SAU Community

power vs lag???? anyone??

Im new to skylines, (having come from a wrx, going to the 6cly darkside) but what im wondering is...im looking at getting a r33 gtr. ive seen a couple on diferent car sales web sites with 600hp (i think thats around 400kws)atw. but what i want to know is, would these be lag monsters, that only make the power up higher in the speed range? as i said, having come from a wrx, i love the power off the line that a wrx has, but now i want more and a gtr seems the way to go! i like the look of the r33, so thats the one i want.

1.what sort of power (kws at the wheels) should i be looking for before i start to suffer in the lag area?

2.should i be looking for certain types of aftermarket turbos?

basicaly i want something that is VERY quick off the mark, and VERY quick overall. my wrx had about 160-170kws atw, and it started to bore me!!!!

thanks for any help!!!!

Lag won't be determined by the power figure, you could get a 400rwkw GTR with minimal lag... having said that, a GTR by nature will feel laggy compared to your WRX probably.. have you been in any or driven any yet?

You sound like you want response and power, for that HKS GTSS or 2530 turbos making with forged internals and all the other stuff that goes with it making around 320rwkw i think would be what you're after...

R33 GTR with those goodies your probably looking around the 50k mark give or take.

my wrx came on full boost around 3200-3500rpm, this was after some mods. before the mods it came on around 2900-3200rpm. this was a little laggy (3200-3500) but livable.

what does a modded r33 come on boost at?

the r33 that im looking at (with 417kws atw) do you think it would keep up with a modded rex? i mean, i know the gtr might kill it over the long run, but remembering that the speed limits are fairly low, would it keep up to the rex off the lights up to say.......60-100km/hr?

thanks guys.

my wrx came on full boost around 3200-3500rpm, this was after some mods. before the mods it came on around 2900-3200rpm. this was a little laggy (3200-3500) but livable.

what does a modded r33 come on boost at?

the r33 that im looking at (with 417kws atw) do you think it would keep up with a modded rex? i mean, i know the gtr might kill it over the long run, but remembering that the speed limits are fairly low, would it keep up to the rex off the lights up to say.......60-100km/hr?

thanks guys.

generally speaking I think that a gtr will at least match and quite often be quicker off the line than a similarly modded wrx. personally I have only raced 1 decent sti at the lights, he had a front mount and apparantly he said he had some aftermarket turbo ecu. my car was pretty stock except 1Bar boost so I thought I would get flogged .From a roll we were quite even (I was only marginally quicker), however we had 3 goes off the line and I got him everytime (6500rpm launches), I guess it looked like he had to much lag off the line due to maybe his turbo?, and he then couldnt catch me. anyway I loved my gtr and im still bitter for having to part with it.

like ferni said if your looking for response try to buy something with smaller low mounts such as 2530's or gtss's and you will not be disappointed, but remember that the standard turbos are also good for atleast 250rwkw so thats definately nothing to sneeze at.

you cant use nos on the streets, i think its even illegal just to have the bottle hooked up whilst on the streets.

but the question remains, whould a 22hp shot of nos get rid of lag?

can you get it set up like a dual stage manual boost controller? and have say, 75hp shot on low setting and the full 200hp shot on high?