SAU Community

180sx Information needed??

Well Im a Noob looking at getting a 180sx and I come across that there are 2 different engines in them. The CA18DET and the SR20DET.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the real difference is in these engines. I know one is 1.8 litre and the other is 2.0 litre but what is the difference between performance and reliability?

If someone could help me out it would be great.

From my experience, if you want reliability go with the SR20 version, everyone i know whos had a CA18 one the engine has died. SR is an all alloy engine & CA is cast iron block. SR performs heaps better and easily tuned for more power. CA18 are really quick & revvy when in good condition, but i think their age is the biggest problem.

mate, go to nissansilvia.com, thats is the silvia and 180sx club site.

go the sr20, it is much more advanced, the engine is more reliable, quicker, punchier, easier to get parts for, the list goes on.

also the sr model is the later model, with better suspension, braking, and interior.

ive done alot of work to a mates sr 180sx, its pulling 244rwkw with a gtrs turbo and a few other bits and pieces.

the power is like an on off switch, 4000rpm, the wheels just light up. nothing like my 33, which has a broad torque range.

cheers

Linton