SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

TOYO R888 Semi slicks if your that way inclined lol

Or Toyo T1R's and GoodYear Eagle F1's

Hands down... F1 is a old tyre but over the many years has proved its worth as one of the best. Last I heard they were stopping production of the F1.

Dunlop Direzza are pretty good aswell but apparently wears pretty quick

Ive had the F1's coming off the rim almost before loosing traction on the corners. nothing better i recon :D

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

Can anyone give me an idea how long Federal 595 RS-R's last for, I know the treadwear is only 140 but if someone can give me an idea on how many K's they got out of them that would be great.

Cheers

Managed to get 20kkm out of my set, but It's all got to do with keeping pressures right, alignment, roads you drive on and how hard you drive.

Looking at using these Mark. What are they like for wet weather grip and road noise?

Any idea on wear yet?

if you can, get them from tirerack.com

priced up a set of 255/4017s there for 128each + postage. or nearly $300 here in Aus

Looking at using these Mark. What are they like for wet weather grip and road noise?

Any idea on wear yet?

About 5 /10 in the wet , very quiet tyre as far as road noise !

i think these tyres will wear quicker as they are soft .

i bought my set from an owner who drove an Evo in the world time attack ,

but like i said they are AMAZING in the dry !!!!!!

Edited by NISSAN GTR

had yokohama advans i like them

7/10

at moment toyo proxy i like them to

to soon to rate ,had them for about month

but up till now

8/10

advans cost me approx 450 a pce

proxys cost me approx 400 a pce

Federal 595

Got em cause i couldn't pay 400ish dollars for my rear tyres (265/35/18) and the 595 was the only type that cam in my size :P Came in at 190 each although i am a mechanic and we got our friend down the road to buy them and i fitted them, not sure if he only charged me cost.

7/10 dry......to begin with i thought they were crap but it actually takes a little bit of trust and a bit heavier foot before they come good

6/10 wet......i have had better tyres in the wet (RE001's that somehow managed to stop my old s13 sliding when ever it felt the urge to, even in the wet) but for the price i didn't think they turned out too bad

Bridgestone potenza RE001

Like i said had them on my s13 which if anyone has ever owned one, the ass of that car has a mind of its own. Somehow managed to grip well in any situation or weather, and i am very disappointed they discontinued them :(

Got them for 115 each at cost from a mate at kmart tyre....they were only 15's though. Best value ever

Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico in 265/35/18

Pretty much giving them 10/10 all round apart from price i paid $1500 for a set and that was trade price.

Great grip in wet or dry, when they do let go it's slow/progressive not a sudden snap and you are slidding like some tyres.

Low road noise and give a far better ride than the cheap chinese tyres i had on before.

I have had higger end Dunlop and Falken tyres on my cars at half the price and i dont think i would go to them after the PZero's back unless i was broke.

The gtr is now rolling on 19's. Neta talked me in to trying the new 595 rpm in 285 x19 x 30 and boy am I glad they did.

This tyre was developed to take on the high end market with ferarri firmly in their sights according to the info I was given. They tried with the rsr but it is too hardcore for a lot of the genteel folk that buy at that end of the market. (noisy tram tracking sunnofabitch that sticks like shit to a blanket)

The 595 rpm is whisper quiet and even in the 285 there is zero tram tracking.

The tread pattern is amazing, it looks like about 4 tyres in one with some impressive water channels to boot.

Hardness rating is a low 160, the same as the original RSR and only 20 points harder than the new.

Pricing falls in between the 595 ss and the rsr with performance far closer to the rsr than the ss and in some areas such as directional stability, noise and wet road it is superior.

Early days but I am keen to put some more kays on these puppys, I will add more as I up the anti.

Hankook Ventus R-S3, 255/40 17, freshly scrubbed in, very preditable in the dry, dry grip is very good to excellent, wear rating is 140, wet is also very good, you can feel it squirm before it actually starts to understeer.

Would buy again. $130 a peice from tirerack. $750 for 4 delivered to my door.

Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico in 265/35/18

Pretty much giving them 10/10 all round apart from price i paid $1500 for a set and that was trade price.

Great grip in wet or dry, when they do let go it's slow/progressive not a sudden snap and you are slidding like some tyres.

Low road noise and give a far better ride than the cheap chinese tyres i had on before.

I have had higger end Dunlop and Falken tyres on my cars at half the price and i dont think i would go to them after the PZero's back unless i was broke.

Man 1500 for PZero's!! My Falken 452's were $1800 a set 19' tho. and ive never gone below the $350 per tyre for F1's, T1r's and RE001's thats the general price for them at least!

Ive heard good things from the PZero Semi's but this would be the first for normal road ones. The Ferrari that parks next to me has them, tbh they dont look like a very grippy tire and quite a messy tread pattern,.

