SAU Community

New Brake Pads Fitted - Still making Noise

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends which Bendix pads you have. The ultimates don't squeel (just dump dust everywhere) but most pads with metal content will. the only cure is to give them a periodic hammering. Better still, don't use the cheaper of the Bendix pads. (just my humble opinion)

Mate i had Bendix Ultimates in my car and i have to say they were the worst pads i have ever used. they made heps of noise under all types of braking conditions and were very dusty. i had two sets put into the car and still heps of noise dust. i personally willn't use them again, but thats just me

I am on my second set of bendix pads up front, and 1st on the rear, and I have never heard any noise come from the pad. Furthermore, for daily street driving, they perform great! On the track, I wouldn't know....

I had RB74's and they squeeled like a mofo. I don't think I installed the anti squeel shims properly though, b/c I put too much anti squeel glue on them... When I took them out after 1000km, they were cracked, I wouldn't buy them again, even though they did a VERY good job of stopping the car....

I rang the mechanic yesterday he said after a week if they are still making noise bring them back

its so embaracing when i stop @ lights

this lady goes to me "love i think you need new brakes"

but so far im not impressed

My pads are really loud after a wakefield day where I did go off into the dust.

Does anyone know the best way to clean the brakes?

no idea ask " HCR32" (barney) he has a user guide on a thread he posted

Most of the noise has gone how ever there still is a little bit of noise, which was not there before. Ill never go bendix again.

We have 5 cars, all have Bendix Ultimates and have some years, never had a problem.  Don't blaim the pad for poor installation:cheers:

Well thats the thing, im not a mechanic but putting in pads should be a simple thing i didnt think you can get it wrong and the effect being noises pads!!!

my question is how can poor installation make pads go noises?

Well thats the thing, im not a mechanic but putting in pads should be a simple thing i didnt think you can get it wrong and the effect being noises pads!!!

my question is how can poor installation make pads go noises?

A few standard procedures for pad replacement, I always;

1. clean the pistons of the old pad dust, dirt and grit that accumulates there

2. clean and refit the stainless steel backing plates

3. clean and re-lube the sliding shafts and ramps (if they are single spot callipers)

4. clean and smooth the pad retaining shafts (if they are 4/2 spot callipers)

5. retension all the calliper retaining bolts with a tension wrench

6. remove and clean the rotors, not just the braking surface, but behind the hat where it seats on the hub. I also give them a light hit with some course emmery.

The concept is to remove any particles from the contact areas that can cause rocking or vibration. That's what most often makes brakes noisy, high frequency vibration. It is most unusual for pads to cause noise from their friction action on the rotor surface.

:thumbsup:

well i had the same problem and took it back one week after install (today). The mechanic told me doesnt matter what you do they will always squel spesh with skylines. I'm like hmm... ok. I left the car there for a dyno but next time i'll have to go somewhere else for brake stuff. I won't settle for "u can't do anything about it". Thing is they are a pretty respectible mechanic/tuner in vic thats y i went there. pretty dodgy, i booked last friday for service, pads, rotor machine and dyno. I asked what time, they said 5. I get there at five, had to wait for them to finish half an hour, no biggie. But i Could see the mechanics just doing a rush job on the car. When i went to pay: "I'm sorry we didn't have time to dyno ur car we were too busy with bigger jobs". i was like u could have told me and i would have left it till the job i asked was done. n e ways off topic soz. end rant...

i have the same problem, with the bendix ultimates, and there new aswell... it makes ur car look cheap LOL, but i find that it stops after a little hammering too,