SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

You need a US postal serviice that will send them, a guy from work has one, they send it to the US postal forwarding address which will then forward them on to here.

It costs a bit to set it up but it still works out cheaper for most goods, Australian distributers are raping us blind.

Ill post up the company he uses tomorrow.

USAtoAUS.com will put them in a container and send them over too...similar to having a forwarding address, but will take 6-8 weeks to receive them into aus

Hey guys just need some quick advice..

(There is a lot of pages.. :rolleyes: )

Just entered my R33 in a track day coming, and it's not going to be my daily for too much longer, so I am in the process of deciding tyres to run etc as it will basically turn into a weekend trash car so obviously performance is all I'm concerned over really..

Just trying to get a rough idea on opinions between the following:

Federal 595 RSR

Kuhmo KU36

Toyo R1R

I can get the 595's through a mate at work at a good price so I was considering them, but have never tried any tyre.

As i said not too fussed on wet weather etc. as we are going into warmer weather!

Cheers guys!

Car : 1997 Skyline R33 Gtst

Suspension : Pedders Coilovers

Power : 230rwkw

Tyre sizes I am looking for :

F 235/40/18

R 265/35/18

Phew...ok I read through all 57 pages of this thread and have gathered what seems to be the opinion of the majority of those who have posted here.

Please help me clear up any misconceptions.

I am looking for a tyre that will be street ONLY use , no track events...ever. In saying that i want it to be extremely grippy in both the dry(and especially wet) but last a fair amount of time.

Looking at the last 56 pages my options so far are -

Toyo T1R - consistently the tyre that seems to be the best cost , durability and wet / dry weather wise. never a bad thing said about it

Federal SS 595 - what I was going to get until I started reading reviews talking about how bad they are in the wet, Are they bad int he wet?

Federal 595 RS - amazing performance but is a semi slick , and I have a street car so durability is a factor

Dunlop SP9000/Dunlop Sport Maxx - only heard good things about this , not as popular as the T1R or SS 595

Yokahama Advan V103 - few good comments

Yokohama Advan A048 - few good comments

Falken 451/452 - a large range of comments from absolute best to a crappy street tyre....varied range of opinions.

Kumho KU36 - even though very grippy, might be overkill for daily driven car and not last as long as others

Kumho KU31 - good tyre but others on the list offer far superior peformance

At this point , for my size , factor in wet and dry weather and for cost and durability Id say my best bet would be either the Toyo T1R or the Federal SS 595. Opinions, suggestions?

Edited by tripsteady

My skyline understeered like a pig with Federal 595 SS, swapped to KU36 with no change to alignment or anything and the car was awesome!

The "Semi Slick" term is thrashed on the forums but they are not a true semi slick.... Depends how many kms you want to get out of a tyre, also depends how much you wanna spend.

Car : 1997 Skyline R33 Gtst

Suspension : Pedders Coilovers

Power : 230rwkw

Tyre sizes I am looking for :

F 235/40/18

R 265/35/18

Phew...ok I read through all 57 pages of this thread and have gathered what seems to be the opinion of the majority of those who have posted here.

Please help me clear up any misconceptions.

I am looking for a tyre that will be street ONLY use , no track events...ever. In saying that i want it to be extremely grippy in both the dry(and especially wet) but last a fair amount of time.

Looking at the last 56 pages my options so far are -

Toyo T1R - consistently the tyre that seems to be the best cost , durability and wet / dry weather wise. never a bad thing said about it

Federal SS 595 - what I was going to get until I started reading reviews talking about how bad they are in the wet, Are they bad int he wet?

Federal 595 RS - amazing performance but is a semi slick , and I have a street car so durability is a factor

Dunlop SP9000/Dunlop Sport Maxx - only heard good things about this , not as popular as the T1R or SS 595

Yokahama Advan V103 - few good comments

Falken 451/452 - a large range of comments from absolute best to a crappy street tyre....varied range of opinions.

Kumho KU36 - even though very grippy, might be overkill for daily driven car and not last as long as others

At this point , for my size , factor in wet and dry weather and for cost and durability Id say my best bet would be either the Toyo T1R or the Federal SS 595. Opinions, suggestions?

My skyline understeered like a pig with Federal 595 SS, swapped to KU36 with no change to alignment or anything and the car was awesome!

The "Semi Slick" term is thrashed on the forums but they are not a true semi slick.... Depends how many kms you want to get out of a tyre, also depends how much you wanna spend.

ive been in a skyline with ku36's on the rear and all I can saw is WOW. still though , what kind of life am I looking to get out of this. This is a daily driver , I do about 15 000km a year so looking for the tyres to last me about a year or so.

Looking to get about 10000-15000 km out of these tyres

Looking to spend around $900 all up for front and rear

Edited by tripsteady

If your alignment etc is spot on there is no reason you cant get that sort of milage.... If your car is stupidly low will full sik camber etc then it doesnt matter what tyre you run you will end up with wearing issues!

Falken Ziex ZE912

265/35zr18 97w

Power : stock...

Dry : 6/10

Wet 0/10

Im pissed of. Very very pissed of. How the hell are Falken Ziex even legally allowed to be sold being this bad in the wet? Did they do NO testing at all before they released this tyre???

This tyre isnt just bad in the wet , its downright f*cking dangerous. Ive already span out two times going very very slow. Ive had $100 tyres that came with the car that had almost no tread that fared twice as well in the rain. its like they went out of their way to make it as slippery as possible in the wet

Today Kia's and Camrys where turning faster then me.Seriously. I ever so slightly tapped the throttle at the lights when taking of and the wheels just span on the spot. I was shitting myself all the way home , having to take each corner 5km/h.... selling this f*cking tyre should be illegal. I dont drive in the rain because of this tyre....its almost imppossible.

