SAU Community

I found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!

FAT32 - how much power does 2535 make on a RB20? When does it start to spool where on the RPM range do you get 1 bar?

This has always been an impossible question for me to answer since I believe it depends on many factors like amb temp, what gear you're in, what type of boost controller you're using, how your engine is modified etc, etc, etc.

The only way I can answer that is by a general opinion. IMHO I would say that the HKS GT2530 is prol the best turbo for a stock RB20DET. I only swapped up to a GT2535 to because I wanted less mid range punch ( around where the engine starts making it's power ) and more legs above that point ( if that makes any sense ).

Now Mark, does what I said about the wastegate actuator make any sense to you or not ??? If you truely believe that your bleed valve can work on my car I will re-purchase one. :)

I guess a more appropriate qusetion would be.......has anyone installed one of these valves on and RB20DET and with what results ?? Pics of installation would be REALLY helpfull.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what's good ????  ( without the rocket scientist degree ).

HKS EVC 3 or 4 is good. I have a EVC 3 and works really well.

I also have 1 of these boost controllers which is going into my turbo diesel 4x4 so I will see how it goes when i finially get a chance to install it

Mark

Im not saying your product is bad and that the powerup product is better.

All i was saying is that all these products are very close.

We did our own test because we fit and sell these products to the general public.

We just dont sell PowerUp, We also sell turbosmart, GFB & TurboXs.

As for your post on the dual stage boost controller, it all varies on the actuator and how this unit was installed, we have sold many dual stage boost controllers on late model turbo's and never had any issues, the only issue we have had is on the EVO's as there factory wastegates leak at above 15psi.

For a MBC boost controller to work the wastegate should be in good condition and the unit installed right, no matter what brand you use if the above two are not conditioned then it simply wont work. Even a EBC won't work.

See this article

www.autospeed.com/A_1465/cms/article.html

Maybe we approach ZooM to do some test's.

With a bit of luck my controller should turn up tomorrow.

It's replacing a t/smart boost bleed.

So I'll do some back to back testing on saturday, then on sunday I've got a track day so It'll get a bit of a workout. Hoping for quicker boost up.

I run my car at 15psi at present (have done for 5/6 years) and it has always spiked to 17psi.

Hooks

read all the posts and seen that there are a few GTR owners out there with these, just still not 100% sure how to fit it to mine, i was wondering if anyone can tell me where to fit it or send me some pics of it fitted to the RB26DETT engine, ta.

Ok, got it today (thanks Simark)

results tomorrow.

Little more background;

Car is running RB20det ECCS 6 port red rocker cover.

RB25 roller turbo

R33 GTS intercooler (I'm after an R34 GTS I/C for nix, any offers?)

Cat back 2.5" exhaust, standard airbox, O2 rush air filter.

Hooks

(I'm serious about the R34 intercooler)

Late R31 came with 6 port red rocker cover.

It's on!

And it does exactly what its supposed to do.

Boost bleed; max boost 3800rpm/ 3900rpm

New Simark special; max boost 3500/ 3600rpm = fatter torque

NO SPIKE!

also, has a smoother ramp, feels slower but is actually quicker.

I'm very happy so far.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow around Wakefield park.

Hooks

Okay, i was playing around with my GTR today attempting to fit the boost controller as i have now got my exhaust fixed yesterday, I plumbed it in in place of what i presume is the standard boost controller, and just wound it down and the intention of backing off as soon as it went above stock boost so i knew that i had it in the right place, but to no avail...is this the correct position for it, do i need to remove that little restrictor in the line or have i got it in the wrong place all together, cheers.

Yuo have got it where in the right place. thats the solanoid you have taken out of the loop. and yes its what was controlling the boost before.

From the photo it looks like it is wound up to like 20psi!!! you need to screw the bolt almost all the way out. so that these are only a bout 3 - 4mm of thread i n the controller.

then test drive it and make sure boost is standard level

then tighten it about 1/4 of a turn and drive it again.

do this untill you have reached your desired boost level :rofl:

If you wind the bolt out all the way and the car still overboosts, you have got the hoses connected around the wrong way on the controller. (i cant tell from the photo) If this is the case just swap the hoses around on the conteoller.

hope that explains it all;)

Or read my posts a few pages aback that say this is not suitable in the stock location on a GTR and you need to re-do all your vacuum plumbing.

Yeah, i'm going to replumb it this week as it doesnt change the boost at all when i have it set even how the photo shows it wound right up...ta.

Mine changes boost really easy. I was actually worried that there wasn't enough thread screwed in and it may wiggle its way out.

Its perfectly fine with the lock nut though. :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback so far and help you give others as I know stuff all about skylines, other than I want one.

I use your valuable comments to improve the controller regularly..

Thanks again,

Mark