stretch to 10" rims and can tell the sidewalls are noticably more stiff compared to the KU31, had heaps of grip accelerating and braking. Haven't had the chance to try this on the wet yet but keen!

Can't wait to try the Z1 star spec next after i finish this set

Edited by ichi-go