I know Falken makes other good tyres but just for releasing a tyre this bad im boycotting them and never buying a Falken branded tyre again. F*ck you Falken. F*ck you with a pogo stick.

While I've never been impressed with the wet performance of falken's cheapies....i'd be getting your wheel alignment checked if I were you. no car should ever feel like you are ice skating, no matter how cheap the tyres. also double check for major wear on the inside of the rears, it can be hard to notice

Just to clarify some of your choices Trip...

They are not a semi slick. They are a high performance road tyre.

People whatever reason often call AD08/RS-R & KU36's Semi-slicks. Fact is they are not

They are a semi slick… Not bad for the money realistically but not a street tyre.

I have KU31s on my SS, they are average. Would not recommend for the price.

Also another to consider for a decent road tyre with some good life would be the Bridgestone Adrenaline RE002.

I ran RE001s on my GTS-R (280rwkw/RWD) and wet weather grip was very impressive so the RE002 (being the replacement) should also be good. They are not as grippy as say a AD08 or a RS-R in the dry. but they should have great wet weather performance.

While I've never been impressed with the wet performance of falken's cheapies....i'd be getting your wheel alignment checked if I were you. no car should ever feel like you are ice skating, no matter how cheap the tyres. also double check for major wear on the inside of the rears, it can be hard to notice

alignment was done when i got my coilovers and then done again today when I raised it....seemed fine as the car wasnt pulling either right or left. Wear on the inside is okay...not running alot of camber(just the camber that automatically is there when you lower your car)

Just to clarify some of your choices Trip...

They are not a semi slick. They are a high performance road tyre.

People whatever reason often call AD08/RS-R & KU36's Semi-slicks. Fact is they are not

They are a semi slick… Not bad for the money realistically but not a street tyre.

I have KU31s on my SS, they are average. Would not recommend for the price.

Also another to consider for a decent road tyre with some good life would be the Bridgestone Adrenaline RE002.

I ran RE001s on my GTS-R (280rwkw/RWD) and wet weather grip was very impressive so the RE002 (being the replacement) should also be good. They are not as grippy as say a AD08 or a RS-R in the dry. but they should have great wet weather performance.

not looking to spend more then a grand for all four tryes (265's rear and 235's front). Had my heart set on the ku36's but i heard that because they were a semi slick they would be crap in the rain until they warmed up. And since alot of my driving is daily stop start traffic , they dont really get a chance to warm up. but as you pointed out they arent a semi slick...so do they require heat to work well?

how much camber you running? I've been using federal 595 on the back, 255s, 1 degree camber, pretty good for a cheap tyre, definitely not a semi slick

not much , very little camber(not sure exact amount)...im so confused about the 595's.Ive read amazing reviews in this thread , then I go over to boost and hear what a bad wet weather tyre is for ver 10 different people. Since I have a decent amount of tread on my ziexs , the only reason im purchasing tyres are so I am able to drive in the rain like a normal person without shitting myself everytime I see any corner.....so I HAVE to make sure that the tyres I buy are wet weather capable...

not looking to spend more then a grand for all four tryes (265's rear and 235's front). Had my heart set on the ku36's but i heard that because they were a semi slick they would be crap in the rain until they warmed up. And since alot of my driving is daily stop start traffic , they dont really get a chance to warm up. but as you pointed out they arent a semi slick...so do they require heat to work well?

They are a high performance road tyre, so they need heat in them to work well. Same as a AD08 and a RS-R (i've had both, and they are not great when cold). Realistically though you shouldn't be driving that hard in the first 5 mins anyway as you need to let your car warm up. So it was a non-issue as far as i see it.

They are a high performance road tyre, so they need heat in them to work well. Same as a AD08 and a RS-R (i've had both, and they are not great when cold). Realistically though you shouldn't be driving that hard in the first 5 mins anyway as you need to let your car warm up. So it was a non-issue as far as i see it.

well weekdays to work I dont drive hard...since well theres really no need to....I do want to give it a boot now and then and want to have the confidence that they will be up to the task so even in stop start traffic with no real driving hard , the tyres would warm up? is constant contact with the road all that is needed to warm up?

apologies for the noobish question , after weeks of researching its between the t1r's and the ku36's and dunlop s9000. Having trouble getting my hands on t1r's though but the ku36's are in abundance. Just worried about its wet weather performance when cold.

ss 595's - to many stories about how bad they are in the wet. and since this is the reason im replacing my current ziex's, dont want to take the chance

ku31- good tyre but as pointed out , at that price point , they are better tyres out there

rsr's - high performance road tyre that requires heat to work well....

ad08 - as above

falken 452 - f*ck you Falken

the camber that is automatically there when lowering? if you've got coil overs and no camber arms you might find its got up to about 4 degrees depending on how low etc, if it does camber arms and less camber will help alot

Edited by WMDC35

• 2 weeks later...

I think go for it, they only can be better right?

I had the KU31s before on the front & rears as a daily tyre and they performed quite well when put up against Toyo Proxes 4 on my previous R33. In the dry it put down ~240kWs and barely spun on hard shifts between gears (255/40/17R). In the wet they behaved ok as well, then I upgraded to KU36s. In the wet, it was a sailing titanic LOL

I currently have Federal 595 SS, they are horrid in the wet. I have a stock R33 at the moment, with 275 wide Federal 595 SS and around a round about and a light jab of the gas and my boat/fridge is sailing sideways.

In the dry they "appear" to be fine, then again this R33 is producing stock kWs