SAU Community

I found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!

i installed mine yesterday and had it running at stock boost. The ext wastegate spring is 7psi, and prior to installing the boost controller, my boost was 6psi constant. after installing it, boost went up to 8psi (the instructions say it will go up slightly), but then it started boosting higher and higher until the wastegate wouldnt open! i pulled it off and ran straight hose from turbo to wastegate, and now my boost is at 10psi. I dont understand how it can be at 6psi for 3 months, then go up to 10psi by itself?

Leaky hose?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought leaky hose so i changed it, same thing. Boost has settled to 8psi through every gear to redline. BTW, I have an 88 TX5 Turbo with full engine rebuild (forgies, resized rods, knife edged crank etc), ported head, standard manifold with r33 s1 gtst turbo (plain bearing) and some other goodies. Still have to get it tuned with the microtech and fuel system upgrades. Shooting for 160kw atw on 14psi.

I really wanna get one of these valves, but concerned about about what kind of boost i can run. I have 3" zorst, pod and soon a 600X300X79 front mount cooler. At the moment it is reading at 10psi, but spikes to 11psi sometimes, and 12 psi flatout in 5th. whats safe for me to run?

hey fellas, iv bought one of these boost controllers and have found it to be a great little investment. definitely earlier boost than before. however i got my car tuned less than week straight after installation of boost controller and have found my fuel economy to drop from 350km a tank to 250km a tank. could this be because of earlier boost or a bad tune up?

So you had a tune?

What ECU Are you running? PFC, Wolf, Autotronic etc?

350ikm's per tank is shocking to start with. You obviously have issues.

You should be easily over 400km's nudging 500km's per tank.

Replace your oxygen sensor, check your cat, injectors, afm, cas the list goes on.

My RB30DET is nudging close to 500km's per tank. Yours is 500cc less, mine is on boost from idle (stock small rb20det turbo) I should be using more fuel than you. :rofl:

sorry yeah a power fc. brand new oxygen sensor was fitted on that day. im trying some fuel injecter cleaner at the moment so hopefully that helps. 400-500km per tank!!! i wish i was getting something like that. how do you check your afm, i took it off and had a look and it looked fine to me, but i wasnt really sure what to look out for?

I recevied one of these controllers in the mail yesterday after purchasing one off Mark through EBay. I'm having problems though.

My S14 200sx was running 0.6 bar stock, it has a Blitz Power Induction air box and Stainless steel tuned length manifold as the only real performance mods.

I've installed the TurboTech boost controller and with the controlling screw pretty much only being held on with the lock nut is hitting 1.2 bar max boost. I'm really worried that I may have already done some damage somewhere.

I read that with the screw pretty much wound out you should make slightly over your stock boost. I was wanting to achieve 0.8 bar to be safe.

Can anyone see if I've gone wrong somewhere with the installation?

RIMG0001.jpg

Any help from Mark (TurboTech) or anyone else is greatly appreciated. I definitely holds boost, just too high for my application.

Thanks

Stephen

^^^^ If you posted a better pic of where the hoses all lead too then it would be helpful. When I got mine from Mark and prior to making any adjustments, it was running 8psi. Previously with my GFB bleeder fully closed, it would be on 6psi.

This is how mine is setup:

Hey Thunderbolt, is yours on an SR20 too?

Here's a pic with the things listed on the instructions from Mark. I hope it helps. Basically all the hoses that were connected on the solenoid are hooked up here in some fashion.

mbc02.jpg

I'm guessing the two hoses on the T Piece are going towards the BOV and turbo. I notice in yours you just seem to be plumbing to your wastegate, and in to the turbo. If I were to block the other pipes (I'm runnig a stock 200sx BOV for now though) and just do a similar setup would that work ok?

Thanks for your help.

Okay, I forgot about the stock BOV (having a relocated one does that for you). In that case there is nothing obvious wrong with the installation. Have you tried puting a normal bleeder in the same position? Or what happens when you put a straight connector in instead of the controller?

*edit - Yes I have an SR20 (180sx).

I haven't got a normal bleeder valve, it has been running with the stock solenoid until yesterday arvo. Maybe there is something faulty with the unit. I'll email mark and see what he can do with it.

If you could try a straight connector (a cheap plastic one should be suffice for experimenting) or borrow a bleeder from someone, then you can work out if it is the unit at fault or a problem with the installation. If you borrow a bleeder just close it off completely. You should then be running minimal boost, and if you aren't then there must be a problem with the installation.

I love this thread I" found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!". What you plebs are talking about is a bleed valve not a boost controller. Does a bleed valve increase boost - yes, does a hole in an actuator hose increase boost - yes.

Practically, it is a boost controller as it allows you to control the level of boost.

It does not control boost by bleeding off, more so via the seat tension created on a ball bearing.

It cannot, by any means, be related to that of a hole in a hose bleeding off boost.

ThermoKid,

What are you doing on this site if you are not a Pleb your self?

If it wasn't for us plebs there would be ZERO, hear a ZERO, requirement for automotive performance.

lol

Those of you who have had issues with it; either you have received a dud, or have an installation problem.

I love this thread I" found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!".  What you plebs are talking about is a bleed valve not a boost controller.  Does a bleed valve increase boost - yes, does a hole in an actuator hose increase boost - yes.

you don't know what you are talking about... read what it actually does before spewing your verbal diarrhea stinking opinions all over the internet... do you think you are smarter than all 150 people who have bought this controller?

How about Cubes who build his own hybrid rb25/30 hybrid? Would he use one of these if it worked like a hole in a piece of hose after going to all the effort of custom building an engine?

You are an idiot, plain and simple... :flamer:

I love this thread I" found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!".  What you plebs are talking about is a bleed valve not a boost controller.  Does a bleed valve increase boost - yes, does a hole in an actuator hose increase boost - yes.

Its not realy a bleed valve you Di(khead, and it does control boost, how do people like you find your way on to forums when you cant read?? :confused:

Just Fu(k off!! :Bang: