SAU Community

I found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!

I have had mine for about a year now. It has always spiked about 1psi, then dropped back down. I was never worried as someone posted that was normal/ok. I actually got it on a dyno though, and that spike makes the fuel lean out heaps.

Also, to get 12psi on mine, the 'tap' is JUST gripping the thread. It is ridiculous how much thread it has. If I screw it in 1 turn, I hit 19psi.... have they fixed this in the new one?

Who on here has used these boost controllers on a dyno and watched boost/fuel ? Wondering if mine was stuffed from day 1... Should I buy another or go eletronic?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by eXc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a tuner tell me not to buy an ebc, keep the one i've got because there great

mine spikes a tiny bit about half a psi when it hits full boost and even though my car drops off power at about 5800rpm the boost stays at 14psi all the way through and past redline, afr's stay fine. Yours sounds weird, mine is about in the middle of the thread and is cranking 14psi, so maybe its shagged?

Hi guys,

I have a r34 sedan gt-t. I have no idea about boost controller as i've never installed one before, perviously owning a v8 :sleep:. And i was going to ask you a BIIGGG favour if someone could send me a few pics of how you did it and where its installed, and if you could give me a few pointers on how to install it so i dont get full boost like one member with a r34 was on this forum. If you have a step by step method with a few pics that would be great.

Anyways, i appericiate your time, and if you could help me it would be great

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Cheers!

Thanks guys :)

btw boost tap is turbotech :bomb_ie:

Edited by DRFT31

Hi guys,

I have a r34 sedan gt-t. I have no idea about boost controller as i've never installed one before, perviously owning a v8 :P. And i was going to ask you a BIIGGG favour if someone could send me a few pics of how you did it and where its installed, and if you could give me a few pointers on how to install it so i dont get full boost like one member with a r34 was on this forum. If you have a step by step method with a few pics that would be great.

Anyways, i appericiate your time, and if you could help me it would be great

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Cheers!

Thanks guys :)

btw boost tap is turbotech :)

It's real easy, should only take a couple of minutes to fit. I will try and take some pics tommorrow of mine (also a R34 GTT 4 door) but basically you just plumb in the bottom of the T on the MBC to the wastegate actuator (so you unplug that from the solenoid). Then you pull apart the "Y" shaped hose adapter already in the car and you plumb the other bit of the T on the MBC onto the tube that feed the turbo presure back to the solenoid (bypassing the solenoid altogether). Then you just gotta block of the other thick host that goes back to the BOV plumback pipe (I used a bolt and a cable tie).

Then you just have to adjust it. This is the point you need to be careful, minute changes to the screw changes boost a lot, and its easy to go from 8psi to 15psi by mistake (i did this for a billionth of a second hehe).

I recieved my controller today :) and installed it but have been quite dissapointed with the results :P . Boost comes on quite slowly when you put your foot down from low revs. Also i can't seem to get it to go over 10 - 11psi even with the controller turned in clockwise till it cant go any further. i looked inside and its got the ball and spring n everything but doesn't seem like its woking properly.

I installed it where my old turbosmart bleeder was directly in between the ic piping and the wastgate actuator which used to create boost a lot faster but laged on gear changes and spiked a lil. Something must be wrong with the controller yeh? any idea's? BTW the srew bit is in line with the line coming off the ic piping, as in the screw is perpendicular to the line running to the wastegate- is this correct? Anyone had this issue before or simular?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Edited by R33silverS2

I recieved my controller today ;) and installed it but have been quite dissapointed with the results ;) . Boost comes on quite slowly when you put your foot down from low revs. Also i can't seem to get it to go over 10 - 11psi even with the controller turned in clockwise till it cant go any further. i looked inside and its got the ball and spring n everything but doesn't seem like its woking properly.

I installed it where my old turbosmart bleeder was directly in between the ic piping and the wastgate actuator which used to create boost a lot faster but laged on gear changes and spiked a lil. Something must be wrong with the controller yeh? any idea's? BTW the srew bit is in line with the line coming off the ic piping, as in the screw is perpendicular to the line running to the wastegate- is this correct? Anyone had this issue before or simular?

Any help would be great

Thanks

From your description, it sounds like you have it hooked up correctly.

Try taking it apart (don't lose the ball or spring) and make sure the spring isn't catching on the thread inside. I remember a few others having this issue.

Ok got my car back and first thing i did was take the turbotech off and pull it apart. I couldn't really tell if the spring was catching as i just tipped the controller upside down to get the ball and spring out. Anyways i turned the spring around so that the flat part was against the ball - it was the other way when i got it, and carefully made sure the spring wasn't getting caught and voila! works great now holds 10psi goes up to about 11 or so at times but my car has always had terrible boost creep.

When i first took it apart and re-assmebled it something must have gotten stuck cos it was on unlimited boost i think and got to 15psi by 3000rpm till i totally freaked out... :thumbsup: Anyways problem fixed either turning the spring around fixed it and the spring was stuck or something but works great now. :O

oh sorry, read ur post/s wrong. I thought you took it apart... got your problem... posted in here, then you took it apart again and fixed it. I thought you buggered it the first time you took it apart... i didn't realise that this was AFTER you had the problem.

oh well... all good :D does yours have a little hold drilled in the top?

oh sorry, read ur post/s wrong. I thought you took it apart... got your problem... posted in here, then you took it apart again and fixed it. I thought you buggered it the first time you took it apart... i didn't realise that this was AFTER you had the problem.

oh well... all good >_< does yours have a little hold drilled in the top?

Oh i see, Yeh it was when i tried to fix it cos at first it wouldn't boost at all - as in it was turned all the way in and would just go to 6psi and slowly climb. so when i opened it up and put it back in it did the opposite! probably was gonna go to infinite boost cos it got to 15 before i though ohh sh#t. Anyways holds now, but one thing ive found though is there is quite a bit of lag on the gear changes. Anyone else experienced this? mine doesn't have the hole in the top, I'm assuming this is why?