SAU Community

I found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!

Look we don't need to get into a slander.

I myself opted to purchase the JRD boost controller because of mark not replying to my emails, i emailed jrd, he responed within a few hours and i made my purchase through ebay. Got it in 2 days.

Now that was fantastic service, my freinds has a turbotech boost controller and i have tested both units on my car the only difference im finding is that the JRD unit is coming onto boost about 200rpm quicker and i can wind the boost alot more. Thats the only difference i have noticed, now people have said JRD copied mark but this design of boost controller has been around for years, did mark copy all the others selling on ebay USA, did he copy www.joepmbc.com because its the same theory.

So let people decide where they want to purchase from JRD or Turbotech.

I decided to go with JRD and i couldn't be happier.

Thats my 2 cents

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a good point and worth noting - Joe Pampena came up with the initial design way back in 2001 (or even before perhaps). While marks's design is very similar, its not an exact duplicate, whereas JRD's is almost an exact duplicate of marks with no thought put into the design. Either way there just different degrees of copying an existing idea (maybe joe even got the idea elsewhere).

The controllers are practically identical, however the paint on the JRD one seemed slightly more "sticky" if we want to split hairs ;)

Edited by NewKleer

There were quite a few at two distinct periods, about 8 all up where the wait was around 2 weeks or so (only a couple longer than 3 weeks). i could post all the post numbers up, but after re-reading the thread, i think i have to side with you on this one, the far majority of people have been happy with his service, and with that many dealings theres bound to be some issues from time to time.

I have suggested previously that all he needs to do is find a way to inform us of his availability in sending out the devices. Like i mentioned - perhaps if we see him not advertising any on ebay, then we can assume he's a bit busy at the moment (but unfortunately thru the two periods where he was having problems, he was still advertising them on ebay, which just meant more of a build up of people waiting on him).

Given you said you read the whole thread before buying, you would have noticed that 95% of my posts were positive towards mark, it was just a little annoying that people would have a reason to buy from JRD to begin with when JRD is obviously a rip off of marks one, but for those wanting some guarantee of getting theirs delivered in timely manner during the periods where no one received any replies from mark, they had no alternatives.

Thanks for at least making me review what ive said - there were 2 distinct periods where there were lengthy delays, but both times mark ended up getting back to people and explaining the delays. Given the lack of complaints recently, I think we should assume that there is no longer any issues and no reason not to buy them from mark.

I must admit I didn't put a reference to your name and any other posts, I guess that's my fault for not looking before I post. I apologise.

I just don't like it when people without involvement, cause or experience throw mud at someone just to get in on the act, when that someone has proven themselves to be honest and trustworthy. I made the immature mistake of assuming you were doing just that. Sorry :D

Ben.

Got mine in the post today... bout to fit to the r34... I am sure I have this right but can I just confirm that I take the rubber line the arrow is pointing to (at the non-turbo end)? Then bypass the solenoid?

PIC:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...md=si&img=57115

Thanks in advance :)

I can't really see what your pic is highlighting so I'll try to answer as best I can flying blind :) (And drunk as I am right now WOOT!?)

Connected to your turbo exhaust housing there will be a thin steel arm. This arm will run back to a bell shaped type metal object, this is the wasteguate actuator. Off that actuator will be a rubber tube. This rubber tube runs to the boost measuring source, on the R32 this source is the compressor housing, on the R33 it is before the throttle body I believe.

The MBC (Manual boost controller) plumbs into that line. If you are holding the controller with the screw upwards, the horizontal nipple plumbs into the actuator and the verticle nipple plumbs into the boost measuring source.

I hope this was coherent as I cannot see well enough to correct any mistakes I have made. If I remember that I even posted this, I'll look over it in the morning.

Lastly, the diagram mark sent with the controller is absolutely spot on, refer to it if you have any issues. His drawing of the wastegate actuator is actually pretty damn good lol :yes:

Peace,

Ben.

