SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

I used mine for about a year, probably clock about 18k and towards the last 4 months, it was just shit house, no grip on the wet at all and would spin 2nd in the dry

So if you are giving it all, it breaks traction, and it got a 9/10 ?

As someone said right back on the first page, a 9 or 10 out of 10 would be performance from a race slick. It's hard to give grip ratings when you have only ever driven on cheaper tyres and never had a road semi on.

I used mine for about a year, probably clock about 18k and towards the last 4 months, it was just shit house, no grip on the wet at all and would spin 2nd in the dry

So if you are giving it all, it breaks traction, and it got a 9/10 ?

Yes , WOT in the wet and it breaks traction. Not really an indicator of a bad tyre.....

Trying something new!

Achilles ATR Sport 2

putting them on Thursday. Hope they're decent enough for that price. 235/40/18 = 130 .. 255/35/18 = 175 (supplied, fitted and balanced by JaxQuickFitTyres)

I'll update this after I run them in :)

What are your thoughts on the ATR2 mate? The seem to hold up better on higher powered cars for drifting than the ATR Sport.

Yeap spot on! That's what i would rate them as well, if they are 9/10, i'm not sure how you would rate RE11s or AD08s when they grip on WOT on 2nd in the wet, 15/10?

what power are you talking about with these ratings? hard to believe a tyre holding traction on a gt30 with big boost.. i mean with 200kw traction isnt an issue in second , with 300kw they get fried..

Edited by AngryRBGTX

Car: 1998 R34 GTT sedan (RWD)

Suspension: BC Racing BR coilovers F:6kg/R:5kg, bigger swaybars

Ride height: Lowered but not silly

Power: ~200rwkw

Wheels: Stock R34 GTT 17x7.5

Tyre sizes I am looking for: Stockish 235/45R17, or maybe 245/40R17 at a push. I want same size fronts & rears for easier rotating.

I am looking for quality tyres for street use only. Looking for excellent dry grip and very good wet grip. Reduced tyre noise a bonus but not a must. Happy with a slightly softer compound and 15-20k life. Still I don't want a (semi) semi slick because wet grip is important.

The best tyres I ever had were Yokohama Advan Sport V103S, which I would rate at 9/10 for both dry and wet.

Is there anything similar, from any manufacturer, in the ~$300 per corner price range? What would you recommend?

Thanks guys.

^+1127634

These tyres are a fantastic tyre, even holds up to trackwork ;)

done about 10k kms on my super sports, including 2 trackdays, with 50+% tread remaining on a 350kw 33GTR

so i would highly recommend these tyres to anyone!!

What are your thoughts on the ATR2 mate? The seem to hold up better on higher powered cars for drifting than the ATR Sport.

Unfortunately, still haven't got them put on! Jax had a delay and then I went to Tasmania. Going to get it done end of this week hopefully (including installing my coilovers/camber arms)

^+1127634

These tyres are a fantastic tyre, even holds up to trackwork ;)

done about 10k kms on my super sports, including 2 trackdays, with 50+% tread remaining on a 350kw 33GTR

so i would highly recommend these tyres to anyone!!

Thanks guys! So about these Michelin Super Sports, it looks that over at http://www.michelin.com.au/ the sizing only starts at 225/45R18 (for $505/ea :w00t: ) so no 17's unfortunately. I'm not sure if I'm game enough to order from TireRack...

OzzyTyres has the following on sale in 235/45R17:

• $154/ea GOODYEAR 94Y EAGLE F1
  • $155/ea DUNLOP 94W DZ101
  • $159/ea MICHELIN 94Y PILOT ALPIN PA3
  • $159/ea MICHELIN 94Y PILOT PRIMACY
  • $201/ea PIRELLI 94Y PZERO ROSSO ASSYMETRICAL
  • $238/ea PIRELLI 97Y PZERO

Are any of these close to the Super Sports in performance?

I used Tirerack to get my Michelins due to the fact Michelin Australia cant be bothered bringing 265/35/18 into Australia

Once i sent my money i received my tyres in 5business days too my door!!!

Michelin Australia arnt bringing every size into the country, this is reflected on their website

the michelin PSS are probably the best wet/dry tyre on the planet atm, so if you go the 235 45 17 from tirerack then figure $400 freight and money transfer + $800 for the rubber, then $100 to strip fit and balance...$1300 so that's $100 over your budget,

is $1300 worth it for the best?

up to you

...edit

maths

Edited by Missileman

Mine were grippy right up to when they were replaced. 255/35/18 all round.

Opinions on grip, is just that, opinions. One person with one set of wheel alignment specs will have a different opinion of the same tyre compared to someone else with different set of specs.

Even tyre pressures makes a difference, and different tyres respond differently to pressures.

I used Tirerack to get my Michelins due to the fact Michelin Australia cant be bothered bringing 265/35/18 into Australia

Once i sent my money i received my tyres in 5business days too my door!!!

Michelin Australia arnt bringing every size into the country, this is reflected on their website

the michelin PSS are probably the best wet/dry tyre on the planet atm, so if you go the 235 45 17 from tirerack then figure $400 freight and money transfer + $800 for the rubber, then $100 to strip fit and balance...$1300 so that's $100 over your budget,

is $1300 worth it for the best? up to you

After much pondering I ended up getting a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 from IT-T in Sydney, just over $800 delivered.

People on Tyrereviews seem to regard these highly: http://www.tyrerevie...symmetric-2.htm

I'll post some experiences once they're on.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, still haven't got them put on! Jax had a delay and then I went to Tasmania. Going to get it done end of this week hopefully (including installing my coilovers/camber arms)

Alright, finally got these tyres on!

Achilles ATR Sport 2.

D: 8

W: haven't tried (keen to see this outcome)

These are imo a LOT better than the KU31's I had. took the 33 for a hit yesterday arvo around round abouts and corners etc and it kept me planted to the ground :D Can't be happier considering the price of them!!

235/40/18 fronts

265/35/18 rears