SAU Community

viper alarm vs boomerang alarm

Viper is an illegal alarm. Not endosed by insurance companies. So basically if your car gets broken into or stolen and written off. Thats just bad luck. I found this out the hard way. And i dont know what the boomerang alarm is sorry.

I'm not familiar with Boomerangs but I know Vipers aren't that fantastic when it comes to proper security... none except the 700ESP (International model, but even then isn't Aus complied due to lack of Passive arming, with the Vipers you can turn it off which isn't compliance friendly) have black wiring and I think at the same time it's the only one with 3 point immobilisor? I've had a DEI Electronics alarm before (Same company) and had no problems but as GotBoost said, most insurance companies won't touch them for proper coverage. Alot of Viper is brand name... and I find alot of the features are sort of useless but are cool to impress your mates, ie. pager alarms with remote start (A friend had one and kept running out to check on it cause of false alarms then eventually got fed up :(). But if you want proper security I'd look elsewhere or get the 700ESP if you have to go Viper. Alot of their alarms are only single point immobilisation and while autobarn and other places say they can create relays to create extra points... it's useless as if one point is defeated, so are the rest. And I don't think insurance companies would be impressed with that... or yourself when you find your pride and joy missing :(

If they want to steal your car, they will... more immobilisor points (proper... not relays) will deter them, black wiring even more... but even so with all this, a good install is easily better then a good alarm. If your install is easily noticeable (ie. under the dash), it's pretty much useless, more so if the alarm wiring is made noticeable and doesn't "camoflague" in with the stock wiring loom.

Most good installs will locate the main unit way into in the dash, above air vents, definately places you can't get to quickly without hacking the whole dash to bits or dissassembling it. A really good install will take out the whole dash and integrate the alarm into the loom to make everything look factory and wire a point up to the ECU then the usual ignition, starter motor and/or fuel pump... the car then won't be going anywhere unless it's on the back of a tow truck :(

Look into a Mongoose or Cyclops alarm too... doesn't have to be American or famous to be good :( Hope I helped... good luck.

Care to elaborate on that more? I've never heard that before..

I think he meant it's not insurance approved (no aussie standards compliance).

I recently purchased an alarm from Chris Rogers (audio express).

I found his service and price to be excellent and I got an alarm that did everything I wanted mine to do.

I'd was wary of the viper for some reason (gut feel) and yeah I think it's a fast and the furious alarm :( If you do have to have it remember it sells on websites in USA for about $200-250 USD. Even with exchange rate and shipping I think it may be worth buying from there.

I think he meant it's not insurance approved (no aussie standards compliance).

I recently purchased an alarm from Chris Rogers (audio express).

I found his service and price to be excellent and I got an alarm that did everything I wanted mine to do.

I'd was wary of the viper for some reason (gut feel) and yeah I think it's a fast and the furious alarm :( If you do have to have it remember it sells on websites in USA for about $200-250 USD. Even with exchange rate and shipping I think it may be worth buying from there.

There not Aus approved therefore insurance company will not cover your alarm as part of the policy. If they find out its a non approved alarm (like i know one person did) then kiss getting insurance anywhere else goodbye as well.

Viper to me is purely wank value and not really a great alarm unless your willing to spend $800 -$900 and upwards. Dont get me wrong protection is important for ya ride and worth every penny, but there are pleny of alrams out there (australian made/legal) that will do the exact same job and for half the price.

Look at Cyclops, Vision and some of the others that you can buy locally. Talk to people in the business (CHris Rogers aka Audio Express) as they are always willing to help you out and steer you in the right direction. I didn't even buy my alarm from Chris and he gave me a phone call and helped me out and we live at the other ends of Austalia. To me that is a guy that cares about his job, know's his stuff and is willing to give up his time and knowledge to help out fellow car enthusiasts, we need more of these people and there are plenty of them on SAU. Look around and you will realise you can get a better alarm and save yourself a few dollars along the way. Think of it this way, the money you save on the alram itself, you can put towards a professional install. My 2cents anyway

:(

I just put some system in... The Keyring has "Majicar" on it.

I don't reccomend this system... Its fcuking shit... The remote start can be handy, but not when the fcuking thing tries to start the car a few more times AFTER the car has already started.

Autobard has fitted it, and its dodgey as... I'm not happy with the service, and the workmanship, and I don't know what to do about it. Its fcuking crap.

What do any of you guys suggest I do? $350 to install, and $450 for the system.

The only thing good about it is the Window Winders.

whowa that's expensive.

tell em to fix it since you already paid?

called them and showed them I wasn't happy, and they are gonig to pull it out and install another.

Still... Its an invonvenience.

called them and showed them I wasn't happy, and they are gonig to pull it out and install another.

Still... Its an invonvenience.

That seems a bit rough but if there is problems with the unit then its better to get another one installed and start over. But if you talk to a couple of pro installer like Chris ROgers im pretty sure they will tell you that $350 is fairly pricey, even for the best guys. The guy i was talking to originally to do mine was going to cost me $200 tops. Thats was to install the alarm/immobiler and central locking and boot release kit in my R32.

i know a dude who works at JB-Hifi, he does the audio/alarm install for them n used to do so for strafield n crap, he redid my dads merc n mums bmw with good shit n decent price, not the over charged crap like autobarn n them, he also recomends boomerang over viper, as viper is "ricey 2f2f nonesense"

pretty cheap with all the feature in it. only $700

pretty kool with the entry pin keypad

but i think boomerang alarm is better coz of the cost difference

ill keep this system in mind

has any1 in the forum got this system in their car

and how is it if so

later

• 3 weeks later...

CC,

ta glad you are happy

GMB,

ta. glad I was of help.

in regards to to the original systems in question i have done both. both are illegal to use in aust. ( the remote start is the problem) both use coloured wires again a no no on the isurance front. viper has no passive immobilisation ( it's disabled from factory.) and from memory the boomerang doesn't either.

the viper has a relay satellite that needs to be VERY well hidden for obvious reasons and doing extra points on it requires a LOT of relays and these need to be WELL hidden as does the control wire feeding them. ( clip it and the whole lot is gone!)

the boomerang one needs to have the module & wiring WELL hidden as the heavy cabling that feeds it makes the car VERY easy to move.

mongoose, cyclops, brant are more my pick. brant nemisis works well but if you forget that you have the car jacking enabled it will give you the sh1ts. the keypad will stop 99% of joyriders ( not me though!) from taking the car. brant seem to be doing more OEM stuff lately for some reason and getting out of the aftermarket side of things. I have a nemisis system sitting here currently but it takes a pro to do it properly.

mongoose do one that keeps the insurance companies happy and for a fee I can add a tilt (or tow sensor as its known) to the alarm. look at the M80G.

Cyclops do a neat one ( P785) that doesn't need arming/disarming as it does it by transponder. walk up to the vehicle get in and go. walk off and it does its thing. only draw back is the two pt kill. ( mongoose has 3 brant nemsis had 6.)

i do this for a living so if you have questions please ask or email me.