Yeah that's as I thought, I too had a few drinkies before posting hence the hesitation to install last night :unsure: My package got wet so the diagram included is kinda borked... f**king postman left it on top of my mailbox in the pissing rain

Got mine in the post today... bout to fit to the r34... I am sure I have this right but can I just confirm that I take the rubber line the arrow is pointing to (at the non-turbo end)? Then bypass the solenoid?

PIC:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...md=si&img=57115

Thanks in advance :D

josh reckon you can take pics of the install when you do it, so i don't fk up when i go to do it with my 34? cheers mate

Edited by Howie

cheers mate.

say, i'm new to this too, but would this boost controller wouldn't work in conjunction with this rb25det solenoid mod/hack would it?

also .. are you guys with 34's using the stock boost gauge to check your boost levels? also do you run air/fuel meters to make sure you don't lean out?

Edited by Howie

Hi guys

I have purchased one of these controllers a few months ago for my project and have fitted it this arvo to my RB20 Datsun. I have read up to page 16 and will continue to read the rest tonight but have a question on the installation regarding external gates....

I have a GT35R with 0.63 exhaust and a Turbonetics 38mm gate. On the top of the gate it has a nipple thats marked "vacuum" and on the side of it another nipple marked "boost". I currently have the boost pickup from the manifold to the bottom of the controller and the side of the controller hose goes to the "boost" nipple on the gate. The "vacuum" nipple is not being used. On my first test drive it went to 18psi on half throttle and i tested a couple more times thinking i was dreaming. I pulled the controller apart and the ball was in the side nipple. (my mate was playing with it). I put the ball in the bottom and then the spring on top of it and did it all up again with the bolt just supplying pressure to the spring. Off i go again and wham huge boost again at minimal throttle. The gate has a 9psi spring installed but i would like to run 15psi for the time being.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong.... Other than its a Datsun 120Y.

Cheers

Steve

Hey all,

I've put mine in, reset the ECU at the same time (is this indicated by the demister light flashing red a few times when I start the car after re-connecting the battery?) and took it for a spin.

Faster spooling, definitely quicker down low and a joy to drive! However, with the screw almost completely unwound I'm making around 14psi at 4500rpm, so I'm going to pull it apart again when I have some time to check that nothing is awry - I don't want to exceed 10psi at this point in time.

As for pics, they've been done by someone else (although the have plenty of piping slack):

http://image-cache.skylinesaustralia.com/f...-1129203941.jpg

http://image-cache.skylinesaustralia.com/f...-1129203959.jpg

http://image-cache.skylinesaustralia.com/f...-1129203975.jpg

http://image-cache.skylinesaustralia.com/f...-1129203992.jpg

http://image-cache.skylinesaustralia.com/f...-1129204015.jpg

Ok I posted a thread here about one of these but no one had tried one so i bought one to see how it goes.

I have previously tried 3 boost controllers and this is equally as cood as the Electronic boost controller i had.

Greddy cabin pnumatic bleed valve. spiked like shite and wasnt too good.

Atomic GFB bleed valve. was a little better but still spiked.

GRID single stage electronic boost controller. it was very good and did not spike and it was very accurate.

The one i just bought is a mechanical/pnumatic controller and is well made.

53_1_b.jpg

i drew a little paint sketch to show how it works

lfgkjg.jpg

It builds boost INSTANTLY because the ball does not let any pressure through preventing wastegate creep. Then when it reaches the desired boost level it opens and holds the boost within 1 psi of the set level.

I set it to 12 psi and it does not spike at all! but it does bleed off 1 psi at very high rpm.

The car is now super responsive because it gets to 12 psi alot quicker and holds there.

I bought it of ebay and i suspect the guy who sells them builds them but they are very well made and work incredibly well

Just thought i would post my results for those who are looking for a boost controller.

Is that guy out there still selling these? if not where can i get?.

PM plz....thx in advanced

Hey guys. cant be buggered reading through all the pages. Would like to

Know if anyone is running aroung the 18-19psi mark with one of these.

If so is it holding boost well, spiking issues etc. I've had one now for over

a year but only running 12psi on stock turbo without any issues at all. cheers :laugh: