SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Sorry Ryan haven't looked in here for a while.

I've been driving the 33 all this week due to my daily getting smashed into by a P plater :( and it started raining this arvo and so far seems good in the wet. I haven't pushed them yet on a wet road but I'll post back up in a few days as I think there is rain forecast tonight.

At traffic speeds with 2 little squirts they seem to holding better than my falken rt's which were a little scary sometimes on a wet road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm no good about the daily Dave, but at least youve got to use the 33 :D

So.... Gotta get some steer tyres for now, does anyone use the Achilles 123S and if so how does it compare to a Kuhmo KU36/Federal RSR? They are all cheap, but the Achillies are silly cheap..... Whatever i run will be the daily tyres and i want them grippy, ill run a second set of wheels for Texi days etc..... But keen to hear any actual feedback from these tyres on Skylines.....

i googled it and found a few reviews that said they were crap in rain, but the other tyres seem to say the same?

Federal 595

Got em cause i couldn't pay 400ish dollars for my rear tyres (265/35/18) and the 595 was the only type that cam in my size tongue.gif Came in at 190 each although i am a mechanic and we got our friend down the road to buy them and i fitted them, not sure if he only charged me cost.

7/10 dry......to begin with i thought they were crap but it actually takes a little bit of trust and a bit heavier foot before they come good

6/10 wet......i have had better tyres in the wet (RE001's that somehow managed to stop my old s13 sliding when ever it felt the urge to, even in the wet) but for the price i didn't think they turned out too bad

Bridgestone potenza RE001

Like i said had them on my s13 which if anyone has ever owned one, the ass of that car has a mind of its own. Somehow managed to grip well in any situation or weather, and i am very disappointed they discontinued them sad.gif

Got them for 115 each at cost from a mate at kmart tyre....they were only 15's though. Best value ever

i had the re001 on my R33 NA, Never had an issue with them, And they were running 15's hahah.

done 20k on them and still looking good.

Anyone run 18x8 +30 offset?

stock specs say Tire: 245/45-18; 265/35-18

ive looked around and cant find out what the differnace in numbers is and if they are my only options....

Also Trietrack dont seel Fedrals? or am i missing something.

Wated rsr's not sure what to go with now. Ku36s i was lookig at but they must use diff name, They call it the ecsta??

can anyone confirm please

RSR's are the cheaper option at the moment and will be what i run with UNLESS i can get some feedback on the Achillies 123s tyres that seem to be cheaper again and have a few ratings saying they are a direct comparsion to the RSR and KU36, i have the KU36 and have been happy with them, but 2 years sitting around has allowed them to go rock hard :/

If you want rsr's get in touch with damo at racing ready, he got them going at a good price at the moment!

Also for 18x8 rims you probably need nothing bigger than a 235/40 18.

Edited by Mitcho_7

as for size i was going to go with the stock factory specs reccomended, Just not sure what the diffracne is. Side wall size? low profile ect. 235 is not reccomened so not sure if ok

If you want rsr's get in touch with damo at racing ready, he got them going at a good price at the moment!

Also for 18x8 rims you probably need nothing bigger than a 235/40 18.

SAU NSW members get them pretty cheap too, not sure how it compares with Racing Ready but pricing was good!

as for size i was going to go with the stock factory specs reccomended, Just not sure what the diffracne is. Side wall size? low profile ect. 235 is not reccomened so not sure if ok

You can put whatever width tyre you want on your rims. For 8" rims I dont think you would want to go any wider than 235, you can choose whatever profile you want.

I didn't read all 56 pages.. but I thought I add my comments. Just changed all 4 corners to 245/30 R20 and 275/30 R20 Achilles ATR Sport. $215 for the 275 tyres and I'm pretty happy with the tyres. Mind you I haven't had the "dough" to throw into 20" F1 Goodyears, which I always put on my partner's Subby (17" btw..) but I've got my confidence back with my 03 V35. Had cheapie Chinese Crap on it before, slipped everywhere even going slow!! Again, not a good comparison between 17" & 20" but .. dry brake, cornering close to F1s. Wet braking not so good.. maybe 7/10? compared to F1s. I would buy the ATR Sport tyres again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bridgestone er300 225/45/17 stretched over 9 inch rim. Grip dry: 5/10. Grip wet: 2/10. Cost: 11/10 got them for free, good skid tyres, designed for comfort I.e. my mums accord euro came stock with them, run Bridgestone re002's on the front 215/45/17 on 8 inch rim. grip dry: 10/10 grip wet 8/10 ( depends on suspension setup) cost: pretty pricey and they don't last too long. Put them on my mums accord euro and it's a completely different car if that helps those looking for tyres for dailies etc, two birds with one stone

• 3 weeks later...

Pirelli p-zero 235/45/17.

Dry so far 9/10, wet - not sure yet, doest rain where I live.

They hold 260 rwkw when warm in second. almost 1st, with 4.36 diff.

Would highly recommend, will return with more after track

Recently put a set of Kumho KU31's on. Very happy. Good in the dry and the wet. A little noisy in the dry when cornering. Nothing to serious though.

10/10 bang for buck. $125 each from Tempe Tyres.

I've only ever run Yokohama tyres on my imports

A048 on my 470rwkw R33 GTR and the same on my 260rwkw S15

On my Evo 7 I switched to AD08's, unbelievable tyre, car came with some cheap crap that some of you guys mentioned, couldnt believe the difference

So when I got my current GTR R33, I got a set of 265/35/18 AD08's straight away

Extremely expensive, but what top quality part isnt?

Tirerack will not send Yokos to AU anymore, nor Hankook

You need a US postal serviice that will send them, a guy from work has one, they send it to the US postal forwarding address which will then forward them on to here.

It costs a bit to set it up but it still works out cheaper for most goods, Australian distributers are raping us blind.

Ill post up the company he uses tomorrow.