Would be interesting to see a comparison on a WTA car.

Falken RT615

Not a bad road tyre for the money. Pretty good in the dry and not bad in the wet (if you drive accordingly). (240rwkw)

They need to get a bit of heat in them before you start 'pushing it', because they are 'very ordinary' when they're cold.

Overall I'd give them a 7 out of 10. A reasonable grip tyre at a reasonable price.

Toyo R1R

These appear to be a step up from the Falkens as a road tyre. They are definately stickier in the dry as they have not let go yet (270rwkw)

Have not tried them in the wet yet, but would imagine they'd probably have the edge on the RT615's again.

You probably get what you pay for with the Toyos as they are more expensive than the Falkens. The wear on the Toyos would be more rapid but that's the price you pay for the extra grip.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yo guys, I'm looking for a pair of new tyres.

My front alignment is pretty screwed atm, and so the resulting wear on the tyres aren't too good :/. So essentially after a pair of new fronts (and then wheel alignment+balance).

First Q: Is it worth swapping the rears (fairly even wear, I think) to the front; and putting the new tyres at the rear? Or really won't matter, just chuck the new ones on the front?

Second Q: The tyres themselves. Thinking Kumho KU31's or Federal 595's are the way to go, from what I've read. (Note car is an NA R34... so very very far from any huge power figures LOL - so I hardly need the best tyres, but driving in the wet is still a drain atm, etc. So budget wise, <= $150ea is ideal haha). Tempe Tyres have 225/45/17 KU31's for $150 (+ Free shipping til 29/04) - is this a good price? I think the 595's are meant to be a bit cheaper but I don't think Tempe stock them...

So any local-ish places I can check out as well? I'm located in SE Melb.

Oh, and some other mates need new tyres as well, (I think they're mostly wanting KU31's as well) - so if there's group discounts to be had as well, always nice! I think we need like 12 tyres all up or something :)

Cheers for any help guys!

Edited by kaitoukid

Yokahama ADVAN Neova AD08

235/45/17 Front

255/40/17 Rear

Dry Grip: Excellent

Wet Grip: Dunno Yet

By far the best tyres I have had, pretty good when cold. Fantastic when warm.

Running with ~280rwkw and so far have not lost traction once evn with hard driving (although maybe Im not trying hard enough) :)

Would not suggest using them on a dyno though, cost me ~30rwkw, I would never have thought they would effect readings that dramatically. Changed over to some stock rims/tyres and readings jumped straight back up to 280.

They are still very new so cannot comment on wear, so far very happy with them. Will test them at texi next month.

• 2 weeks later...

235/45/17 Front

255/40/17 Rear

Running with ~280rwkw and so far have not lost traction once evn with hard driving (although maybe Im not trying hard enough) :)

Would not suggest using them on a dyno though, cost me ~30rwkw, I would never have thought they would effect readings that dramatically. Changed over to some stock rims/tyres and readings jumped straight back up to 280.

They are still very new so cannot comment on wear, so far very happy with them. Will test them at texi next month.

hey, just interested in this as it sounds too good to be true...

So are you saying you cant get these to break traction even in 1st gear ( in straight line acceleration) with 280kwatw??

interesting loss of power on the dyno. U sure they were pumped up properly? 30kw sounds like alot....

235/45/17 Front

255/40/17 Rear

Didnt look that grippy in a certain video ive seen recently :whistling:

i might give the 595RSR's a crack as they are cheap!

Yeah need to clarify that,

They will break traction when cold or if you push them. But once warm they are very very grippy.

As with the dyno figure, pressures were perfect ( 2 day old tyres) they actually became quite tacky after a few runs and you could kind of dig your finger into them.

As with the video Matt, yes I got them to break traction but it was a Canberra morning and the tyres were stone cold :) plus that was around 5k launch.

You can see after I grabbed 2nd they didnt take long to hook up.

Maybe my original post was a little optimistic due to lack of proper driving time on them but I still say they are a dam good tire and would recommend them to anyone who wants grippy street rubber that can more than handle track work.

Yeah need to clarify that,

They will break traction when cold or if you push them. But once warm they are very very grippy.

As with the dyno figure, pressures were perfect ( 2 day old tyres) they actually became quite tacky after a few runs and you could kind of dig your finger into them.

As with the video Matt, yes I got them to break traction but it was a Canberra morning and the tyres were stone cold :) plus that was around 5k launch.

You can see after I grabbed 2nd they didnt take long to hook up.

Maybe my original post was a little optimistic due to lack of proper driving time on them but I still say they are a dam good tire and would recommend them to anyone who wants grippy street rubber that can more than handle track work.

Hey Dave, now that you've had them for a while, have you had a chance to drive on them in the wet? I'm pretty interested to find out how good they are in the wet, as I really need an 'all round' tyre.