SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

They make RSR's feel like ling longs :P

Looking forward to seeing what you think of them Matt

Haha wow they must be good! Just hope they fit inside my back guards or close enough!

I tried out the Nankang NS2-R recently, 225/45r17 on a 9" wheel.

Overall it's a great tyre for the price. My car is poorly setup and unbalanced at the moment, I was only running these tyres on the front.
They cope with heat very well and still offer good wet grip when driving on the road too.

I didn't think the sidewall was overly stiff, not like Advan AD07/AD08.
I'd recommend them for anyone looking for a sticky tyre, good for road/track day combo.

I didn't think the grip was quite as good as RS-R but it was close, although my car was poorly setup/not aligned.

I paid $135 fitted/balanced each.

I tried out the Nankang NS2-R recently, 225/45r17 on a 9" wheel.

Overall it's a great tyre for the price. My car is poorly setup and unbalanced at the moment, I was only running these tyres on the front.

They cope with heat very well and still offer good wet grip when driving on the road too.

I didn't think the sidewall was overly stiff, not like Advan AD07/AD08.

I'd recommend them for anyone looking for a sticky tyre, good for road/track day combo.

I didn't think the grip was quite as good as RS-R but it was close, although my car was poorly setup/not aligned.

I paid $135 fitted/balanced each.

I assume this is a troll right? :blink:

Worst tyre on the planet!

anyone have much experience with Nitto NT-05? I'm tempted to buy them before the next track outing .. but money says NO lol

Pretty cheap tyre, would like to give it a crack but will see how the RS3 goes!

I assume this is a troll right? :blink:

Worst tyre on the planet!

Pretty cheap tyre, would like to give it a crack but will see how the RS3 goes!

No troll... pretty good tyre

Could you be confusing it with the Nankang NS2 (total junk?)

The NS2-R is a completely different tyre

Have you tried it?

P1020457.jpg

P1020459.jpg

nankang-ns-2r-225-45r17-94w-tyre-180-str

They haven't been out in Australia all that long, I haven't seen many local reviews yet.

Yep i was wrong in the tyre lol... Sorry man!

Haha, no worries man!

Lot of companies seem to be coming up with this style of tyre now, the Westlake Sport RS is another one, but Australia seems to be delayed in terms of sizes we get.

These come in a street (180 treadwear) and track (120 treadwear) versions, I should say I used the street 180 treadwear version.

Surprised that Nankang can churn out a good tyre. Been reading some reviews, mainly from UK. They all love it (cold wet weather, conditions where NS-2 on my old 17" nearly killed me a few times). $135 each is a great price, where did you get them from sweefu? Blair's tyres?

Also on the lookout for NT-05 reviews. They seem to be a good track day tyre.

Surprised that Nankang can churn out a good tyre. Been reading some reviews, mainly from UK. They all love it (cold wet weather, conditions where NS-2 on my old 17" nearly killed me a few times). $135 each is a great price, where did you get them from sweefu?

My first thoughts exactly! I had NS2s when i got the car and it was like driving on ice no matter what conditions!

I think Ant might have run the NT05 ill have to ask him and if it was them ill let you know....

Surprised that Nankang can churn out a good tyre. Been reading some reviews, mainly from UK. They all love it (cold wet weather, conditions where NS-2 on my old 17" nearly killed me a few times). $135 each is a great price, where did you get them from sweefu? Blair's tyres?

I was surprised too. A few years ago I tried Nankang NS2 (normal) and they are the worst tyre I have ever used, I've probably tried 20-30 different tyres in the last 6 years, but I can't knock something until I try it! :P I was happy with the NS2-R.

I got them from Inverse Tyres in Bayswater, Inverse is a great shop, best prices I could find (not that many people even have NS2-R yet) and great service, I left it very late to fit up tyres for Winton Matsuri and they still fitted up my tyres, then found one of my wheels were buckled and stripped all my tyres again and re-fitted them to different wheels, at about 8.30pm on the Thursday night before Winton. How is that for service!

I'm keen to test the tyre in a more balanced setup. I didn't go anywhere near the limit of grip it has.

Seemed stable with pressure too, my China rears (although rears do get hotter) often fluctuate between 10psi and 20psi from hot to cold, but the NS2-R only moved around 6psi - 8psi at most. After I adjusted the hot pressure they stayed stable which is nice.

I was surprised too. A few years ago I tried Nankang NS2 (normal) and they are the worst tyre I have ever used, I've probably tried 20-30 different tyres in the last 6 years, but I can't knock something until I try it! :P I was happy with the NS2-R.

I got them from Inverse Tyres in Bayswater, Inverse is a great shop, best prices I could find (not that many people even have NS2-R yet) and great service, I left it very late to fit up tyres for Winton Matsuri and they still fitted up my tyres, then found one of my wheels were buckled and stripped all my tyres again and re-fitted them to different wheels, at about 8.30pm on the Thursday night before Winton. How is that for service!

I'm keen to test the tyre in a more balanced setup. I didn't go anywhere near the limit of grip it has.

Seemed stable with pressure too, my China rears (although rears do get hotter) often fluctuate between 10psi and 20psi from hot to cold, but the NS2-R only moved around 6psi - 8psi at most. After I adjusted the hot pressure they stayed stable which is nice.

What have you tried as a comparison to the NS2-R and what sort of setup and driving etc?

Comment on Nitto here -

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/84208-wheel-sizes-offsets-for-skylines/page-146

What have you tried as a comparison to the NS2-R and what sort of setup and driving etc?

Like I said above, my car was poorly setup. Worn OEM suspension, average alignment etc.

In a better car (my previous car, R31) I have tried Federal RS (Pre RS-R) and Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 (again, pre AD08)

The AD07 had more grip wet or dry, more driving feedback, stiffer sidewall, more progressive grip than anything else I've used.

The NS2-R might be similar to an RS-R, but I really haven't tested the limit of the NS2-R so it's not fair for me to say yet.

I'll be sure to do some more in depth testing soon though ;)

Well i have my heart set on Hankook RS3's as they seem like a winner... My biggest problem is what size do i go for as i have been told they are slightly wider than a normal tyre of the same size (lol if that makes any sense)...

Previously i have run 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears

Currently i am running 255/35/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears

Both of those work well with RS-Rs on 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 rims. 1.5deg neg camber front and 0.5 rear.

I have the option to run 235, 255, 265 and 275 in the RS3 but not sure what combo and if they will fit as the current setup is cutting it fine! Any tyre gurus in here? lol